NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice: ~20 year old rescue or purchase baby from breeder

DogsBirdsFish

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds as if she was well loved and taken care of by someone which does not match the story and condition that she was in when you saw her. Honestly you might want to contact your vet to make sure someone isn't searching for her.

ahh.. Sweet story.. She sounds perfect!.

but yeah.. you should go to the vet and check her number just to see that everything is OK . it might just be that her loving ways are from an old owner;).. she have probably had some..

..... Honestly you might want to contact your vet to make sure someone isn't searching for her.

Is this a requirement for anyone who purchases or adopts an adult Grey? Has anyone else checked to make sure their Grey was not stolen after they brought them home?

I know if I was able to adopt the 20 year old Grey, he would probably be just as sweet as Emma considering he was well loved by a retired couple. Should I be suspicious of the foster home owner?

The bird farm that had the two parrots is a family owned business for over 30 years. I did do some research on them (including a BB report) when I first stopped in to look at the place. Everything looked legit.

Is this a requirement for anyone who purchases or adopts an adult Grey? Has anyone else checked to make sure their Grey was not stolen after they brought them home?

I know if I was able to adopt the 20 year old Grey, he would probably be just as sweet as Emma considering he was well loved by a retired couple. Should I be suspicious of the foster home owner?

The bird farm that had the two parrots is a family owned business for over 30 years. I did do some research on them (including a BB report) when I first stopped in to look at the place. Everything looked legit.

From what you say I doubt Emma is stolen but it would make sense to have Emma chipped. I would hope that any good vet would scan a new bird patient as a matter of course. Having her chipped it a very good way to identify Emma as yours.

It's good to see Emma just settling in and interacting with all so quickly. She is beautiful. Thanks for sharing these photos. :)

Well I do have a good connection with most animals. My wife calls me Dr. Dolittle (maybe she means I do little around the house...LOL.). For example, we have wild Mallard ducks in our back yard (we have a creek). Over the years, when I have had time to spend with them, I was able to pick up a few and hold them while I was feeding them. Some were so trusting they would wait in the front yard for me to come home from work. I did let two follow me into the house; they walked down the hall into the kitchen. I called to my wife that I brought dinner home, when she saw the ducks she thought I was nuts. I fed them, took pictures, and walked them back out the house.

The neighbor's cat sleeps on my pillow every night. When we are outside and the cat sees me and the neighbors, they call him, but he always runs to me. It is embarrassing and funny. They have him micro chipped and a big orange cat sticker on their mailbox to lay claim to him. The only time I physically carry him back home is when his collar is missing or I think he is sick. So yes I am a cat napper.

One more story. On Thursday I was in the middle of posting on the forum when a different neighbor came over in a panic because they had a big snake next to the house. They were going to cut it in half with a shovel, but knew I would be upset. So I got out my net, put the snake (Corn Snake) in a bucket, drove him 10 miles to a large secluded state owned field and released him.

So I am turning on the charm big-time with Emma.

Edited by DogsBirdsFish

I do not mean to imply that you or the bird farm did anything wrong and I am sorry if you took it that way. Your sweetie just seems like she was very loved and well sometimes people do stupid things before, during and after a divorce.

It's not what we do we have to worry about but what others do [or don't] It never hurts to check. There was a post just a short while ago on the forum about a foster parront in a situation just like this. Good reference Wingy....Not every one agrees with chipping, search the forum.........Thanks Jay

Edited by Jayd

It's not what we do we have to worry about but what others do [or don't] It never hurts to check. There was a post just a short while ago on the forum about a foster parront in a situation just like this. Good reference Wingy........Thanks Jay

Jayd I had forgotten about that post. I was actually referring to something that I have first hand experience with. My now ex had DS's and my feather babies and took great joy in telling us that he let them go free in the back yard. Even more than a decade later DS and I still hope that the ex gave them away to kind people but we will never know for sure. At the time we asked around but were never able to find them. I specifically asked that they be returned or that I be told of their whereabouts in the divorce but was told they were property and that the now ex didn't have to tell me where they were.

Good weekend with Emma. I noticed I can put her on top of her cage or play stand, leave the room for up to an hour and she is still there when I come back. With my caiques I cannot leave them alone out of the cage for a minute. Is this normal for a Grey to stay in place when you leave them alone for short periods; or does this end when the honeymoon is over?

As greys get older, they will just sit, chill and watch things as they happen. It is actually normal for them. Of course, when they want to be actively involved and to know where and what you are doing, they will call and come looking for you. :)

It is reversed in our home. Gabby is active where Bongo is content to just chill. My poor husband can't even go the the bathroom alone any more. Gabby flies to the door and knocks on it, if he doesn't answer her quick enough she starts with the questioning "hello?". It is really a site to see, she has been doing this for months but it never fails to make me laugh! If he goes into another room in the house he will say "road trip" and Gabby flies to his shoulder and goes with him. Bongo mostly flies to me when i am cleaning the bowls for their dinner, he is a foodie. That one lives for dinner and breakfast. I have tried teaching him "yummm" or "mmmm" when the bowls go in the cages but he insists one the hearty exasperation "wsssshhh" sound, like its about time lady, i was about to die!

