NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Step-by-Step: Ollie's Pellet Switch...

trancework

Thank you very much, I enjoy your writing very much and I enjoyed your "Feeding cubes", thank you. The Jane from Eclectus Parrot.com's organic pellets, are a Rice based pellet, a little low in fat contents for our Greys. The supplements, Spirulina and Bee pollen we tend to stay away from, here's recent thread concerning this matter. No supplemant should ever be givin our Greys unless ordered by a vet. http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?198628-Supplements-and-Additives...This post is on seeds etc. http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?198606-Has-anyone-ever-heard-of-this-bird-food

A Grey should have at the minimum 1/2 cup of sunflower seedless mix 24/7/365, explained in many posts on this forum. Another point is any fresh food should be removed after 2-3 hours. And if I may, a Grey needs no more than a couple of pieces of fruit every other day or so. As a side note, always cook sweet potatoes and yams, to be on the safe side............Thanks trancework

Edited by Jayd
potatoes

I always enjoy your posts! My conversion to Harrison's has not gone well, but I keep throwing them in. Interesting about the light and the snacking. Timber's area is never totally dark (he doesn't seem to like that), and I notice that he snacks at night sometimes as well.

Our big birds like pitch black, but in the small bird room, they spook with out light. In the years past, with the multitude of parrots laying to fledging, we had to keep some nite light on, for safety. Reef tank, something I dearly miss, I had a hard time converting to led from my old lighting, but like you said, the Moon glow was awesome...... We dismantled our last one 3 years ago.........With sadness....................

[Yes Dan, as you would say, his writing style is "GreYt".] Thanks

Edited by Jayd

trancework.... WHOoooooo... slow down! Mix Harrisons and zupreems. It doesn't matter! I do this, top off there morning tray with three peanuts, 1/4 slice of buttered toast, and a plate of fresh fruits and veggies.( they all share the veggie and fruit plate).I don't use any airpurifier, as I feelI am depriving them of "normal flora". A MUST! I am quite interested and experienced in normal " human" exposure to germs, and continue to expose my birds to the same. The policy is always the same.... WASH your hands whenever picking up a bird. We have had this policy for years.My kids don't even think about it anymore.Its normal practice. Having two asthmatic kids that only wheeze when they have a cold, I;m sure you can appreciate, I'm all over hygiene!Sophie has never been sick in the 12 years I have owned her. Its important for birds to have normal exposure to germs, as well as keeping them safe. When I get home from work... I strip off my work clothes and shower.I KNOW they all want to see me. NOT happening until I am clean from disease. Nancy