NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The rest of the flock.

Steve 2

Toulouse is my almost 1 year old Tag. Toulouse likes my son (19 years old). Jae is very thoughtful around Toulouse. He moves slowly around Toulouse, speaks with a soft voice, and offers occasional treats. But Toulouse will run up his shoulder to gnaw on Jae's ears. He did this with me and after a lot of corrections has finally left my ears alone mostly. My wife is another thing altogether. She does not get the point that sudden movements, loud noise, and other quick actions cause anxiety. It's not in her nature to do anything slowly. Toulouse enjoys Mary's company when she sits by his cage and he is in it. She'll speak to him and offer treats. I think he believes she can't get at him if he is in his cage. Odd thing is that Toulouse has learned all his vocabulary from Mary. I think Toulouse has observed what all us husbands know to be true (at least if you are still married), when your significant other speaks you need to listen! Wondering what other flock relationships are out there.

I've noticed that Timber (my TAG) has a different relationship with each family member. I'm his "safety net" and the "mother" I think. When he is out and about and gets startled or scared, he runs straight up my arm or leg (whichever is closer). My 20 year old son is the one he seems to "love." He gets so excited when Dakota comes around (he is in college) that he can hardly contain himself. But, he doesn't totally trust him. My husband is his playmate. He plays ball with him, runs from one side of the cage to the other pretending to "get him" etc. Obviously, he is much superior to the cats (in his mind), but he tolerates them. He tries to get their attention and toys with them by making sounds and startling them. He's picked up words from everyone in the house. I remember reading one time that they can pick up words at certain pitches more easily than others, primarily women and children. I don't know if that is true or not, maybe someone here with more experience knows. I will say that Timber has picked up more words from my husband than the rest of us since he has been here.

My son and wife make a noise to each other like when you drill your R's. Toulouse will often make the same sound when you call his name. Thanks for the post. At first I thought it was important for Toulouse to have the same quality relationship with everyone in the house. But not everyone in the house wanted a parrot. Thankfully everyone is an animal lover so we tend to adjust.

Steve 2... Greys, if left to their own choice, will choose one member of the flock as their favorite. Thru socialization and routine exposure to the flock, as well as giving responsibilities to the rest of flock when caring for the grey, a relationship can develop with each family member. Sophie loves all of us equally. Just for different reasons. We all satisfy a certain " need". One of us just does better than someone else. I keep her safe and fed.Sean is fun, plays hide n seek, and tolerates her curiosity when he is trying to fix something. Ryan is the fun one.... plays the guitar and sings too her. She will stepup to anyone of us. This behavior and trust, does take time. Nancy