NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A sister's tribute to her Brother, The Marine

cinlnk

Hi all,

Just thought I would post a blog that my daughter wrote to her brother, who is deploying to Iraq in a matter of hours.

Semper Fi, Adam....

Current mood: thoughtful

Category: Life

The day that I have been dreading is soon approaching.

October 14, 2007 will register as one of the Worst Days Of My Life.

That's the day that my little brother, my best friend, my hero, will board a plane and land in Iraq.

He will be gone for about eight months, and will return to the US in June 2008.

He is doing his job, fulfilling the oath he took in July of 2006, "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, forgien and domestic; that I will bear true faith and alleigance to the same; that I will obey the Orders of the President of the United States and the orders of my officers appointed above me, according to the regulations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

So, I guess this is where I get all cheesy and sentimental. This is where I get all teary-eyed for you.

Adam is my best friend. I could not survive without him. He has been my rock for as long as I can remember, and I hope that I have done the same for him. Growing up, we went through a teenager's form of hell. Our parents got divorced when I was 19 and he was 14. Very tough and touchy times for anybody that age. But, we were the lucky ones. It wasn't a bitter divorce, nor was it messy. Our parents remain pretty close still today.

That being said, it brought Adam and I closer, however, not until he was about 18 or 19, and I was approaching 24...25. We're best friends, and I can always count on him to be there for anything. Whether it be something major, or something petty. He's my best friend, and I hope I am that to him.

I went through HELL while he was in MCRD for boot camp. I had no contact with him!! I remember he called home once, he was rewarded a 20 minute phone call home....and he called me. It was the first time I'd heard his voice in about three months...I bawled my eyes out after he had to get off the phone.

I remember flying to California for his graduation. A friend of mine, who had been in the Marines also, sent me a text message that I recieved just as the plane touched down, it said, "remember those who came before your brother and I. Remember the traditions and the honor. Say a thank-you." I had tears everywhere when I was getting off of the plane.

I remember sneaking to the Parade Deck the day before his EGA ceremony. Watching them practice. I picked him out of his platoon, and he heard me trying to get his attention. I knew very well he couldn't break his stance, but I could see how red his face was turning because I was EMBARASSING HIM in front of his platoon and his DI's.

I remember the next day, my family and I walked to the Parade Deck, and hearing the band begin to play. I remember seeing all of the platoons march out. I remember counting the rows of Plt 3047, to look for the seventh row, last guy in the line....THAT was MY brother.

I remember the speech that was given. How they would transform from Recruit to Marine by one single action. I remember watching all of the pomp and circumstance as these men were being presented with their EGA pins that they would proudly display on their covers.

I remember watching my brother. He was looking directly at his Drill Instructor. He shook his hand, and was given his EGA pin. He took his cover off and pinned the EGA to it, he was so proud, as were our parents. I looked at him, and he had tears streaming down his face.

That was HIS defining moment.

That's where HE BECAME a Marine, a Man, a defender of YOUR Freedom.

I remember that it was announced that the band was going to play the Marine Corps Hymn for THEM, because they had now, finally, earned that Title of Marine, and NOBODY could take that away from them.

All of the men stood at POA, and saluted the colors as they all fought back tears while that hymn was playing. Most of them didn't hide the fact that they were crying. They had been through Hell, and they had for DAMNED sure EARNED their titles.

The next day was graduation. They marched out onto the parade deck, standing taller than ever, because THEY were MARINES. They executed their movements with such precision and perfection. They had been working on this for weeks, and their hard work showed. It was haunting....dead silence, then you'd hear the haunting cadence calls of the DI's.

You would hear one DI call out the orders, and you would hear the marching. The tight and taut marching of 300 men, sounding like one. Their movements were perfect. They were putting on a show. They were given the order to salute the colors, it was one fluid movement, one sound. They stood at attention, and all of their feet snapped to position, and hands behind their back...one motion, one sound. It was like nothing you'd ever seen before. They would "Lean Back and Strut..." How precise they were. How perfect these Marines were.

