NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can a Human flu transfer to a bird?

chezron

There are some strains of flu etc that can transfer human/bird bird/human, also a parrot can become a carrier. It's best to keep separated, especially trash.

Jayd is absolutely correct. All of our flu pandemics and epidemics occur when animal virus mix with human virus (possibly some sharing goes back and forth) throw in a little mutating and presto a new virus.

As a side note Jake still reminds us of when we were so sick this past winter. He learned several different sneezes, nose blowing, and several different coughs as we went through the stages of being sick and recovering.

I'm sorry to those who are unaware of this. Zoonotic diseases are illnesses that animals can transmit to humans, and birds are responsible for more than 60 of them. The infectious agents that birds can spread are either protozoa, fungal, bacterial, chlamydia or viral. The seriousness of these diseases and infections varies with the victim's age, immunity status, health status and stage at which the disease is detected. It also depends on the organism's virulence, exposure time and the route of infection.

From CDC:http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/animals/birds.htm

Viruses are generally species specific, with few exceptions. Your bird cant catch a cold or flu virus from you. Your bird can catch a few parasites and bacterial infections however, and can likewise transmit these to you. You should avoid allowing your bird having contact with any mucus membranes or body fluids to avoid bacterial transfer. This is pretty easy, we are talking saliva, urine, feces etc, the same precautions you should take with other people. Even if you are sick, washing your hands with normal soap and water should be sufficient to prevent any bacterial transfer. Keep in mind that most organisms you carry are completely harmless.

I have had the flu for the last week or so. I live alone so I am the only one to care for my pets/birds. They are healthy and giving me lots of trouble as usual. Of course I do not kiss my pets although I have been giving them scratches. Sterling does cough but, he mimics just about anything he hears. I should be in such great shape and health as they are. I wash my hands and cover my mouth when I sneeze or cough, the same consideration I give humans, I give to my pets.

• 2 weeks later...