Now I can't take naps with Emma. Emma wants me to CONSTANTLY pet her head & neck. If I put my hand down for a few seconds, she lifts my finger to get me to start up again. The few times I fell asleep, and Emma wasn't able to get me going by lifting my finger, she gives me a big kiss on the lips. Once I was briefly sound asleep and she had to practically stick her head into my mouth to wake me. That was an interesting feeling to wake up too.

And when we are up and about, she wants to be on my shoulder. So I walk around most of the day trying to get chores done with her "helping" me. Looks like I have a clingy fid on my hands; er I mean shoulder.

BTW - The first official word I taught her was to cough. I've had a bit of a cough all week, and instead of repeating one of the many phrases I am trying to teach her, she comes out with a perfect imitation of my cough.

Misty is very keen on being on my shoulder as I wander around the apartment. I am quite happy with that. I was thinking today that it's a bit like being Zaphod Beeblebrox with the advantage that my spare head can be safely removed when it gets just a bit to demanding/annoying .;) I have had to move any object that Misty might make a grab for in passing because whatever it is, if he can reach it it is fair game to him!:mad::) I am quite sure he only does it because he enjoys winding me up!:)

Steve n Misty

Gracie does not like to be left alone if I am home. I have a small condo and as long as she can see me she is happy as a clam. If I leave even for a minute or two she calls for me, chatters, or gets into mischief in order to beckon my return. Once I'm back she chills. She is only 22 months, so this may change, but as far as Gracie is concerned, we are a team and I better be there!

Sounds like you've got a 'Too personality in a grey body. Just be careful. We've had more than one member here who got so used to having a bird on their shoulder they forgot for a moment and opened an outside door. Also, don't set up a routine now that you're not willing to commit to for the next few decades. How does she behave if you try to cage her for a short while in order to get something done? She may need to learn to entertain herself for short periods of time, so now is a good time to find out what kind of toy engages her. Does she know how to forage. Does she like making toothpicks out of pieces of wood? Is shredding paper or cardboard her favourite thing to do? If you allow her to be on you all the time now, and in a month or two the novelty wears off and you decide you need to cage her for short periods of time, she will be confused and will probably act out. Just start with very short episodes, and reward her with lots of praise and happy sounds when she succeeds. They love to please, and they are more secure once they know what the rules of the flock are. You're doing great!

Sounds like you've got a 'Too personality in a grey body. Just be careful. We've had more than one member here who got so used to having a bird on their shoulder they forgot for a moment and opened an outside door. Also, don't set up a routine now that you're not willing to commit to for the next few decades. How does she behave if you try to cage her for a short while in order to get something done? She may need to learn to entertain herself for short periods of time, so now is a good time to find out what kind of toy engages her. Does she know how to forage. Does she like making toothpicks out of pieces of wood? Is shredding paper or cardboard her favourite thing to do? If you allow her to be on you all the time now, and in a month or two the novelty wears off and you decide you need to cage her for short periods of time, she will be confused and will probably act out. Just start with very short episodes, and reward her with lots of praise and happy sounds when she succeeds. They love to please, and they are more secure once they know what the rules of the flock are. You're doing great!

Good advice regarding opening a door with Emma on my shoulders. I often walk around with my Caiques on my shoulder; but since they cannot fly very well, I'm less concerned about open doors and windows.

I did get concerned late yesterday evening when Emma climbed off her cage, walked over to where I was, climbed up onto my stomach and wanted to be pet on the head and back. I can see someday being able to hold her by her wings and possibly turn her over on her back. But yes I can tell she is emotionally needy at times (my male Goldendoodle is like this and he can be a PITA; especially when he is clawing/scratching my hand/arm to pet him). I will have to try to balance her emotional needs and my time commitments to other activity. Since I own a home, have children, big family (lots of parties), and other pets, I have lots of demands for my time.

So far I can get her back into the cage without much trouble. I put her back in the evening when I go to the fitness center, let her out when I return, and then put her back in for the night. I have a few hanging toys and wood things to chew but so far she shows little interest in them. She loves to chew up paper and cardboard though.

Edited by DogsBirdsFish

My Wendys has paper wrapped wooden coffee stirs near the condiments and drinking straws. Jake doesn't care for them as much as the paper wrapped chop sticks but now I know and didn't waste a bunch of money at the restaurant supply store.

Update: My training program is going well. Emma has taught me how to prepare her food and to respond quickly to her request for affection. We have settled on about 30 minutes a day of serious head petting (she goes into a trance and would love me to keep it up for hours).

Now she does let me think I am training her. I have been playing the full version of the old Andy Griffin theme song on my laptop and I have to laugh as she slowly is starting to get it. She has mastered all the noises I make (and don't particularly want her to learn) while ignoring most of the long complicated sentences I want her to repeat. She has learned some of my shorter word groupings and occasionally mixes them with words she learned from her previous home. It is interesting to hear the mix of my higher pitch voice and the deep voice of her previous owner.

Often I have her on my shoulder when I'm on conference calls. She has embarrassed me a couple times when she said inappropriate things to my business colleagues. I think this is one area of great potential for Emma. Once she realizes that she can say things to embarrass me, she may become a major jokester.

She is so funny and affectionate. A couple times when I went up stairs to get coffee, she walked up all the steps and was waiting for me at the top step when I opened the door. So far I have not seen any signs of aggression or even a bad mood. I couldn't have gotten any luckier finding her especially given the random nature of how we were brought together.