NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Anyone has had success with this training?

bry1929

It goes like this: you buy a wild budgie from the pet store and you train it with a chopstick, clicker, and a treat.

This man below explains it pretty well and has a video included:

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/target-training-budgie/?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_content=

Thoughts on this? This is what I've started doing with my Grey

I am all for anything that solidifies a bond between grey and parront. I must admit I haven't done any trick training with my CAG Gracie. I think she would just look at me like "Are we being serious here?" Either that or she would start using the clicker training on me! Good luck and keep us posted.

Jayd... open your mind! LOL! I'm willing! Go out on a limb.I've heard lots of good things with clicker training, that has nothing to do with your tongue! Nancy

Over the years we've never mentioned much about training. Were in the process of preparing a thread about our training and why it doesn't fit with single or two bird flocks. I hope everyone will enjoy it lol........Jayd

Positive reinforcement with a "good boy" and happy praise will get you everywhere with a grey. They bask in it. Dayo has always responded to praise better and quicker than any treat or clicker. In fact, he would rather have the fun of destroying and bashing a clicker than anything else. I loved the video. Dayo and one of those acrylic balls with bells was his first favorite play toy as well. He loves playing catch and throw with them as I see you doing in the video. Your hands moving seem no faster than what I do as well when playing with Dayo. he loves catching a that ball tossed at him and enjoys accurately throwing it back to me to see if I can catch as well. They get sneaking though, they will deliberately toss it sometimes in a direction that you cannot catch it. :)

That is huge fun for them and they love the praise as I am hearing you give Ollie.

I will say though, that some do have very good success with clicker training. This is one of those "It depends on the bird personality" things. :)

Edited by danmcq