NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Apparently birds know how to share...

SRSeedBurners

This has nothing to do with our bratty spoiled little 5mo old Grey but with a rescued Jardine's parrot we got out of a filthy critter rescue. Her name is Raven. She's young but has lived a rough life till we found her.

She's what I consider my heart bird. She's not very friendly but has good reason not to be. Her favorite person is my wife. My wife gets special treatment by Raven most notably a "wurrr wurrr" whenever my wife picks her up. It's very sweet. All I ever get is mostly growls. Jardine's are known to have a 'sweet growl' which I sometimes will get.

Anyway, last night we were doing the potty thing (they're both partially potty trained to go on a tray) with Raven and she got a dried banana slice reward - one of her favorites. My wife handed Raven off to me to handle the crumblies while she went to the kitchen. Raven suddenly started giving me the soft sweet growl and hooking her bill over my thumb and pulling. I called my wife to ask if she knew what Raven was doing - not a clue. So I lowered my face to talk to her and she reached for my lips and put the nana chip right in my lips. We were both floored. I took a nibble of the chip and handed it back to Raven. While we were going on about what we just witnessed, Raven starts it again and I lower my head and she passes off the chip again - unbelievable. This happened yet a third time before the chip was pretty much used up. Each time Raven would take a little and then hand it off to me. She was literally communicating with me to take a bite of her chip. The sweet little girl was sharing her treat.

So we're committed to having the camcorder ready so the next time this happens we can get it on video. It was super sweet.

Thanks for the story. I have a soft spot for Jardines. They were on my "short list" before I decided to get my CAG Gracie. Do you think Jardines and greys co-habitate well?

I would say yes. Our Jardine is quite timid but is able to hold her own with Greycie mainly due to the size of the Jardine's beak. Her beak is something to be feared! For such a small bird, they have a ferocious beak.

Greycie has been trying relentlessly to make friends with Raven but Raven is apparently not too interested. Greycie will follow Raven around doing the baby grunting. Occasionally they get into a brawl and Greycie will get Raven on her back but we're not sure if it's playing or fighting because Raven will do the same thing on her own and it sounds like she's fighting.

Jardine's are very cute birds and I'd say are really almost the perfect bird. They are not loud too much but when they are it's pretty cute. They are snugglers by nature if you get one that's been raised properly. And when they play it's similar to the way a Caique plays if you're familiar with those.

Maybe you need one! ;)

http://avalonaviary.com/jardines-parrots.aspx