NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

throught people may like this

aw64

Flighted birds just feel right, I do understand the safety issues that guide some decision making. Flighted Greys at our house but not all are expert flyers, some just lazy. However the Too's make it more challenging to keep up with their shall we say creative side?

I wasn't given the option but Jake has molted out and grown in 2 flights on each side and and dropped a clipped flight from each side yesterday. If he can continue staying away from the varnished wood he will be allowed to be fully flighted. The new flight feathers have allowed him to go greater distances and yesterday he learned to hover.

aw64... I certainly appreciate and respect your decision to allow your bird to be fully flighted. This site supports it 100% I just think it is important that we encourage owners who choose to " trim", not feel that they shouldn't be on this site, or choose " not to tell us what they do!"I have done both! The only regret I have had, was Sophie didn't learn how to fly as a baby and develop her flying skills, chest muscles. BUT.... I didn't become her mom until two. After that, we practiced flying. The only TRUE experience I had, was with Kiki. She was encouraged to fly, we practiced flying with two people at all times. When she got more irritable, out of control, I did trim her. She could still fly within three rooms but couldn't fly everywhere. My trimmer could trim her to what I needed while dealing with her " out of control" behavior.She ALWAYS was fully flighted, but took a moment to " talk" to us,.I don't regret any of my trimming. They all fly like crazy, but I don't regret, having my birds take a moment, to learn a few things.

Many will comment... " OMG! How could you trim your bird?" I can respond.... I did so, so my bird would take the time for me to teach acceptable behavior. They learned acceptable behavior, as well as chewing was NOT acceptable, dogs were part of the family, the humans are to be tolerated, if not loved.Six months is all it took. Noone gets bit... birds love the dogs, dogs love the birds, birds stepup to the entire family.It worked for us. A decade later....HEAVEN! Nancy

I just love seeing them fly, except for Gus when he flys AT us. Lol. The funnest thing is when non bird people are over and the birds fly to us from just a whistle, the look of awe on their face is priceless! Saturday, a friend stopped by to talk with Pat, all the birds were out and quiet, he didn't even notice them. Gus took flight and went around the living room, then down the hallway to his cage where he played quietly. ( this was the first time he has ever done this, we were so proud and the guy that was here was like, why are you guys so excited, isn't he supposed to do that? If he only knew of our challanges with Guster! )

Guest Jocelyn

We got Romeo in September, they had done a very bad clip job a few months prior. He still cant fly he trys now and again but he kinda falls on his bum and his tail feathers are all mucked up. I wonder if romeo will ever fly :(

I am fine with trimming, so they can still fly and hover a bit but romeo cant even balance properly on your hand, sad.

arrrrh bless lets hope in time feathers re grow and he learns how to be a bird, so sad but most important he has a loving home................even a mom who checks the baby sitter has remembered last feed lol

Jocelyn Poor romeo! He will get there! I HATE when birds are clipped! There is such a difference between clipping and trimming, but any baby needs to learn 100% flying. He will get there, but make sure you practice flying in a room with two people, One to take off the other to receive the bird. We have a room that is huge! We had no funiture on the other side of room ( landing). Unfortunately, it did take Sophie 10 years to learn to fly to her own delight. It wasn't us to complete her journey but our Amazon who could fly everywhere. I guess Kiki got tired of watching Sophie fly so strangely. Nancy