NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking into "imping"

trancework

I have no knowledge of impinging, but I do know that my TAG came with a horrible clip. Uneven, too many and too short. But he did learn to fly when his next feathers came in. He was over a year, but learned fast after the first couple of flights. I did nothing to help but did incourage him.

I did a little research into imping and it is done mostly for birds who were clipped and have a history of breaking emerging flights to offer support of the new feather on either side. My guy had what the vet called a severe clip. At just over a year he has lost and replaced 2 sets of flights and just lost another pair the other day. Thankfully his new ones grew in fine, with no breakage.

Parrot university is the first and only place that has started imping parrots. It is mainly macaws, but they could do a grey. Macaws are more like a puppy dog mentality versus a grey is neurotic and fearful. Give Parrot University a call and speak with them or email them.

(Maggie typing for Jay...Jay's too lazy to type..LOL):P:D

As most know, my feelings toward imping is only in case of emergency. Dan's analogy really hits the nail on the head. It's more than likely that a Grey, at first chance, will do everything in their power to remove the foreign feather from its body or go neurotic trying. Thanks, Jay

Thank you for the replies. I spoke with our vets today and they do not do it nor have they heard of it being done with a grey. My plan is to let nature run its course with a molt of his flights. In the meantime, we'll keep exercising him. I guess [insert bass line] impin' ain't easy.

Thank you, your a wise man......Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my CAG. I live in Miami and none of the vets did imping here. If you contact Parrot University they can find the feathers for you. I found a raptor rehab biologist and she was going to do it but Dali started his molt and we decided to let nature take its course.

I was hoping to follow you through the forum if you were able to have this done. We are not too sure how hold Gilbert is but he has not flown in his two years plus with me, nor reportedly in the two and a half years prior with his most recent caretaker. Its hard to know whether his flight is impaired due to prior plucking, or if he just doesn't know how to fly. I wish there was a magic wand to bring this gift to him. Our smaller parrot came to us at about four months of age with a brutal cut and it took almost a year and a half for her to be flighted. She doesn't seem to have any ill effects from what seemed like a long time in her formative months. If you give Ollie a lift to where you are going and give him lots of locations to perch around your home, he will be flying and getting into things on his own soon. It is very sweet for you to look into helping him have his flight, I dream of Gilbert being able to fly some day and I am not giving up on that.

I was hoping to follow you through the forum if you were able to have this done. We are not too sure how hold Gilbert is but he has not flown in his two years plus with me, nor reportedly in the two and a half years prior with his most recent caretaker. Its hard to know whether his flight is impaired due to prior plucking, or if he just doesn't know how to fly. I wish there was a magic wand to bring this gift to him. Our smaller parrot came to us at about four months of age with a brutal cut and it took almost a year and a half for her to be flighted. She doesn't seem to have any ill effects from what seemed like a long time in her formative months. If you give Ollie a lift to where you are going and give him lots of locations to perch around your home, he will be flying and getting into things on his own soon. It is very sweet for you to look into helping him have his flight, I dream of Gilbert being able to fly some day and I am not giving up on that.

Hi , Imping and Greys aren't always the best way to go as Trancework mentioned. Joe, if you remember took almost 4 years to fly, this isn't unusual my lady, use your best asset, patience......Jay