NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Phoenix area bird stores/vets?

zandische

You'll be surprised at the number of good rescues and stores and Parrot stores and Bird related activities. Now, something important, I've been to Portland, Phoenix area is going to be a little different, You and your fids could be in for possible neurotic inducing element, such as Blue Sky's, only a few day's a year that they have the appearance of Oregon sky's, also there is whats called "Dirt", it's abundant everywhere, it's famous for "Dust Storms" as opposed to "Rain Storms" that brings us to "Water", you know, that stuff that comes in bottles. There's also Cowboys and Indians, [real ones] and horses and dirt and cows and dirt and burros and camels and dirt and scorpions and................................There' also these pinpoints of lights in the night sky's that are beautiful,[sometimes unexplained] and sunsets that make you feel your on another planet. Lest not we forget, the temperature, it's actually not much different then in Portland if you crawl into your lit oven.

Hi...Maggie here...We basically have two seasons here...winter and summer. We freeze in the winter (38-40 degrees) and we bake in the summer (they turn the outside temperature gauges off at 115) with temps up to hot, hotter and hot as hell...your cold weather clothing will be a long sleeve shirt and your summer clothing will be no shirt. You can tell those who have been here for a number of years...we are the weird ones who wear thermals until the weather gets over 80 at which time we start thawing out. We are having a cold streak here in Bullhead City...we are in the low 70's (brrrr!). We have a small garden and you will be surprised what you can grow here...our bumper crops this year are rocks...last year it was dirt clots and weeds...in all honesty, you can grow crops all year round here...instead of watering your yard and cutting the grass, we have weeding your yards and sweeping the dirt off the walkways. Like our Greys who have a thin layer of dander, Arizonans have a thin layer of dust on our bodies at all times...One of the necessities for the fall, winter, spring and summer months are sun screens with a level of SPF 500+. A clothing product that you might not be accustomed to is a hat, kerchief and sweatband. We have wonderfully low nighttime temps in the summer in Phoenix...lows in the 100-110 range (Bullhead is worse)...our bicycle tires are solid rubber and our police force wears shorts almost year round. On the serious side...there is so much to see and do to last years with most of it being free...From the London Bridge in Lake Havasu to the Grand Canyon to the Great Crater, to ghost towns, to areas of lost Indian civilizations, to historic westerns towns with rich history, caverns and caves, prehistoric digs, bird migration routes, botanical gardens and some of the most beautiful botany you can ever imagine. Then, there is Sedona, the hundreds of fishing lakes, and some of the kindest, most wonderful people you could ever want to meet. It snows, not an hour away from Phoenix and can supply you with a wonderful garden. Thank you and welcome...we can't imagine living anywhere else...Maggie and Jay

I'm sorry, in all our fun making, I forgot something very important, Oregon, It is a most beautiful place where the tree tops touch Heaven and the valleys were cut with the stroke of God's hand. The air is fresh and it freshens you soul just breathing it. Love is abundant there in everything you do and the river waters flow so effortlessly to the sea giving a return road for Salmon to find there way to there birth place, too start life once again.

Edited by Jayd

Hahaha! Oh my, I am still laughing! Thank you for the big welcome though ;-) To be completely honest, my hubby is from a gorgeous patch of dirt near the western edge of Death Valley, where they mixed the cowboys and Indians in his family so they all just decided to be outlaws instead, and he is not looking forward so much the desert again (I believe he mentioned dirt, dust and more dirt a few times as well...) but the first time I ever laid eyes on the desert I was in love with it unlike anywhere else I've been. So I'm looking forward to the new adventure, if not the high utility bills! One thing I am excited about are the growing seasons and being able to finally go completely natural and possibly full scale with my growing activities, but I'm going to have to do some reading on water saving techniques first I think. Oregon is beautiful but I'm ready for some of that blue stuff for awhile!

Thank you and what area was your husband from. Here in Az, you can get a bag of organic soil, cut a slit in the bag, plant a tomato or pepper, water and watch grow..... Jay and Maggie

Edited by Jayd
soil not fertilizer sorry

It's a place called Amargosa Valley, sorry, I guess that's the eastern edge, my navigational skills leave something to be desired. Amargosa is a little valley surrounded by sharp peaks covered in fossils. The Amargosa river comes to the surface nearby at a little place called Ash Meadows, which is a permanent marsh full of deep pools of turquoise water and lots of pupfish. And somewhere close to that place is Lizard rock, an outcrop of pure white rock that is amazing to stand on under a full moon, and if you look closely at it you will realize it is the huge, fossilized remains of an ancient coral reef. Oh yes, I like all kinds of rocks too, what are the odds...

It's a place called Amargosa Valley, sorry, I guess that's the eastern edge, my navigational skills leave something to be desired. Amargosa is a little valley surrounded by sharp peaks covered in fossils. The Amargosa river comes to the surface nearby at a little place called Ash Meadows, which is a permanent marsh full of deep pools of turquoise water and lots of pupfish. And somewhere close to that place is Lizard rock, an outcrop of pure white rock that is amazing to stand on under a full moon, and if you look closely at it you will realize it is the huge, fossilized remains of an ancient coral reef. Oh yes, I like all kinds of rocks too, what are the odds...

Amargosa Opera House and Hotel (Scary place)...on the outskirts of nowhere...yes, we visited there in 2009 when we went on a ghost town trek....also famous for Chicken Ranches. We went from Parhump to Goldfield. We loved Beatty Nevada...the Phoenix area is a far cry difference (even the rocks) from the gateway to Death Valley...lol...you'll like it! Thanks, Jay and Maggie