NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice on taking Irwin out of cage.

Earthchild

Today was birdmart and we got Irwin a bunch of goodies we need to put in his cage. We don't want him to hurt himself breaking out while we move stuff so we are going to take him out of his cage. He does not step up, so what is the best way to get him out of and back into the cage? (least stressful and without breaking trust.)

I tried placing containers of toys on the cage bottom and my guy wants nothing to do with them, even when he can see a beloved treat resting on the top. I have also tried placing perches in low spots with treat topped toy boxes near by and still no go. I have had the most success with a wooden bucket that hangs and I try to rotate the objects weekly. Now if only I could correctly guess the toys that he wants to play with today since the ones he wanted yesterday are now deemed unworthy of his attention and the one that he has ignored for the past 6 months is now the greatest thing ever. :)

Yep, that is life with a Grey. No telling what they or going to like or when they will like it.

I know of no way to get him in and out of the cage - today, with no training, without upsetting him.

You do need to work on either step-up or letting him come out on his own.

Then, having a way to get him back to the cage. Mine are trained to go back on command. I love it!

If Irwin is hand shy, you might use your arm, my Grey prefers it most of the time.

Good luck.

EarthChild - How did this go? Greys are notoriously fearful of new toys. You normally do not want to place them in the cage with out first letting them eyeball the new toys from a distance placed a few feet away from the cage. Then hanging them on the outside of the cage once you know they have gotten used to it after a few days, then lastly placing them in the cage.

Hi Shelbie. I went back to read your introduction post. You've only had Irwin since the beginning of March, so you're in very early days. You and I know that everything you're offering is fun, healthy, and exciting, but to Irwin it's all just NEW. In most of African Grey world, NEW=BAD. It took months for my Dorian to come out of his cage on his own, and years before he would step up from inside it. I really advise you to re-think what fast and slow is. Does Irwin come out of his cage and wander around on the outside at all? That was Dorian's first move toward freedom. I spent literally hundreds of hours sitting on the floor infront of his cage, or in a chair beside it, just hanging out. I let him see me interact with the cat, playing with toys, petting, cuddling, grooming. I started to take small parrot toys, pretend to offer them to Jac, then show them to Dorian. If he moved away in fear from the toy I'd remove it immediately. If he moved towards it at all I'd praise the heck out of him. Eventually he got brave enough to 'beak' it, then touch it with a talon, then after a long while take it from me.

I put a perch on the outside of the cage near to wherever I was sitting. Soon, Dorian was coming out and sitting on the perch near to me. This was huge because there wasn't the safety of the bars of the cage between us. Then I started to introduce larger toys to him. Start out with them across the room when you unpack them. Dorian was always less afraid of toys if he saw me making them in front of him. With larger, store bought things like his boing it took weeks, slowly moving it closer and closer to his cage, then hooking it on the outside right at the bottom, then slowly up the side of the cage. At any sign of fear I would move back one step. This isn't 'babying' them. What you are doing is proving to your bird that you are paying attention to their warnings of danger, and that makes you a trustworthy flock member. Soon, he will look to you for clues about safety. Now, when something statles Dorian the first thing is does is look to see what my reaction is. When he sees I'm not scared he trusts that evaluation and calms right down. So, even though you want to show Irwin how full and exciting his new home is, and how much you want to provide everyting he's been deprived of up to now, just take a deep breath and REALLY let him come along at his own pace. It is worth it, I promise. :)

Edited by Acappella

To danmcq- well we left the cage open and eventually he came out. He landed on the floor and wandered around for a little bit before perching on the bottom of our cageside chair. His wings are clipped so he couldn't get back to the cage if he wanted to unfortunately. We put the new perch in and moved his old stuff around as suggested by a fellow Grey owner I met at birdmart. He did get pretty worked up especially when we had to put him back. After I got him in the blanket I held him for a few minutes and he calmed down for the most part, then we went to the door of the cage and let him climb back in.

I honestly thought he would hate me for all of that but he has shown no signs of lost progress. He also is using the new perch perfectly fine and discovering new sides to his old toys. Also he let me pet him for a second the next morning.

As for the new toy it is slowly migrating from the coffee table to the outside of his cage as suggested. And the rest of the goodies were new food and treats (sorry for not clarifying).

Glad to hear that it went so well. Other than being wrapped in the towel you did nothing that would upset him. And you said he calmed down in the towell so that didn't upset him either. My Grey H A T E S a towel or blanket, but still holds no ill will towards me when I have to use one on him. You are doing great.

