NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice: ~20 year old rescue or purchase baby from breeder

DogsBirdsFish

I am interested in bringing a Grey into our home. I work from home and would like the challenge and enjoyment of teaching him to talk and interacting with him (male Grey is my preference).

I am currently on a waiting list for a TAG new born; however, I may have an opportunity to rescue a ~20 year old CAG. The CAG has been well care for but he only says a few words. He spent nearly his entire life with another bird and apparently speaks fluent Amazon (the other bird is an Amazon).

So the question to you folks with experience; will I be able to expand the human vocabulary of this older bird and will he be intellectually capable/interested in learning new tricks?

I know there is no guarantee that a baby bird will have a good vocabulary and be very interactive. However, I do not want to adopt a Grey and end up with a bird that does little more than eat, sleep, and poop. BTW - I also have two Caiques that are extremely interactive.

Edited by DogsBirdsFish

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in bring a Grey into our home. I work from home and would like the challenge and enjoyment of teaching him to talk and interacting with him (male Grey is my preference).

I am currently on a waiting list for a TAG new born; however, I may have an opportunity to rescue a ~20 year old CAG. The CAG has been well care for but he only says a few words. He spent nearly his entire life with another bird and apparently speaks fluent Amazon (the other bird is an Amazon).

So the question to you folks with experience; will I be able to expand the human vocabulary of this older bird and will he be intellectually capable/interested in learning new tricks?

I know there is no guarantee that a baby bird will have a good vocabulary and be very interactive. However, I do not want to adopt a Grey and end up with a bird that does little more than eat, sleep, and poop. BTW - I also have two Caiques that are extremely interactive.

I really don't think that at 20 yrs old you'd be ble to start a human mimicing program with him. If he wasn't worked on as far as talking in the past when he was young, he probably won't find it appealing now. It would be alien to him. Actually, the bird does talk right now but only in it's natural parrotese language. The thing a person has to do is learn what he's saying in his own language. Tricks? well that's hard to say. All birds are different and each has certain things around them which appeals to them. Some find tricks interesting and others don't. There is no definite answer to Tricks.

Most people who decide on adopting a rehomed bird take the bird as is. They can always try different things but an adult bird has a baggage/history that they bring along with them to a new home. For a 20 yr old, thats a lot of baggage/history.

Caiques are totally different than greys personality wise.There's always the chance that the 2 species won't even like each other. Other people here also have different species and sometimes they need to watch out for possible aggression. What caused the grey to get along with an Amazon was accoplished through nature.

*****end up with a bird that does little more than eat, sleep, and poop.**** Well, that occurs no matter what the age of the bird is. Greys need to be handled dferently than caiques.

However, I do not want to adopt a Grey and end up with a bird that does little more than eat, sleep, and poop. .

Sometime we answer our own questions, You have already given me your answer. I have a question? What if you get a brand new sparkling baby Grey, and this little guy doesn't fulfill your desires and expectation? Will he become a rescue or re-home? Dave is really spot on.

Sometime we answer our own questions, You have already given me your answer. I have a question? What if you get a brand new sparkling baby Grey, and this little guy doesn't fulfill your desires and expectation? Will he become a rescue or re-home? Dave is really spot on.

The Caiques were rescues. The first time I visited them, the male immediately stepped up on my finger and allowed me to rub his neck.. So that had already exceeded my expectations. The female was another story. She was a biter. The woman at the rescue home disclosed that. However, since she was young I took a chance. After about six months, she/we developed a trusting relationship and the biting stopped. In fact she is now my favorite of the two.

Regarding the Grey. I will have to see how the first visit goes. Last year I made a visit to another potential Grey rescue who was recovering from a plucking problem. I am very good with reading animals and sensed that that particular bird was not comfortable with me (bird didn't pick me).

The reason for my questions are to help me decide what to do if the first visit goes well. One of the main reasons the Grey is so popular (local pet store had ~ 15 Greys in cages marked sold and had a sign up sheet to get on the waiting list) is their intelligence and talking ability. I am attracted to those traits like many people. So I am looking for the best odds of getting a talking and intellectual challenging new family member. However, I have a soft spot in my heart for rescue animals; and would rather take home the rescue Grey. Of course if I bring home a Grey he is here to stay.

