NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Needed Some help for the proper care of my grey.

Captain

Hello,

All members & friends of the forum. :) I am from India.

I just bought a African Grey Congo yesterday from a reputed pet shop of my City after searching a lot on internet.

The shop have 2 african greys with them & i choose one of them which came right in front of me just after i stand beside the cage & make some low noise.

The shop keeper told me that its not more than 1 to 1 year 4 months old & he told me that it seems like a male but he cannot say it 100% sure until Dna sexed.

I named him Captain.He Always wanted to be in my shoulder outside the cage from today & let me pet him his entire body & head & beak also.

Still now he never bit my mom ,dad & me & is making some sorts of noises today when we are asking him something or he needs me.He is very much friendly still now.

The question is that he have a leg band which is written in it -- W 03 K 42. What does that mean?

I am attaching some pics of my bird can u please tell me the approx age of the bird? & what u think of its gender?

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0403.jpg

I can't tell about the gender although your bird gives me a "female" vibe--but that is just an opinion which can't be confirmed without a DNA test. As far as age--your bird appears to have very dark eyes. If the pictures are an accurate representation, I would guess your bird is very young. Possibly younger than six months. Again, I am no expert. Others will offer their opinions. Good luck. Very sweet looking grey there!

I'm with others on the age. The eyes appear very dark which indicates less than six months old. But, the tail appears to be solid red with no dark/black tips which would indicate a grey over a year old. Perhaps the camera flash or other lighting made the eyes appear dark? Legs band alpha numeric characters can mean various things and depending upon country of origin also adds another factor. If you really do care what they may mean, I would ask the pet shop owner. Sexing, well only DNA can tell you that. But I do think the person Captain is sitting on the shoulder of is female. :P Captain sounds like a very well socialized grey and is interacting with you and family nicely.

Welcome to this forum by the way! We look forward to hearing more from you. :)

Edited by danmcq

Hello,

All members & friends of the forum. :) I am from India.

The question is that he have a leg band which is written in it -- W 03 K 42. What does that mean?...................

Welcome Captain. Good to have you aboard.:)

I don't know what the ringing system in India is. You would need to find out who the breeder is and ask there. If it is a closed ring your Grey was most likely bread in India. Go back and ask at the pet shop you got him from.

Steve n Misty

Thanx a lot for all the information & help.Yes Captain eyes are darker now.The yellow color can't be seen much.He is very much friendly & want to be on shoulder of me & my mom & dad all the time.He is eating & drinking well & Playing.

I have to learn a lot about the proper care & how to make him happy all the time.For that i need help of every one of you who is vastly experienced about the greys. Thanx a lot.