NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

should i get a parrot?

I am about to have a baby and i was wondering if there were any parrots i could get that would not be a major problem. I am not experienced with any bird pets and i have a kind of small apartment. I would really enjoy having a parrot if it could possibly work out. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

The best to get are parrots that can live happily in a cage---budgies, lovebirds, parrotlets. You simply have to find species that will be happy with that type of living style. All of the three I mentioned can also get along very well in a cage. (budgie/budgie) ( parrotlet/parrotlet) lovebird/lovebird}. All are considered parrots. Lovebirds can be a bit noisy.

Also, softbill birds are good for that life style. Good luck. Hope the baby is healthy.

Thank you that will really help a lot. Do you know much about sun conures? They kind of interested me.

Yes I am. Suns do need time out of a cage as most parrots do. If you've never had a parrot before, you may find that a little overwhelming. They also need one on one human contact. Another important thing about suns, they're extremely loud. I'll add one more to the list------cockatiels. AS LONG as you get a baby bird. They can be taught different things, aren't loud, can be trained to stay in one area ( small room or large cage.) They also need time out of the cage. No mtter what out of cage bird you may think about getting, just remember that they will need a smallish playstand next to the cage. There's cages that have their own playstand on top. When very young they don't bite and won't bite in the future if they're not provoked.They usually stay friendly. They're also family birds---will like the hubby. All babies shouldn't be around any type of parrot but I'm sure you know that already. Cockatiels come in many varied colors. Again, I would rethink carefully about conures.

SOL - Shit Out of Luck. An acronym that's been in use well before the meme generation came along with their 'LOL's and other B.S.

SOL - like the poor little Green Cheek Conure we rescued from a family with a kid that no longer wanted a bird. He's lucky we came along.

best-parrots-for-families-with-children/

Well, thanks for this important explanation. Yes, I'm from an old, old, old generation--Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Fred Astaire----IN THE MOOD, TOP HAT etc etc

Well, thanks for this important explanation. Yes, I'm from an old, old, old generation--Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Fred Astaire----IN THE MOOD, TOP HAT etc etc

Thanks Dave, me too, I thought they were talking about our Sun, sorry, time for my Geritol...What does BS AND LOL MEAN ??????

Edited by Jayd

Thanks Dave, me too, I thought they were talking about our Sun, sorry, time for my Geritol...What does BS AND LOL MEAN ??????

BS------bullshit

LOL-----laughing out loud

LMAO---laughing my ass off

Something new to learn every day

It would be nice to know more about you and what your expectations are in living with a parrot. The fact that you live in an apartment is an issue. A loud bird like a sun conure would be problematic. How much time do you think you would have to interact with your bird while caring for a new baby? I had virtually no bird experience when I got my grey and it has been wonderful--BUT no babies here! The suggestions given have been great. I don't think it would be out of the question to consider a green cheek conure or even a pionus parrot, or a poicephalus species like a senegal. All of those species like out of cage time and interaction, but are not overly loud or demanding. I don't think you can go wrong with a budgie, finch/canary (although not very bonded to humans generally), lovebird or cockatiel, but in order to know what fits your life best it is important to take stock of your wants and ability to devote your time to your new bird.

We love our CAG and we love our BFA, But there has bin a cockatiel in our home for over 40 years and we love them and have enjoyed them all these years.

Most of our male cockatiels talked and they have a personality bigger than life and it was a tiel that lead us to the larger parrots.

they do well in and out of the cage.

Big parrot experience in a little parrot.

We love our CAG and we love our BFA, But there has bin a cockatiel in our home for over 40 years and we love them and have enjoyed them all these years.

Most of our male cockatiels talked and they have a personality bigger than life and it was a tiel that lead us to the larger parrots.

they do well in and out of the cage.

Big parrot experience in a little parrot.

This is the post I was Waiting for.......................YES....................

"Tiels" They like a tall cage, love veggies, millet, non-colored fruit pellets,, a good seed mix, never sunflower seeds they make them ornery, they love bathing, males sing and talk, female sometimes have only one simple song, and whistles, can be left alone, extremely loving and carefree. Green-cheeks, extremely quiet, likes a wide cage, eats small hookbill mix, can wear a harness and treated like a small Zon, not the best talker. Love birds do not have to have a pair, have to be careful with certain foods, can be stand offish... Mealy Amazon, excellent first large parrot, quiet, loveing, easy to take care of, some people feel their coloring is too bland. A big problem with some of the smaller parrots is most vets a unfamiliar with there care and needs. Hawkheads, yeah sure , been there done that... Major Mitchel's [Leadbeters] A half years pay and most of the time mean..

Some that have shared our life in the last few years....

00s65.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

9508_1.jpg

Ahhh, those baby picture sure make it tempting... But... Case in hand, i would strongly suggest having her own baby first and then think about the prospect of a bird. Her life will be changing enough, soak the newborn up with all you have and then once you have a routine down and know you will have time for a bird, get one! I would just hate to see her run out and get one, and it be ignored or pushed aside once her new born arrives and she is sleep deprived from being up all night feeding and changing him/her. IMO

Ahhh, those baby picture sure make it tempting... But... Case in hand, i would strongly suggest having her own baby first and then think about the prospect of a bird. Her life will be changing enough, soak the newborn up with all you have and then once you have a routine down and know you will have time for a bird, get one! I would just hate to see her run out and get one, and it be ignored or pushed aside once her new born arrives and she is sleep deprived from being up all night feeding and changing him/her. IMO

Sorry, I was just sharing, trying to bring a little warmth....

Edited by Jayd

I second murfchck's recommendation. I had several animals when I had my first baby (years ago). I ended up rehoming a few of them because I didn't have enough time to give needed attention to all. In my case, I was wrapped up in my baby to the exclusion of most everything, and I think that is how it should be. After you have the baby, you will have a lot better "feel" for how much time you have to devote to a bird. Whatever you decide to do, good luck and God bless! You've received some great advice and comments here. :)

What.... are you guys all NUTS! We've got a baby coming! All you boys were going crazy with your fondness for birds. Pyrowoulf has nooooo business getting any bird! She needs to have her baby and focus on just her child. Now you've just screwed up my pledge to myself, to be respectful, and less passionate.

Pyrowoulf...Have your baby. Enjoy parrenting. After time.... if still interested, then get a bird. Nancy