NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Where to start?

garryg

garryg...No wing clipping.My suggestion. It does make training more difficult... but thats not what it is about. Its about our birds. Ilove everyone's suggestion about putting certain " decals" in the window. Miranda is quite young, and would benefit with harness training soon. Greys DO love to be outside and training takes time. I also would suggest taking a look at your home with all exits. Noone is allowed to use front door, as well as kitchen door. If doorbell rings, we go thru the garage.A small price to pay for their safety. Nancy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Nancy....The wing clipping is but a long gone thought. I have learned to not be so hasty and take my time with things.....Miranda is teaching me well. She is out now on a daily basis and no further accidents.

garryg YAY! You are listening! In my opinion? A new parent of a grey doesn't need to know a thing about a grey, ( outside of diet), other then " what does your bird desire?"Eye pinning...can mean two things. Excited to learn something new, or a warning. First time I said " kootciekootciekoo"... her eyes were pinning , dialating like crazy. Obviously, she wasn't threatened...she LOVED it! ( her favorite saying,probably 40 times a day.) Tale wagging...very happy. One foot lifted up when I come down in the morning... warning! My first coment in the morning, as I find three birds with their foot up, is " foot down!" Its me! Another time their foot is up,is asking for " stepup!"

Sometimes I feel guilty, that so many parents struggle with stepup and biting.I'm on the receiving end, that many desire. AllI can say, the goal is obtainable, and the rewards are better than you can ever imagine! Nancy

The Grey Forum supply's info to a perspective new Grey caretaker in the hopes it can provide as much useful and needed info before one purchases a Grey to prepare them to what is needed but also expected, shortcomings and all. Over the days, weeks, months and years we constantly see what happens if a person gets a Grey unaware of this complicated creature's special needs..It's devastating to the Grey and the new owner.....

Our second purpose is to supply ongoing help and answers and support to those who own a Grey that they researched and to those who are in dire straights for not researching in hopes of saving a bad situation and a re-home. It is in the best of intrest of all those involved that we do everything in our power to make sure a new or possible new owner has as much info as possible before buying a parrot. I'm sorry if I don't agree with some posts. Thanks Jayd

The Grey Forum supply's info to a perspective new Grey caretaker in the hopes it can provide as much useful and needed info before one purchases a Grey to prepare them to what is needed but also expected, shortcomings and all. Over the days, weeks, months and years we constantly see what happens if a person gets a Grey unaware of this complicated creature's special needs..It's devastating to the Grey and the new owner.....

Our second purpose is to supply ongoing help and answers and support to those who own a Grey that they researched and to those who are in dire straights for not researching in hopes of saving a bad situation and a re-home. It is in the best of intrest of all those involved that we do everything in our power to make sure a new or possible new owner has as much info as possible before buying a parrot. I'm sorry if I don't agree with some posts. Thanks Jayd

I don't understand where you are coming from! I never entered this with my eyes shut... I have thought about this for a number of years and certainly looked in to numerous details on owning one. This still does not fully prepare for actually owning one, only ongoing knowledge brings this.

I f there is anything I have posted which is of concern please point this out!

I don't understand where you are coming from! I never entered this with my eyes shut... I have thought about this for a number of years and certainly looked in to numerous details on owning one. This still does not fully prepare for actually owning one, only ongoing knowledge brings this.

I f there is anything I have posted which is of concern please point this out!

Garryg...You did not imply nor say anything wrong. My post was a statement about the love, care and concern the Grey Forum and its members have toward this Grey community and our desire to help. Another great aspect of this forum is for each member to have their own opinion. A lady that I respect very much, Nancy, made a quote, voicing her opinion and I made a reply voicing mine. My opinion, in turn, strengthened hers and added to hers. That is why it is so important that all posts must be read more than once to make sure that we understand them. Nancy's quote: "A new parent of a grey doesn't need to know a thing about a grey, ( outside of diet)," unquote.

Nancy, I feel that if you had spent a few moments, you would have basically said the same thing I said.

Garryg, I always enjoy your posts....Jay

Thanks Jayd! You are a great parrent as well. We all get there, one way or another,and all do something different, which is okay. We all have different beliefs, but the ultimate goal,is for our birds to understand they are " part of our family." How we get there,is a matter of opinion. "Once gotten there", is amazing! Jayd and I KNOW what to do, to get our birds where they need to be, to create the ultimate setting for our birds to thrive. We get there different ways. but that really doesn't matter! Our goals are the same. Nancy

Thanks for your continued support! Miranda is coming along well.. She talks and whistles away, some things I cant even understand, but others very clear. She loves her toys and her out time. She is slowly getting used to me and will fly on to my arm take her favourite grape then return to her stand to eat it. I know it's only 5 weeks, but she was part of the family from day one and is doing great.