Thank you, Rescue and re-home parrots have a very special meaning to me [us], especially Grey's. If I'm selling a car or book or a washing machine, I really don't care who buys it, but a pet or a parrot brings on a whole new meaning. You have to be able to make a decision in a small amount of time, to decide if you want to give this parrot to the person in question. You have to be able to get a gut feeling whether your interviewing in person, by phone/email or however.....So what do you do? One thing is you listen for key words in the conversion, hints, ultimate desires of the person, and that gut feeling.....and when it's regarding Greys, it complicates the process.

In your reply, key points:

The Caiques were rescues. So that had already exceeded my expectations. since she was young I took a chance.

not comfortable with me (bird didn't pick me).

Grey is so popular , is their intelligence and talking ability. I am attracted to those traits like many people. So I am looking for the best odds of getting a talking and intellectual challenging new family member.

No where have you mentioned the needs of a 20 year old Rescue Grey nor the needs of a young Grey. ....A lot of people and members have heard and read stories about rescue Greys, but to live it, it is completely another story..

Edited by Jayd

Thank you, Rescue and re-home parrots have a very special meaning to me [us], especially Grey's. ....In your reply, key points:

No where have you mentioned the needs of a 20 year old Rescue Grey, nor the needs of a young Grey......

I'm fairly confident that if I bring home a Grey, he will be entering into a loving (and in the case of the rescue; better) environment. My family, friends, and neighbors can attest to the special bond I have with animals. I believe I will have the Grey's interests covered the best I can for a captive bird. I am just trying to also satisfy my need to experience the special "gifts" that a Grey has to offer. If I choose the best match for my needs, I believe the Greys needs will be met as well.

Choose the best bird for you and things will work themselves out.

Thank you trancework, but please forgive me but your statement isn't always true. In choosing a Grey companion it's a Crap Shoot at best, it's not what you make it or how hard you try, there's no golden rule for what will work or won't work. When some one asks a question as such as DogBirdFish has, we owe them a answer that which explains all possibility, good and bad. A Grey is so different from other parrots it's sometime hard to believe how much different they are, on top of that there are so many levels a grey goes through even in a year let alone a life time. Changes can a occur at a moments notice, once or more a day as long as one can imagine. What do you do? Something you thought was set in stone is now completely the oppisite. Your Grey wouldn't stop talking, wonderful conversations, than all of a sudden they quit talking, no reason, or your mine today and in the next moment, "Stand back of I'll bite"!

All the positive thought in the world can not alter the fickleness of a Gray, let alone a determined one.....A new Grey onwer must be aware of this, and if you add a older Grey or a rescue to the equation it can be a literal disaster to both the grey and a caring human....No plans can be made in getting a grey. Just to fill your heart with the fact that your getting the chance to share your life with one of these wonderful creatures is what it's all about, all expectations fulfilled.

Thank you, love was never a concern of mine, nor the rest of you reply except your personal expectations, I would love to see you get a re-home that would meet your desires or a fledgling. Please let us know what happens...Thank you Jayd

Thank you trancework, but please forgive me but your statement isn't always true. In choosing a Grey companion it's a Crap Shoot at best, it's not what you make it or how hard you try, there's no golden rule for what will work or won't work. When some one asks a question as such as DogBirdFish has, we owe them a answer that which explains all possibility, good and bad. A Grey is so different from other parrots it's sometime hard to believe how much different they are, on top of that there are so many levels a grey goes through even in a year let alone a life time. Changes can a occur at a moments notice, once or more a day as long as one can imagine. What do you do? Something you thought was set in stone is now completely the oppisite. Your Grey wouldn't stop talking, wonderful conversations, than all of a sudden they quit talking, no reason, or your mine today and in the next moment, "Stand back of I'll bite"!

All the positive thought in the world can not alter the fickleness of a Gray, let alone a determined one.....A new Grey onwer must be aware of this, and if you add a older Grey or a rescue to the equation it can be a literal disaster to both the grey and a caring human....No plans can be made in getting a grey. Just to fill your heart with the fact that your getting the chance to share your life with one of these wonderful creatures is what it's all about, all expectations fulfilled.

Thanks for the advice. Your reply just adds to the allure of bringing home a Grey. Kind of reminds me of the people who work for me. It's the most brilliant ones who are the most challenging to manage; often getting things done their way and in their time frame....lol.

Given the Grey's popularity and unpredictable (crap shoot) behavior, you would think there would be more rescues available.

Thanks for the advice. Your reply just adds to the allure of bringing home a Grey. Kind of reminds me of the people who work for me. It's the most brilliant ones who are the most challenging to manage; often getting things done their way and in their time frame....lol.

Given the Grey's popularity and unpredictable (crap shoot) behavior, you would think there would be more rescues available.

Thank you my friend. In all sadness, the African Grey Parrots are the most abused parrot, the most re-homed/rescued parrot, and the most prone to plucking. Please remember that Rescue and Re-home are not the same. I'm sorry I failed to in my attempts to help you understand. Best wishes Jayd

Edited by Jayd

6 months ago, I got a rescued "late teens" Cag after having a Senegal for 19 years. Woodstock (Woody to his friends), I believe may have been mis-treated and/or possibly ignored in his 18 +/- years. However he now eats better, exercises better, flies better and looks better than he did when I got him. He "tolerates" me, doesn't bite quite as often as he did when I got him, but you become very attuned to body language after a few nasty bites. He kinda likes me, but not my girl friend. He doesn't talk (yet), but can whistle Verdi's Aida, he has good and bad habits and is what he is. He still shakes when I approach his cage, but not as much. Leaves the cage quickly and "steps up" quickly when he's in the mood. Think 2 or 3 year old child and that's him. Would I do it again? don't know yet. He's more interesting and active than my Senegal was, but so far, not as friendly. He's a challenge. Which in it's own right makes him interesting.

Edited by steve59

We got Gabby at the age of 20, almost a year ago. She was both a rescue and rehome. She had a great home in the begining, she is somewhat well adjusted, but that changed when they left her on someones doorstep. Have no idea how long she went from home to home before we found her in a small cage right over a smelly cat litter box. She says some words and has learned the word goo, i call her Gabby goo alot. Lol It has taken all this time to learn her and we still are learning every day. Lots of "learning/teaching bites have been given by her too. Just don't go into this thinking the grey will understand the wonderful, loving home you are giving it and that he will just blossom and be well behaved, because he may not. No one ever really knows what these guys have been through, you have to be able to put in the time they will need and be able to accept them as they are with no expectations.

Just curious DogsBirdsFish but what is the story with the Amazon? If they are friends could they come together?

Steve N Misty

There is a person who is interested in rescuing both. If that falls through, the rescue home has a person interested in the Amazon and me for the African Grey. I am supposed to hear from them on Friday.

Thanks steve59 and murfchck for sharing your experience adopting older Greys. Looks like if I end up adopting the ~20 year old Grey, the best I can hope for is the bird to feel comfortable in our home and whatever he has picked up along the way (both vocabulary and bad habits) is what I will have to accept. Of course I wish I could know all that before I make the commitment. I doubt I will be able to pick up on the baggage in a couple of ~ hour long visits.

Then I read posts like this from danmcq and imagine spending countless days with an intelligent, talkative, interactive Grey next to me in my home office.

