NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

OMG!!! I have totally lost my mind!!

EllieMae

People.. I need therapy! What is wrong with me? I'm totally going nuts because my newest grey hates my guts and what do I do....I take in a needy B&G Macaw..... He's beautiful and still getting used to his surroundings but people ...please tell me why I cannot say NO!!!

Multiple Bird Syndrome MBS it slowly causes birds to keep moving into your life.

By the way Papa Smurf is lovely.

Thank you very much.. I think he is extremely handsome....but at this point I have 10 birds and do not have another possible place for another cage so I think I can say I'm officially DONE!!!!!!

So, aside from insanity, how did Papa come into your life? And i kinda like his name, i get called smurf all the time though so i could be bias, :-)

Well he belonged to this guy and his wife. He was actually the wifes bird. The guy is not really into birds, he's afraid of them and the thought of being bitten so he never handled them. They had a few over the years but at this point Papa was the only one. This past year has been traumatic on the wife as she's dealing with hormones, the deaths of some close family members and she decided one day that she needed a new life and walked out on the husband leaving him with a 6 year old son, a dog, a few cats and Papa. Here is what I know about him. I'm told that he is 2 years old and that his previous owners had him for one year. He is supposed to be a he. In his previous home the wife was the bird person and did all the care-taking. He is supposed to be very sweet and non aggressive. Had bitten the wife one time but because she had to grab him quickly when a strange big dog charged. So the husband while liking the bird is afraid of it and does not want the responsibility of it. When he was brought to me he was in a 24 inch by 16 in pet crate. I'm told he had been in there for 24 hours because he had to have his wife come over and move him from the big cage to the crate. His normal cage was brought with him but I refuse to bring it in my house. The entire bottom is rusty and had several bad spots over the whole cage. I put together one of my spares for now but I still need a larger cage so I'm looking into that. The one I have him in is not sufficient but atleast he can move around and spread his wings. When he first got here he was making this god awful sound that was so pitiful. We had to cover him until we got the cage put together but he went to the new cage eagerly enough. I'm concerned because the food that this guy brought with him was a half bag of peanuts and a small can of cubed peaches. I asked about his diet and he said that the wife had him eating fruit and veggies and the peanuts. I gave him a bowl of the pellets and food mix that I use for my Greys for today but am looking into the proper diet for him.

Guest Jocelyn

Wow. Just wow. At the risk of being hated on this forum, I have to say he is way more handsome then a Grey (no one tell Romeo I said that!)

Congrats on the new addition! We have Multiple Pet Syndrome but only one bird, I feel your pain...

Macaws require more fatty acids than Greys so more Walnuts and Almonds in his bowl. Most Mac's love a shower so he may be a water baby if he gets a chance.

The guy I got him from said he loved showers so as soon as he is comfortable with me we will test that theory.

Congrats! The nice thing about B&G's is they are the big puppy dogs of the parrot world. Their size is intimidating at first, but you are going to be in for a huge surprized at the difference of Grey versus B&G personalities. :)

Congrats! The nice thing about B&G's is they are the big puppy dogs of the parrot world. Their size is intimidating at first, but you are going to be in for a huge surprized at the difference of Grey versus B&G personalities. :)

Does this mean that there's a possibility that this one might even like me :) That will be a welcome change for sure..

Congrats on your new addition but I must say that if you have 10 birds then you are definitely suffering from MBS and in a big way, how do you have any time for anything else, my 3 take up a lot of my time and even though there are a couple of birds I would like to have I have limited myself to the 3 I have.

Congrats on your new addition but I must say that if you have 10 birds then you are definitely suffering from MBS and in a big way, how do you have any time for anything else, my 3 take up a lot of my time and even though there are a couple of birds I would like to have I have limited myself to the 3 I have.

7 of them are little teils that all live together in a huge parrot cage. 5 of them belonged to a very nice lady that passed away. She'd been very sick for over a year and the birds had been confined to the cage and had no attention during that time because the daughters were afraid of them and only fed them and cleaned the cage. Since I've had them they have come out of their shells again and get lots of time out of the cage. I also have two that my sister needed to rehome due to a cat and dog liviong in the home. She had them for 14 years but said they no longer got to come out and play and she knew that I let my birds out all the time.so the last time I visited the little darlings got a 9 hr ride back to their new home and was released from the cage as soon as they got home. Of course you all know about they greys :) My hardest thing now is trying to keep them all happy with equal amounts of out of cage time. Sassy doesn't like that one little bit.. fair to her is out always period!

Guest Jocelyn

In our house we have one bird, but we also have 3 active dogs, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit, 2 rats, 1 bearded dragon and we are fostering a mama cat and her kittens for a local shelter, I also own a horse I board elsewhere. Simply put there is no time for ANYTHING other then the pets, thank god though they all (minus the foster kittens) get a long well. Most people cant believe we can do it, neither can I sometimes. The pets cost us hundreds of dollars every month, and are like a second full time job (plus overtime). I get home, I walk dogs for a minimum of 45 minutes, then begin letting the other animals out cleaning cages ect. Me and hubby still have an active social life, just everyone has to come to us. We love it. Romeo does too loves watching the action. I assume the poster proabably has a similar lifestyle.

In our house we have one bird, but we also have 3 active dogs, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit, 2 rats, 1 bearded dragon and we are fostering a mama cat and her kittens for a local shelter, I also own a horse I board elsewhere. Simply put there is no time for ANYTHING other then the pets, thank god though they all (minus the foster kittens) get a long well. Most people cant believe we can do it, neither can I sometimes. The pets cost us hundreds of dollars every month, and are like a second full time job (plus overtime). I get home, I walk dogs for a minimum of 45 minutes, then begin letting the other animals out cleaning cages ect. Me and hubby still have an active social life, just everyone has to come to us. We love it. Romeo does too loves watching the action. I assume the poster proabably has a similar lifestyle.

Sounds like a zoo!

Us:

1 CAG

1 Jardines parrot

1 GCC

1 Parrotlet

2 dogs

1 cat

1 prairie dog

3 llamas

3 goats

12 chickens

1 special needs pet - my 19 year old daughter. She still needs care and feeding and won't do anything I ask of her so she gets put in the pet category just like the rest of the freeloaders :P