I'm just so glad I found this forum as the members are so knowledgable.

garryg...sometimes I "cringe", hold my tongue.Sometimes "I can't take it anymore", and have to say something. I don't cringe when I hear stories about you and Miranda. I see so much potential with Miranda and you. I LOVE hearing about you guys. I have already decided personally,you have an amazing grey, that will go far and look forward to stories about you guys. If you are struggling with anything, remember we are here to help you.

I know you can be a fantastic parrent.Any bird that thrives... needs to have a parent that encourages them. I believe you can do it. Nancy

Progress..... I think!! Everyone else went off to bed the other night so I decided to let Miranda out for half an hour before I went. She came out to her stand and flew back and forth to me several times. This was the first time she flew to me. Last night I tried it again... I sat down to watch the rugby and she flew over and landed on my knee, sat there for a bit then headed off back to her cage. Tonight adventure was similar, sat down, she flew over ....great, then she sunk her beak in my arm.... bl##dy sore! Although she is comfortable to come for me, she still likes to bite, is there any way to stop this, or is this just a time thing? Cheers Garry

Well, watch her more closely and don't let her bite your arm. If you see her start to move for a bite and if she is on it, just roll your arm a little to make her right herself. f she is coming at tour arm, just move it. If she is beaking your arm, as some do, let her know it was too hard by just saying "Thats too hard" and if she beaks more softly afterwards tell her "Thats better". They learn through feedback whether something is acceptable or not. If she just bites down hard breaking the skin, remove her and tell her "No bite" while you sit her a little further away from your arm or other bitten area. This will take some time for you to master and apply. But most the time if your paying close attention to body language you'll know whether she is just going to beak or bite you. I still get an occasional bite, but most the time it's because I was not paying close attention. :)

Iknow many owners do different things.... but I just say " NO! NO BITE! Return to cage....stepup again in five minutes. Kisses to start. Tell my baby, I don't appreciate being bit, but I love them. Kids did the same thing. I actually did " timeout cage", when Sophie was two. She had a separate cage to " return to", when naughty. Most owners hated my idea, but I never thought it made sense to return a bird to a cage full of toys. Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All...not done an update for a while, so thought I'd let you know how Miranda is getting on! She is great....... she has started talking, some things I can make out (Hello (of course), What's this) and other times she sits and mumbles away, but don't have a clue what she is trying to say! I see this as a good thing as once she gets the words out there will be no stopping her.

It is quite clear she is my baby...unfortunately for the rest of the family, as soon as I go out of the room she starts squaking and on my return she looks so inocent as if to say "it wasn't me". When she gets out she comes straight to me, she doesn't even go on to her play gym now... Sooooo, now for the unfortunate thing!! I do see that she loves me and I love it when she flys on to my arm......but......she loves to come up on to my shoulder. After already had a few bites i am fearful of her biting my ear and get very nervous at this point, so nervous that I shrug her off my shoulder and she flies back to her cage. I don't like doing this and know this can't continue, so how long does it take to build up the trust that she wont bite me?? Probably a silly question as I know this is fully dependant on the bird and parront?

Anyway, overall thing are progressing great and I am now having an open affair with Miranda.

Hope this furhter update finds you all well?

I allow both my birds on my shoulder and head. My Grey spends a large amount of time on top of my head. I have been bit by both of them at one point or another. I use the NO BITE, shaking off, and putting back in the cage. It seems to have worked because neither one of them has bit my ear while sitting on my shoulder in a long time. My Grey did bite my ear while I was on the phone,but that is another story. But, if you are uncomfortable with Miranda on your shoulder you can teach her that she is not allowed up there. Just be consistant and she will learn fast.

Her mumbling is just the way Grey learn new words. They practice over and over before they will let you hear them.

I let Ollie bite me on the ear ONCE, then began a structured communication of my displeasure. He got it right away and we moved on. This was met with concern by several on this board (see the locked thread). But in my experience with it, he has been on my shoulder without any issue whatsoever for all but the two days immediately following that event. For those two days I let him get close to the ear but once he touched it, I'd give a signal and he'd lose shoulder privs. I'd post the link to the thread, but based on the response, I imagine I'd probably get banned or something. Apparently my style is unorthodox... but effective.

enter-the-dragon-saxon-kelly-300x127.jpg

I remember that post tracework, and I'm glad you stuck around. Frankly, I believe your post was just misunderstood. I enjoy your posts.

I'd advise you not to let Miranda on your shoulder, period, full stop. Shoulder priviledges are only for birds that are trustworthy there, and she has proven she is not. You can't see her to read her body language from that position. Don't let her climb to your shoulder. If she is on your hand, keep your hand high, elbow low. Birds don't like to climb down. If she is flying to your shoulder don't let her land. Duck and weave, dance and jive (oh, and get it all on video so we can enjoy !!!!). Make sure she has alternate places to land that are near you. A playstand, a hanging boing etc...