NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Tara

Hello everyone. I don't currently own a grey, nor do I have one coming home soon. I'm just trying to do all the research humanly possible so I know what I'm getting myself into!

I have a lot of questions about greys that are as of yet unanswered, but I'm hoping to find the answers on these forums.

I believe that in the coming months, I'll be as ready as possible for a grey. My work schedule is 100% adjustable, I mostly stay at home, my landlord gave me the a-okay, and I've wanted one all my life. I'm nervous though! I live on my own, and my boyfriend doesn't want one, but he comes over every night. We have no plans of living together in the near future, but I don't want any animosity whatsoever towards an animal in the house. I have to help him fall in love with greys first... That's gonna take a few months. I know he'll love them eventually (how can you not?), and then I'll get one. Until then, research, lurking on these forums, etc. I'll live my African Grey dreams vicariously through you guys.

Cheers.

Welcome ;-) I'm new here too. So good that you are doing research first before getting your bird. I hope you don't mind my comments here. Of course, I don't know you or your situation, so I hope that I am not stepping over the line.

There are so many things to consider. Good that you have permission from your landlord. Only thing is to think about is that a grey lives a long time and really truly bonds to you ... please make sure that you are committed to finding a place where he or she will be welcome if you have to move at some point. It would be heart breaking to have to re-home a bird for that reason. As for your boyfriend ... good luck! I hope you are right and that he does fall in love with your bird. If not ... what would you do if you already had the bird? Something to think about and be prepared for. I say this from experience in that one of my birds (a maroon bellied conure) was re-homed to me at 15 months because the girl that owned him had a boyfriend who didn't like the bird. I've had this bird for almost 9 years now. I always wonder if the girl regretted giving Pinza up. He's such a sweet heart. Sadly, it was evident to me that this particular girl's boyfriend wasn't particularly nice based on what my sweet little Pinza would say (language he learned while at their home.) Personally, in her case she would have been better to keep the bird and not the boyfriend! Of course, this is not always the case!

My husband does not particularly like my birds, but he has learned to accept them, and even though he claims not to like them ... I do see him sharing his apple with my birds and talking and visiting them when I'm not looking ;-) They have learned words that he has taught them (and I'm happy to say most are good ones, none are swear words ;) I'm lucky though, he and I both believe that if we have a genuine interest in something we should try to support each other even if the other one isn't feeling the same way. We live one life that we know of ... it is important to fulfill our dreams whenever possible.

Anyway, i've babbled probably far more than you would want me too. Good luck learning as much as you can about greys. They truly are wonderful and amazing companions. My Lady Pym gives me joy every day. So do my other birds ;-)

I plan on living in this building for many years... It's perfect for me. If I do have to move, I will find a place that will take my bird - no exceptions. My city is pretty cheap to live in so I could rent a house if I wanted to. As for the living long thing, that's why I want a grey sooner than later. I'm 20 now, and I would rather the bird live his entire life with me. Working at the SPCA I saw what happened to AGs who's owners died, and that's not an option for me.

I will not get a bird until my bf is accepting of it. Little by little I will brainwash him into loving them! On Sunday he's taking me to the Niagara aviary, so that's step no. 1! (:

My boyfriend is a huge animal lover (he held a snake for the first time last night, so proud!) and I believe his biggest concern is how much work they take and noise they make!

He would never leave me because of a bird, but I would also never leave a creature that depends on me entirely for him.

A friend of mine is also interested in getting a CAG so I'm hoping he can fall in love with her bird too and be okay with me getting one.

Thank you so much for your input! It's good for me to have to think of all possibilities. (:

Ahhh, I hope so! If I do get a grey, it won't be for over 6 months. I want more experience with birds first, and I need to know that this isn't just an impulse thing. Just because I've wanted one all of my life and I now have the opportunity to get one doesn't mean I should have one. Lots of thinking and planning and making sure I'm good enough for a birdie is ahead of me!

Oh, Tara ... your answers make me so happy ;-) You will be the perfect bird parent. ;-) It does sound like you are being very responsible in every way. My TAG is on her 9th home with me (although she is about 41 years old now), and I will never part with her. Some of her homes have been good ones, some not. She's been lucky for the last 14 years for sure (me 1 1/2 years, and her previous owner was excellent with her.) She is so sweet and gentle despite all the upheaval in her life. I love her to bits and could never part with her, although in her previous owner's case, it was the right decision to re-home ... it is a sad set of circumstances really.

I hope that you find the information that you need here ;-)

Welcome Tara. You are such a good prospect for being a Grey parent. Don't forget there is a TAG too! LOL They can sometimes be a little less temid and nervous than a CAG. This, of course, is not always true, but usually is. Good luck to you and your boyfriend and your future baby.

Brat birds,

I've heard so many varying "differences" between the two subspecies I'm starting to believe there isn't any, but individuals have such different personalities.

Hello Tara and welcome to our family.

I am so glad to hear you are doing your research before you commit to owning one of these magnificient creatures, I can assure you won't be disappointed that way for forewarned is forearmed, I look forward to hearing more from you as you ask questions and there are no stupid questions so ask away.

Tara, you are right that in general the difference are little. The TAG is a bit smaller with slightly differences in color. But, looking at many of each species. the differences seen in many are as luvparrots said. The TAGs seem to be a bit more outgoing and more accepting of change. Still not as accepting as other parrots though.. You can always end up with an individual who doesn't follow the norm.