NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I want to be wrong

aw64

Tonight for the first time my son my son spent some time with Alfie, now you must understand he is adult (son) pops in after work for tea then off to girl friends and away all wk ends so Alfie knows him but never really had much to do with each other, my son is also scared of getting bitten but tonight he came home from dog training and dogs always get small chunk of cheese for a treat while doing this he offered Alfie some who was on top of his cage this is a first for them, Alfie gladly took cheese then after flew to fish tank and my son got him to step up onto his lower arm offered Alfie a treat (pumkin seed) again alfie accepted and stayed on sons arm for short time, then a while after Alfie flew to my son who was sat in the chair landed on his knee and sat there for ages very relaxed.

Is Alfie changing owners?

He has not sat with me like that for ages, and any of you that read my posts will know I get lots of bites.

Am I the bad person as I'm the one who puts him back into cage, stops him eatting TV ect?

If alfie is about to favour my son how are we going to manage as my son has no intrest in alfie?

Also I have read on another post that a bird should not be above you in height is this the case as this may be the answer to some of my problems, Alfie has home made play stand which is tall, also his cage is next to where I always sit in the lounge so he is above me in height, he has never gone onto the floor but thats mainly due to us having dogs, he used to perch on the arm of sofa but has stopped doing that, the more I have throught about it tonight the more I have realized he has not been near me really apart from flying onto head when I go to kitchen, which i dont allow, even calling him to me is hit and miss the odd time he will come take treat and fly straight off.

Some people believe in the height thing and others do not. I have experienced it working with an Amazon but I will never know why. It could have simply been that he felt closer to his favorite human when he was at the lower level or that he felt safer. What I do know is that when they are higher than us humans we are at a disadvantage because we cannot read their body language, project confidence and hold our hands/arms out for a step up as easily.

As for Alfie not wanting to be with you have you tried making/playing with toys while sitting at the table or spreading them out on the sofa and sitting on the floor. You just build and play and maybe he will be interested in coming over to see what your doing. If you have the lights off except for where you are he will be less inclined to grab something and fly off.

I have no clue on the height issue. I do know what you mean about your son. I have the same situation. My youngest son is at college, and he is Timber's obvious favorite. He gets so excited when Dakota comes home! Honestly, it is what it is. Timber and I have developed a good relationship, and I think you and Alfie will too. Your son may always be the "favorite" though if this is the first time you have noticed that may not be the case. Even if it is, it doesn't mean you and Alfie can't have a good relationship too. Hang in there! :)

Both reply's were great, A Grey is capable of having more than one "First persons," let some time unfold. How high am I? A grey doesn't seek height for superiority, but to seek a advantage, and to be able to see better. Are the dogs the problem? Is there jealousy?............................................

Greays can have more than one favorite person. Corky will fly to and spend time with my wife, son and me, and will go to most visitors that come to our home.

Most of our friends that come over will stop at Corky`s cage to say hi and she will gladly jump from her cage to their shoulder.

You are not losing Alfie to your son. I believe you are gaining Alfie's trust into the " flock theory!" Another member to be trusted. YAY! It was always my goal forSophie to love all of us equally. She does. But we all bring something to the table that she wants. Of course, I was the " bad guy", the most. Bedtime... timeout for biting. (kids did it... but not as consistent). As far as the height thing, I know it works for us. The only way to test this theory, is get a step stool and try it! What do you have to lose? Nancy

Your post reminds me very much of the one I wrote after being gone for three days and leaving my CAG Gracie with my parents. When I got back Gracie was quite enamored with my father. I was jealous to be honest and had some of the worries you expressed. Since that time, I haven't noticed any lessening of the bond I have with Gracie. We were back to normal in about 2 days. She even said "I missed you Baby" last night. I only said that to her when I got back. I mean she heard it two times max.I think it is probably a good thing that our greys can show interest in and affection toward more than one person. There is so much out there saying greys are one person birds that it leads many of us to worry about losing our birds' affection when they show interest in anyone else. I think all is well with Alfie you and your son.