NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

the oddest thing

jbsmomto1

or maybe it isn't but its new for us.

My daughter started the recorder in school and needed to bring it home for the weekend to practice it (please save me now lol)...Storm was ok with it not making any noise, but when she or I played it he started making a sound like a really congested person, than let out this weird noise.....i am wondering if the noise was a growl, since you probably won't know unless you hear it, here is a link to a quick video, ... I have never heard a grey growl though I know that they do it....he is ok to look at it and even perch on it, but the second noise starts to come out this is what he does... than as you can see he does one loud sqwak...We put it away and she can practice in her room but never in a room he is in ...

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/beaniebabysmommy/media/weird001_zpsdbafe6cf.mp4.html

jbsmomto1 LOL! Oh NOOOOOOO not the recorder! Been there done that. Watched the video... Storm is interested in the sound. This is not a growl, but an attempt to find his voice. Music should be exposed to your bird as much as possible. They love it! Have your daughter to continue practicing in a general room, that Storm can hear....maybe even watch. We've gone thru the violin, saxaphone, piano, and guitar. Kiki the Amazon is partial to the violin, while Sophie loves the guitar. When they did the drums....Sophie got into the beat.( not so much me!) W#hen I play the piano.... they all go crazy and LOVE it! Nancy

I disagree all. Sorry! I'm out numbered.... and now this bird will be limited to exposure to music. A very big disappointment for me. Nancy

Nancy. Did you listen to the video? Misty loves music as do I but if I dared to subject him to that particular "musical" genre he would through me out!

Steve n Misty

Yes....I watched it again. It wasn't growling! Sophie started with the recorder, did the same thing. We progressed over the years. When Sean did a certain note on the violin... Kiki chipped in.Her love of Opera, started with Sean and the violin. Sophie eventualy loved the guitar with Ryan singing. Whether kids suck on an instrument, it is part of the family, and birds learn to love and appreciate their playing. ( whether it is good or bad!) I'm glad that eventually my kids got good with the instruments that they play now. Kids off at college now. Sophie and Kiki miss them playing their instruments. Nancy

oh trust me, his exposure is not limited as we listen to all types of music in this house, music is a big part of our lives so he isn't sheltered in anyway at all. However even though I won't allow her to play the recorder with him in the room. he CAN hear it from the other rooms where she is in and he IS fine with that, but as soon as he hears the music from it he gets a little upset IF he can see it...she had me up at the butt crack of dawn with her practising and he wasn't bothered by it at all. Nobody in this house is ever deprived of music, ever.

Glad to hear that. Even though I feel it wasn't a growl, it really doesn't matter if it was! Baby would need to learn this sound,is a part of life! Part of the family. I've been thinking of getting rid of the piano. Takes up alot of space. Kids say NOOOOOOOO! Birds would be deprived of me playing and singing. LOL! Sophie jumps down onto piano, thinks she is awesome. nancy

Oh geez, beginning recorder. My mom was a junior public school music teacher for almost 20 years. That means, every year, she started a new class on recorder, and a new class on band instruments. 20 years of squeaks, squawks, honks ... I always marveled at her even tempered patience as she guided a new group of kids into the joys of active involvement in music. Plus, then she went home and taught piano until 9:00pm. Y'know, she might have made a good parront!