When they were dismissed, it was awesome. They started with one platoon, and it was so quick, like a domino effect. They would spin around so fast and break their perfect lines after they were given the order they had been waiting so long to hear, "Dismissed!".

No words can describe how incredibly proud I am of you, Adam.

Now, you're off to do another part of your job, and it will require sacrifices.

Stay safe, keep your sense of humor, and know that you have your family and friends here at home that love you very much.

We think about you EVERY SINGLE DAY, and pray for your safe return home in June.

You make me proud every day, Adam. Every time I see the picture I have of you in your Blues, every time I see a USMC flag, or run into a vet, or another Marine. I always think of you.

I proudly wear my little yellow ribbon for you every single day.

Semper Fidelis, Little Bro.....

Love Ya,

-Sis

"To the outside world, we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time."

That being said,

SEMPER FI MY SON,

MOM

OMG, Cinlnk, that was absolutely beautiful tribute from one sister to her brother and AMEN to what she said. I am very proud of him also and I wish him the best of luck while he is over there and pray that he returns safe and sound next June.

You have two very special children here in this brother and sister and I know you are proud of both of them, how lucky for them that they feel that way about each other for a lot of siblings don't. You have raised two good citizens of this country and I am very proud of you and hope your son comes home safe.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, we all need reminded of what some of our friends and family are going thru for our freedom and I appreciate each and every one of them. God bless them all.

A very fine tribute. I can remember my graduation just the same. I'm not going over myself, but I am still with him in the way all marines stand proudly by each other in spirit. He will have the best of men beside him ensuring he comes home, just as the man beside him has adam. I can't wait to hear the day when he returns home. Keep us updated!

Semper Fi

Wow, that was absolutely incredible. What an amazing brother and sister bond. It really makes you step back and acknowledge the important things in life. I can't even imagine how proud you must be of your children. What a wonderful tribute... Thank you so much for sharing it with us :)

What a special parent you are to have raised such wonderful children. To see a brother and sister have such a close relationship is heartwarming to those of us that have children.

That tribute brought a lump to my throat, and tears to my eyes. I hope and pray that your son comes home safely and with out harm. Please keep us updated, and we will continue to pray for his safety.

Thank you for sharing this with us. We all need reminders of the sacrifices these fine individuals and families endure for us.

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Thank you for all the WONDERFUL responses!! I knew this story would touch you all as it did me. Now, if I can get my daughter to channel this wonderful natural talent....

Adam left yesterday.....I tracked his entire flight acrossed the US....

Now, it is a waiting game. Hope I hear from him soon.....

C'MON.... MOTOMAIL!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Just a qwik note to tell you all that my son is still in Iraq and doing OK. He is VERY HOMESICK, and MY GOODN ESS I miss him sssooo much. We keep in touch via email or my space. He is in a fairly safe place, from what little he can tell me. I am counting the days that he will be back on US Soil.

Thanks,

A VPMM.... Cindy...VPMM= Very Proud Marine Mom :)

Adam is due back in the states in June. Hopefully sooner. But the Marines are famous for changing your plans.

Him and his girlfriend, Ashley are talking about getting married when he comes home. I love Ashley dearly, but I and her mom are trying to talk them into waiting a few years. They are both 20 yrs old, IMO, way too young for such a serious decision.

Here is a pic of my marine, Adam

l_318749d7122f68b0b114763f6bc45042.jpg

and one of my future Daughter in law, Ashley

l_0a0b33cc1832e461ea058b99ca946c46.jpg

My daughter,Jennifer and son, Adam

l_44641b39b496081de0f36badebe5b08b.jpg

ANd last but not least, My Goober Do, Riley Jo...ie: Mr Major Attitude;

DSC00026.jpg?t=1199814957

Hope you all enjoy the pics.

Thanks,

Cindy l_318749d7122f68b0b114763f6bc45042.jpg

Yes I do enjoy the pictures and thanks for sharing them with us. Your son and daughter are nice looking young people and his girlfriend is good looking too.

At 20 years of age they are not too young in my opinion to think about getting married, a lot of people do at that age and younger, give them your advice and your wisdom but the decision is ultimately theirs.