NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bubba & Sassy

Mike the Grey

Hello everybody,

I do have a question about plucking, but first I wanted to explain the situation the two parrots were in before we adopted them. First, I saw the two parrots on craigslist for $350.00 (7 years of age) with cages included so I quickly jumped on the opportunity. What started in a simple purchase quickly turned into a rescue mission once we arrived on the property to pick them up.

First, the house they were in was filthy. Second, it was evident that both of the parrots were not being taken care of properly. Bubba's water dish was filthy and hardly had any water in it and the diet that they both were on was wild bird seed. The cages themselves were filthy and was caked with nicotine from excessive ciggarate smoke around the parrots, plus the bottom of the cages were caked in layers of parrot feces. The gentlemens ash tray was literally right next to both of the cages and when we were there he lit up the cigarette and started to smoke around the parrots, which to my understanding is not good (Duh.)

Both of the parrots began plucking a couple of months ago (According to him) and both are bald around the chest and leg areas, Bubba more so than Sassy. From what I read online this could be due to several reasons. Poor diet, Boredom, The way they are treated, neglect, Hormones, etc. Once we got them back to our house we went to work on the cages with excessive amounts of cleaning as you can imagine. We changed their diet from wild bird seed to vegetables, fruits, peanuts and parrot seed. They went to town on the food like they had not eaten in days.

Bubba still scratches his head and neck, and plucks at the spots on his chest where no feathers are there anymore. I am wondering if this could be due to mites? We already went and bought the hang up mite powder that comes in a circular container with holes and hung it up on the outside of the cage to treat them for mites, if they have any due to the very poor living conditions that they were in.

Sassy has gotten a lot better and hardly is digging anymore, or plucking, just on occasions. So I guess the ultimate question I am asking is if they (mainly Bubba) will eventually stop plucking and scratching or if a Vet visit is in order? The only reason why we have not yet taken them to the vet is because we do not want to stress them out less than a week after moving them into a new (though A LOT better) living conditions.

They are both very friendly, though Bubba does have a tendency on snapping at you when trying to handle him, which is understandable considering how they have been treated and he does not know us at all right now. Right now, we are doing our best in making everything comfortable for both new members of our family. And so far I think they have adapted well. Thanks for reading and looking forward to your responses!

Hi Mike the Grey. If these were my greys, I would take them to the an avian vet. I would get all the changes out of the way quickly so that life can become calm and pleasant much easier. If your greys need meds or special foods to me, these adaptations should be made before they settle into your home. They should have these changes made now so that they are everyday changes right from the start.

I look forward to learning more about Bubba and Sassy and getting to know you all. Kudos to you for taking in these two needy greys.

Yes, thank you for rescuing these two! I would take them to an avian vet for a checkup. When I rehomed my TAG last June, I took him to the vet immediately. As luvparrots said, I thought it was better to get that trauma out of the way before I started trying to build trust. Glad to hear they are both "friendly" at any rate. Just like people, rescues can have physical problems (like living conditions and bad diets) or emotional problems (from being verbally abused and mistreated). Some have both. In my opinion, the physical conditions are easier to deal with than emotional/mental abuse in a bird as smart as a grey. Good luck and God bless :)

Hello everybody,

I do have a question about plucking, but first I wanted to explain the situation the two parrots were in before we adopted them. First, I saw the two parrots on craigslist for $350.00 (7 years of age) with cages included so I quickly jumped on the opportunity. What started in a simple purchase quickly turned into a rescue mission once we arrived on the property to pick them up.

First, the house they were in was filthy. Second, it was evident that both of the parrots were not being taken care of properly. Bubba's water dish was filthy and hardly had any water in it and the diet that they both were on was wild bird seed. The cages themselves were filthy and was caked with nicotine from excessive ciggarate smoke around the parrots, plus the bottom of the cages were caked in layers of parrot feces. The gentlemens ash tray was literally right next to both of the cages and when we were there he lit up the cigarette and started to smoke around the parrots, which to my understanding is not good (Duh.)

Both of the parrots began plucking a couple of months ago (According to him) and both are bald around the chest and leg areas, Bubba more so than Sassy. From what I read online this could be due to several reasons. Poor diet, Boredom, The way they are treated, neglect, Hormones, etc. Once we got them back to our house we went to work on the cages with excessive amounts of cleaning as you can imagine. We changed their diet from wild bird seed to vegetables, fruits, peanuts and parrot seed. They went to town on the food like they had not eaten in days.

Bubba still scratches his head and neck, and plucks at the spots on his chest where no feathers are there anymore. I am wondering if this could be due to mites? We already went and bought the hang up mite powder that comes in a circular container with holes and hung it up on the outside of the cage to treat them for mites, if they have any due to the very poor living conditions that they were in.

Sassy has gotten a lot better and hardly is digging anymore, or plucking, just on occasions. So I guess the ultimate question I am asking is if they (mainly Bubba) will eventually stop plucking and scratching or if a Vet visit is in order? The only reason why we have not yet taken them to the vet is because we do not want to stress them out less than a week after moving them into a new (though A LOT better) living conditions.