Yes! That is exactly what I have done since bringing Dayo home at 15 weeks old. Use the name of every vegetable or other food item. Use the names of every action. Use the name of every appliance etc. Believe me, Gracie is way ahead of you and already knows more than what you are hearing her use presently. It seems that Gracie is on the same word and phrase use as Dayo at 20 months. Teach them by describing everything just as you would a human baby. I stopped counting words and phrases at around 600+. They pick up new words in one day at Gracies age. You will also start hearing her pick up 3, 4 and later 5 syllable words. Like "Humidifier" 5 syllables. Dayo knows the name of every appliance in the house and what they are used for. He even tells us when the coffee pot has finished perking by saying "Coffee's Done". :P

Be ready for shock and awe Jeff! :)

So I may be faced with choosing between the satisfaction of rescuing an older bird and (hopefully) providing him with a good environment that he may have an enjoyable life with us or buying a baby with the hope that he will blossom into a Grey with all the best attributes that the species has to offer.

As Jay said, it is a crap shoot. You might find the older grey would blossom in your household and be the bird you always wanted, or that the baby might be standoffish and quiet. I don't have much experience, but I do know that grey's have very distinctive personalities. You never now what you are going to get either way! Good luck :)

As Jay said, it is a crap shoot. You might find the older grey would blossom in your household and be the bird you always wanted, or that the baby might be standoffish and quiet. I don't have much experience, but I do know that grey's have very distinctive personalities. You never now what you are going to get either way! Good luck :)

If someone was trying to sell me something for a $1,000 that I HAD to interact with a couple hours each day for the rest of my life. And there was no guarantee that the item would provide a wonderful experience, and in fact, may become a hardship; I would say no thanks....lol. Is there something not quite right with us who want to bring African Greys into our lives? I read that the profile of a typical bird owner is one who is above average in intelligence and often has an eccentric personality. Maybe that explains the irrational decision one makes.

LOL There is a lot of truth in that I think. What you find if you read the forums is that most of us love our greys regardless of their personality quirks. They are fascinating, intelligent and endearing, even if they don't turn out like you expected. :)

Is there something not quite right with us who want to bring African Greys into our lives? I read that the profile of a typical bird owner is one who is above average in intelligence and often has an eccentric personality. Maybe that explains the irrational decision one makes.

SO, you make reference to parrot people. You're not sure about what you're getting ino. You're not sure about money SO this should fill you in about the exclusive PARROT PEOPLE. You may join the well known club of Parrot People

================================

, Let's face it, parrot people are weird. Now don't deny it

or send me indignant notes about how normal you are - you're not

fooling anyone. Think about it: When a normal person brings a pet

such as a dog or a cat or a goldfish into their homes, they continue

to lead normal lives. They socialize with other normal people, they

continue to listen to the same types of music, read the same types

of books, and eat the same types of foods as before. You, my parrot-

afflicted friend, do not.

So how odd are you? Let's make a list!

• You are a scholar of psittacinism. You can spell psittacinism.

You scour the Internet and bookstores for research material on parrots.

You join discussion groups and share in agonizing detail each tiny movement of your

parrot with other parrot owners, who then share a more-than-unusual

interest in everyone else's parrot's poop. In fact, poop now

occupies so much of your thought and free time that you have lost

interest in politics, career, and IRA earnings.

You have begun avoiding normal people, because your parrot seems

to have taken a dislike to normal people. This includes your spouse.

When he (or she) walks into the same room as you and your bird,

there is obvious resentment at the intrusion. However, you are

trying to stop reacting this way.

You eat parrot food. That is, you have taken to eating the

special healthy people food you fix for your parrot. It's so much

easier than separately preparing the usual junk for yourself. This

is, in general, a good thing. (Just remember to avoid the birdie

bread you made with Harrison's.)

You have rearranged your furniture to accommodate your bird and

future birds. If you are severely afflicted, you have bought a new

house especially designed for parrotly needs, including vaulted

ceilings, screened-in porches and rooms with drains in the floor.

You buy only healthy and interesting pet toys that cost the

equivalent of two months' salary and can be destroyed by a beak in

five minutes. You ask store clerks questions such as, "Is the dye on

this wooden block human grade?" and "What types of chemicals were

used to treat this suede strip?" and "Where can I find your organic,

preservative-free unshelled imported almonds?"