Oh believe me Irwin hates it too. We had to dig him out from under the couch. Then he bit me through two layers of blanket and broke skin. Then growled for a few minutes. I just stared at the tv and whispered to him until he stopped. Then he started pulling threads out of the blanket xD I would have held him longer but the blanket layers made him hot. I just wish the blanket didn't have to be a thing, but hey maybe it helped a bit.

To danmcq- well we left the cage open and eventually he came out.He did get pretty worked up especially when we had to put him back. After I got him in the blanket I held him for a few minutes and he calmed down for the most part, then we went to the door of the cage and let him climb back in. He also is using the new perch perfectly fine and discovering new sides to his old toys. Also he let me pet him for a second the next morning. As for the new toy it is slowly migrating from the coffee table to the outside of his cage as suggested. And the rest of the goodies were new food and treats (sorry for not clarifying).

For the first outing and changing around the cage layout with perches, it sounds like things went as well as they could considering the newness of our home to him. You did well and there are times a towel or blanket is the only option for both your safety. As time progresses your love, patience and gentle care will melt that fear away and the relationship will grow. :)

Should we do it more often? My significant other wants to take him out more, he read online about this parrot trainer who does it as his training. I told him no because I thought it would make him lose progress, but he didn't this last time. o.O

I'd like to add this. Toweling used properly is okay, it's when it's used as the only means is it bad. Always use toweling as a last means, a vet has to do it in most cases during a visit. Try everything else first. A grey will over time if used to often resent it. So each time you have your fid out try different means of getting them back in the cage. It's easier to pick up a Grey if their on the floor, always put your hand from the front, standing in front of you fid. Thanks Jay

I'd like to add this. Toweling used properly is okay, it's when it's used as the only means is it bad. Always use toweling as a last means, a vet has to do it in most cases during a visit. Try everything else first. A grey will over time if used to often resent it. So each time you have your fid out try different means of getting them back in the cage. It's easier to pick up a Grey if their on the floor, always put your hand from the front, standing in front of you fid. Thanks Jay

trancework...this is a copy of my reply to Earthchild's PM to me. (??)

I would continue to let Irwin out at times when you have a long stretch of time to let him explore. If it's only going to be for 1/2 and hour I wouldn't. That's because, if he's out for a long time, he'll get hungry or thirsty and want to go back. Does Irwin have a food he really loves? Use it for bribery. Let him see you put it in his food dish, or keep a dish that's dedicated to treats. If it's at night that you're trying to get him to step up, start gradually dimming the lights in the room. That will give him the cue that's it's bedtime, and it also tends to make them more compliant because their vision in the dark isn't great. Have you tried stepping him up onto a portable perch? If he's on the floor try directing him to the perch. If he steps onto it, even accidentaly because he's trying to avoid your hand, praise the heck out of him. Always tell him what you're doing. Dorian knows that when I tell him it's "time to go home" he's going back to his cage, and there's always a 'good boy treat' there waiting for him. You'll get it figured out. <3

I didn't actually have to "towel" Timber to get him back in the cage or in the carrier. I was afraid of the towel, so I held it to steer him in the direction I wanted him to go. When I first got him and he wouldn't go back in the cage when it was time, a few times I had to get the towel. I would just say "go on Timber" and hold the towel up and he would make a beeline for the age. I didn't like doing that because there are times he has to be toweled (like at the vets). However, I felt that it was either that or keep his cage door closed which I wasn't willing to do. After we developed a routine and he knew when cage time was coming (like when I have to leave for work, bedtime, etc.) I didn't need the towel any more. It's important to tell your bird what you are doing, because they learn what words mean. For instance, when I say "gotta go to work" Timber knows he goes in the cage and starts heading that way.

Ooops, didn't mean to be repetitive! Acappella's post didn't come up when I hit new and posted this.

. Jay and trancework... bury the hatchet. Nancy

Hey Nancy, I don't quite understand your post? trancework and I get along great, no hactchet anywhere, he posted, I thought it was for me but didn't understand it, i replied, he replied, end of story, we communicated. Thanks

Jayd... sorry. I was detecting tension between you guys from other posts. Glad all is good because I like you both. Nancy

Hi Nancy, always remember when we assume, we make a ass [out of] u [and] me. LOL, You should know the only person I agree with is myself lol...................................Thanks Jay