They are both very friendly, though Bubba does have a tendency on snapping at you when trying to handle him, which is understandable considering how they have been treated and he does not know us at all right now. Right now, we are doing our best in making everything comfortable for both new members of our family. And so far I think they have adapted well. Thanks for reading and looking forward to your responses!

As far as the plucking, the only way to tell if the plucking started because of present conditions is something that the vet can explain. This id especially true because of the birds' ages. After getting an opinion from the vet, work can be done concerning the plucking. We can explain those things in the future. The birds /bird may be a chronic/acute plucker--2 different types. Poor diet, the wrong food, lack of a clean environment, boredom, lack of playing items, being locked up in a cage all the time, size of the cage--etc etc can cause various problems. The vet can check those problems.

About the cigarettes--Extenal smoke can not only cause internal problems but also external problems. Cigarette smoke can cause the feathers to develop an oily base on the feathers which needs to be removed slowly. Feathers just can't be pulled out. In order for you to understand what I mean, a steady smoker will have discolored fingernails which develops from the surrounding smoke. It's hard to get rid of and people can't just pull out their bad looking fingernails.

Don't be worried about going to the vet immediately. The visit won't bother the birds as far as panic goes. Many people take their older, newly gotten parrots to vets before permanently adopting them. Do it now. That's important. The mite protector won't help if the mites have worked their way to the skin. External feathers won't let that mite medication work. Hopefully, the birds weren't eating the feces.

Best thing--make that vet appointment.

Mike .. Congratulations on your new parrenthood.Seven years is relatively young in the parrot world.Changes CAN happen, and I suspect they will with you and your family at the helm. Definitely visit the vet. Even if you didn't have issues, all new owners need a " well visit", the first time. They both sound very promising, and you have rescued them from a "very ignorant family", that had no business owning a grey( any other bird for that matter)! Welcome! We are all here to help. Nancy and gang

This is a thread that I advise anyone with a new Grey or especially a re-home/rescue should read. This thread was authored by danmcq, thank you Dan, it has helped many members....http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190309-A-note-on-Punishment-and-your-Parrot/page10

Edited by Jayd
oop's

Poor babies. Thank you so much for giving them a better future.

I agree with the above advise.

Have you done any 'bathing' of them? If nothing else it would help them feel better. Just plain water, my grey likes it warm, either in the shower, from a spray bottle or even a shallow pan (like a glass cake pan) given at the bottom of the cage.

Good luck and please let us know how the vet visist goes.

Poor babies. Thank you so much for giving them a better future.

I agree with the above advise.

Have you done any 'bathing' of them? If nothing else it would help them feel better. Just plain water, my grey likes it warm, either in the shower, from a spray bottle or even a shallow pan (like a glass cake pan) given at the bottom of the cage.

Good luck and please let us know how the vet visist goes.

Thank you...As a side note, after bathing never blow dry, it will just make the skin dry out. It's not UN-usual for a Grey to like ice or cold water for there baths, even in winter, just no drafts. As Dave007 said: After getting an opinion from the vet, work can be done concerning the plucking. We can explain those things in the future. This is a very prudent move...Thanks all.....

Every one is pointing you in a great direction but please remove the mite powder container if these birds have some damage from poor diet , cigarette smoke and lack of Sunlight then the mite power (a toxin) is more dangerous to their health than the possibility of doing any good. PLEASE GIVE US SOME UPDATES ON THEIR PROGRESS AND WHAT THE VET DISCOVERS. Great job taking them into your heart and home and wonderful you are making their lives a happier experience.

Every one is pointing you in a great direction but please remove the mite powder container if these birds have some damage from poor diet , cigarette smoke and lack of Sunlight then the mite power (a toxin) is more dangerous to their health than the possibility of doing any good. PLEASE GIVE US SOME UPDATES ON THEIR PROGRESS AND WHAT THE VET DISCOVERS. Great job taking them into your heart and home and wonderful you are making their lives a happier experience.

Thanks Jill, this product should be removed from the market....

Hello, everybody!

First of all, Thank you for all the responses. Everyones advice has been outstanding and I have taken it all to heart. I apologize for not responding quicker, but between work and Bubba & Sassy my scheduel has been, needless to say, booked. lol

After a couple of days something great has happened. They have stopped plucking. :D Between changing around their diet a complete 360 from the guys we rescued them from and lots and lots of attention they have finally settled down and are completely two different birds than what they were, they were great before, but now they are excellent!

Sassy is awesome. She steps up, eats from your hand, lets you handle her, pet her and she loves it when my mother (whom I bought them both for for a early birthday gift) plays with her. She loves her stomach and underneath her wings to be rubbed.

Bubba took a few extra days, but he nows allows everybody to scratch behind his head and handle him without snapping at us, he loves to act like he is about to, but when he does he takes a hold of you very lightly and then licks your fingers. He is much the same as Sassy, just doesn't like to step up yet on anybody.

The screeching that they sometimes do kills your ear drums though. Worse than nails and chalk board! LOL

I'll post pictures soon.

I dare say the screeching will let up. It may pop up from time to time, but it probably will calm down soon. It sounds wonderful. Just watch their eyes when you go to handle them. The pinning of the eyes can tell you that they are serious about being about to bite.