NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

is this uv light ok for my grey

jjcool

No. Someone with more experience will chime in, but reptile lights are not the same. Here is an example of an avian bulb:

http://www.amazon.com/FeatherBrite-15-Watt-Full-Spectrum-Bulb/dp/B0002JOYMO/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_5

This is correct. Please find an Avian specific lamp stand and bulb as the link Karen provided displays.

Here is another link as well just to give you an idea. http://www.arcadia-aquatic.com/birdproduct/

The first post you sent with the url as specifically reptile. There is a huge difference between avian versus reptile light requirements. The lamp holder appears the same, but the bulbs would be different.

Yes, make sure it is Bird specific. I bought a light that came with a bulb which said avian and reptile. I used it for 21/2 weeks, 2 vet visits, eye drops into my greys eye for 5-7 days.....no results, then I realized the new bulb was giving her eye a sunburn instead of an infection which the vet thought.......took lots of thought trying to figure outif she bumped it, got injured, infections......it was terrible.

This is the one I used and Talon got sunburned. I threw it away and replaced it with a different one.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AvianSun-Deluxe-Floor/dp/B006L49LHC/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

I use the Featherbrite bulb in a new lite and have never had any problems.

Edited by Talon

I'm confused as well. I was advised to get "full spectrum" lighting--which I did. It wasn't bird specific though. Now I wonder if it is right or not.

Which bulb or tube did you buy specifically. If it has uva and uvb components then your ok.

I really do believe you have to get the avian light for your birds. The others could be cheaper but just not sure how safe that would be. And i would definitely say no to the flood light for reptiles. I have spent soo much time and energy on the light bulbs that all i can say is save yourself a lot of trouble and just purchase the avian light. Not many pet stores carry them so you would have to get them online like at drfostersandsmith or if anyone recommends another outlet. I also think vitamin c is not what light provides but believe it to vitamin e.

I'm posting this in hopes of unscrambling this often asked question. Zoo-Meds ReptiSun 5.0 and there Avian 5.0 are the same bulb, Full spectrum UVB-UVA. I spent quite awhile speaking with them about it[There's a copy of the post on the Forum somewhere] . A parrot requires a low dose of UVA-UVB, some repitiles and terreiums require low dose's also, now, some UVB come with high-dose and a heat lamp attached, BAD!!!!!

To answer "Full spectrum" doesn't necessarily mean it has UVA-UVB, check your bulb spec's. Now, "Sunburn". any UVB-UVA bulb can produce sunburn, depending how close you place the bulb. There's always a break in distance example 25inches new and 20inches 1 month old.... To the original question jjcool, yes I beleave there the same thing, just like ZooMeds, but check the specs out first.....UVB provides D3,, a Grey gets very little D from food or other sources, the Grey doesn't adsorb it well that's why sun is so important to our Grey's,

Edited by Jayd

Not sure who the manufacturer of this bulb is, but 10 percent UVB is too high for bird applications. That is reptile level UVB.

You want 5 percent UVB output. Also, this lamp mount has no reflector which just allows the light to go in all directions rather than focused downwards on the cage.

Just to clarify me previous post. My light was not close to Talon's cage. It was on a stand, and was over 18 inches away from her. I am not sure if it was the reflector that made it burn her or what, but as soon as I changed the light and threw that one away, her eye nd skin healed up quickly.

I use these lights and rest them on the top of their cages. I have uses these for years, but when Talon's broke, I bought the previous one I mentioned. Never again!

http://www.featherbrite.com/whcaunli.html

Just to clarify me previous post. My light was not close to Talon's cage. It was on a stand, and was over 18 inches away from her. I am not sure if it was the reflector that made it burn her or what, but as soon as I changed the light and threw that one away, her eye nd skin healed up quickly.

I use these lights and rest them on the top of their cages. I have uses these for years, but when Talon's broke, I bought the previous one I mentioned. Never again!

http://www.featherbrite.com/whcaunli.html

Heres the manual for Zoo-Meds, It a lot stronger then Featherbrite,Like you said, it could have been the reflector. I only use Zoo-Meds, but at 24 inches instead of the recommended 18 inches. Sun burn is a common problem...Thanks Penny.....

AvianSun Self Ballasted

Compact Fluorescent Lamp™

Item # AS-C5

AvianSun Floor Lamp Item # AFL-10

UVA & UVB COMPACT

FLUORESCENT LAMP

INSTRUCTIONS

Congratulations on your purchase of

Zoo Med’s AvianSun 5.0

UVB Compact Fluorescent Lamp;

your birds will thank you!

The following instructions will assist you in setting up your new

lamp.

Lamp Fixture:

This bulb is designed for use with

Zoo Med’s AvianSun Deluxe

Floor Lamp

fixture (Item AFL-10). See the following photo for an

example of the correct setup.

Note o

N

L

amp bur

N

i

N

:

Compact fluorescent lamps have a “burn in” period when the

light and UVB output is at its greatest. For your new

AvianSun

5.0 Compact Fluorescent Lamp

, this period lasts about two

weeks when the lamp is used to provide a normal photoperiod

or day/night cycle at 10 to 12 hours per day (150 hours of use).

Refer to the following chart for

recommended distances

during

and after the burn in period.

Zoo Med’s AvianSun Deluxe

Floor Lamp

is fully adjustable enabling you to easily adjust the

distance of the lamp to your bird’s cage or perch.

Zoo Med’s Adjustable

AvianSun Deluxe Floor

Lamp (Item # AFL-10)

distance*

See application chart for correct distance

*please email or phone us with any questions you may have.

email: zoomed@zoomed.com

08-07

*Notes o

N

operati

N

g ra

N

ge:

*The Recommended Distance refers to the distance from the

lamp to your bird’s perch. The lamp should be placed directly

overhead of your bird.

DO NOT

place the lamp on the side of the

cage causing your bird to stare into the lamp.

WARNING:

DO

NOT place the lamp closer to your bird than the recommended

distances listed above as eye damage may occ

I hope this will help in the quest for UVB. Full spectrum light bulb that meet Featherbrite spec's can be purchased at Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowe's etc, 14watt for around $6.00,there labeled Full spectrum Daylight compact florescent bulbs. Their a full spectrum with very little UVB/UVA output. Featherbrites instructions state to use them along with natural sunlight at the brightest part of the day.[?]

A true UVB bulb is made with a special Quartz glass, like ZooMeds. We use Walmart full spectrum daylight bulbs throughout the house and Zoomeds at each parrot station.........Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd