NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I give up

aw64

had very bad day, lost count of the bites I have had today, sat the other side of the room with foot toys trying to get Alfie intrested, he came over asked for tickle tickle and gave me a right good bite, no warning at all, I have not gone to him have left him to come to me but each time he comes he bites, couple of times i went to kitchen he flew in landed on shoulder bit my neck, that was final straw he was put back into cage for my safety.......then dam me after tea opened cage door to which i can get a step up for him to come out every time, but tonight he didn't want to come out left door open but no stayed on his perch!

There is somthing very wrong, I'v been off work all week spent so much time with Alfie, had him out of cage as much as possible, I have hardley been out as wanted to really try and get us on a no bite level, you all seem to get step ups, get them back into cage or they go them selves, thats all i want dont mind if his not a cuddley chap but just to be able to move him if needed and be able to cage him without a battle, is it possible that a bird and owner just can not get on, as it sure feels like that at the moment, his one had him since he was 10 weeks,

First take a deep breath, place your left hand on your right shoulder and your right hand on your left shoulder and give yourself a hug. Now look at your post, you might be able to answer your own question. You have been home all week, and Alfie has been out a lot. He could very well be tired and out of sorts because the weekend has gone on to long. I know that Jake is usually out of sorts on Sunday afternoons because he is used to taking more naps during the week when he is home alone.

Thanks guys, trancework I'm in UK and dont seem to be as much over here in the way of behavior consultants, if anyone does know of any please let me know, I will try anything, wingy thats a good point and I will give that some throught but I only work 28 hours a week normaly but its hours that are all over the place so routine has been different, have had Alfie out again he spent the time on play stand seemed happy enough until it was back to cage time, lights out four attempts using perch to avoid more bites, I do love him to bits and have waiting years for him to come into my life and knew it would be hard work but I cant work with him as he wont stay with me, yet months ago taught him to wave, turn around and shake hands which he will still do, any way as adviced off to bed with a hug to myself, thanks guys

From my experience having gone through a similar thing with Tango, it does get better. He went through a phase when he first met my boyfriend and became obsessed with him he wanted nothing to do with me. I have had Tango since he was 4 months old and and known him since he was 2 months old, he is MY baby. I was hurt and upset that he was biting me. He would bite me every chance he got. No matter what I did to him he would bite me. I cried a lot, but I decided that I needed to be patient and eventually Tango got over the biting "phase" or whatever it was and things returned to a semi normal state for us. Unfortunately, our relationship isn't the same because he has chosen my boyfriend as his new mate, but I just have to remember that I can't pick who my bird loves. Luckily he has stopped biting me, for now. All I can say is that as frustrating as it is, patience is the key. I know that it is tough. I can feel your pain. I am sending you hugs from here!

Hi...first of all, go to the store and pick up some chamomile tea...brew yourself a cup and sit next to the cage, drinking it slowly and talking in a low voice calmly to Alfie...He was probably over-excited and gave you a nip, playing at which time you over-reacted...giving him the reaction that you liked it...Think Terrible Twos...Alfie is going through the stage in which he is trying to establish his independence and to test the limits and push the boundaries and test your mettle...Give it time...this will pass...we have gone through so many of these "Terrible Two" periods and lived to tell about it...Does he have a special treat? If you can find one, do NOT give it to him except at bed-time...put it in his cage as a reward for going to bed...try to be consistent about bed times too...Calmness is the biggest thing...give him some alone time and yourself too so you can both come back to each other in a Calmer state of mind...Maggie

Hi...first of all, go to the store and pick up some chamomile tea...brew yourself a cup and sit next to the cage, drinking it slowly and talking in a low voice calmly to Alfie...He was probably over-excited and gave you a nip, playing at which time you over-reacted...giving him the reaction that you liked it...Think Terrible Twos...Alfie is going through the stage in which he is trying to establish his independence and to test the limits and push the boundaries and test your mettle...Give it time...this will pass...we have gone through so many of these "Terrible Two" periods and lived to tell about it...Does he have a special treat? If you can find one, do NOT give it to him except at bed-time...put it in his cage as a reward for going to bed...try to be consistent about bed times too...Calmness is the biggest thing...give him some alone time and yourself too so you can both come back to each other in a Calmer state of mind...Maggie

arrrrrh thank you you are all so suportive, have done treat thing at bedtime last couple of nights, today has been a little better.

I would like to offer my two cents worth. I have found that just when you are at your wits end with them, ready to give up and can't take another moment of their awful behavior....that usually is the peak and then you will see things start to turn around a little bit at a time. You are frustrated and he can feel it and not understanding those feelings, so he is lashing out due to HIS frustration of nonunderstanding.

When I was home a lot, I found my birds would act up, or should I say, act out with terrible behaviour. A friend of mine suggested a routine of them going in their cages around lunch time and allowing them their own quiet cage time for a few hours. I tried this even tho I was home most of the day. When I did

ET them out after, they were much more happy, and well behaved. I have continued this routine, they have come to expect it, and seem to need it as a child needs structure in there day. Once they had structure of what to expect, they seemed much happier.

Also, I don't know the history of your bird, but if you are trying to train him with tricks and things, it may be too much stress and that could be why he is acting out as he is. Just let him be a bird and forget about the training and tricks until you have established a better and calmer routine. He needs to be allowed to be himself and respect you and your rules without the added pressure from other things, this could take some time, perhaps a couple of years, but you need to work thru this issue of the biting and attacks before you do anything other than parront him. He is very young, you have a lifetime and he is still developing mentally and emotionally. You still have several sages to go thru before he should be pushed to do things. Terrible twos, and then the hormonal stage...:)