You make your own bird toys. Sometimes you do this even when you

can find bird toys you like. "My toys are cheaper to make, or more

interesting," you tell yourself. And then you set up an Internet

store or auction site to sell your toys. You use your other talents

For the Good of Parrots. You make quilted cage covers, human

clothing protectors, jewelry designed to be worn by humans and

chewed on by parrots, paintings of parrots, key chains engraved with

the parrot's name.

Parrots are the dominant species on earth and they are simply using

us to perpetuate their race and eventually take over. If you doubt

that, just remember that it's the dominant creature who gets other

creatures to take care of it. Think about all you do for your bird,

the hours spent cleaning his cage, cleaning the floor, cleaning the

food and water dishes, cleaning the bird toys, cooking food,

cleaning the walls of said food, bandaging your skin from the latest

nip. Then think about how you sit down exhausted and feel grateful

and honored to look upon his pampered plumage and big dark eyes.

This is not normal. You'll never see a dog person made misty eyed by the

beauty of their pet slowly lifting its leg.

I say it's high time we parrot people reclaim our lives and save the

human race from certain demise. Be strong - it won't be easy or done

quickly, but by acting together we can thrive as a species again.

I'll be right there with you, just as soon as I finish sewing this

bird cosey and taking the pellet casserole out of the oven.

Yours Truly

Budda

If someone was trying to sell me something for a $1,000 that I HAD to interact with a couple hours each day for the rest of my life. And there was no guarantee that the item would provide a wonderful experience, and in fact, may become a hardship; I would say no thanks....lol. Is there something not quite right with us who want to bring African Greys into our lives? I read that the profile of a typical bird owner is one who is above average in intelligence and often has an eccentric personality. Maybe that explains the irrational decision one makes.

This is my final post on this matter. To start with the time spent with a new Grey or a rescue isn't a couple of hours a day, but many, also the possibility on no vacations or being able to be away for more than a few hours at a time. There is always the wonderful experience no matter what of being with this fantastic creature, hardship or not. Money isn't part of the equation, don't forget the Well care and special diets etc, far more than $1000.00.

Story Time, Title, Was it worth it?: 3 years ago, Macaw, missing wing, abused, mean, $600. The best we could do was to make comfortable, rehab and donated to good forever home. Present, Right now, 6 fids, 3 we can interact with, 3 we'll never be able to re-home, abused too badly. Since 09, 26 fids we payed for, cared for, rehab, vet care, and donated for supply's or a bag of seeds, we asked nor ask for any thing more, we've done this since the 70's.....Was it worth it??????? It's not what the parrot can give to you, but what you can do for the parrot. There's a lot more to caring for a Grey than your aware of. Read the forum, feel what the members of this great forum have felt, Ask Dan about the hard times, the decision making and worry's that walk hand and hand with having a Grey............................That's my final 2 cents.....................

Note: We worked with all parrots, not just Grey, but Greys are the most complicated.....

Edited by Jayd

LOL Loved it Dave! I always liked Sarasota's signature "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot - Mark Twain"

Jayd, I can't imagine the sacrifices you have made to care for all the birds that have crossed your threshold over the years, but I thank you for it! :)

[...... To start with the time spent with a new Grey or a rescue isn't a couple of hours a day, but many, also the possibility on no vacations or being able to be away for more than a few hours at a time. There is always the wonderful experience no matter what of being with this fantastic creature, hardship or not. Money isn't part of the equation, don't forget the Well care and special diets etc, far more than $1000.00.......

Funny you should mention vacations. Since I brought home my two caiques, I passed up vacation trips to Italy and Turkey. In the past, I had no trouble taking the dogs to the kennel and asking a family member to stop over at our house to feed the fish. However, I cannot bring myself to leave the birds in the hands of family members or a boarding house. I still have not stayed overnight a single day.

Your history with birds is unbelievable. Will you be taking all them to the Funny Farm with you when they come to take you away....lol.

Edited by DogsBirdsFish

Will you be taking all them to the Funny Farm when they come to take you away....lol.

It's funny, but your remark is truer than you know! Glad you enjoyed the laugh. I've made arrangements for each one to be taken care of. Including our 4 non rescue parrots.

Edited by Jayd