NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Where to start?

garryg

We got our first CAG 3 days ago. She is around 8 Months old. She (Miranda) was hand reared initially but has been in an outside aviary for the last 4 Months.

I feel she has done very well since settling in our home with her new cage and surroundings. From day one she has been feeding well and quite easily eats from my hand, but have only done this through the cage bars and open door.

So the question is, when do I start teaching the step up commands? As yet I dont know how she will react when she comes out the cage...in fact I have a concern that if she does come out she may fly around and hurt herself (as she will be used to the aviary).. should I start some training inside the cage, or is this me invading her space?

Ideally I want to get the cage open ASAP so she can come and go as she pleases.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! I am no expert by far, but i live by the "never know until you try" motto. Open the door, but be sure it is safe for her if she does fly. They are pretty good fliers for the most part, so she'll get around stuff. Make sure the fans are off and windows closed. I do have one that loves being outside so we do have to watch him close when he is out and the windows are closed because he will try flying through it. Her cage is her safe place, don't invaid it, for her mental well being. In time she may invite you in.

What murfchck said... As to when to start teaching step-up I've never had a young bird so I don't really know the answer to that. However, I'd think 8 months would be old enough. Most recommend that training take place away from the cage. They need to feel safe and secure in the cage and you shouldn't invade it unless there is an emergency. Hopefully others with more experience will come along and add to this!

Hi, the fun starts, we start step up training even before weaning, if your baby is ok with your hand in the cage, go for it, in a emergency you need them to step up no mater where they are. You have great members here, welcome..Jay

Stepup,begins the moment your bird walks in the door. Training, begins then as well. I see many eager parents wanting to "get going!" Unfortunately, it is at their pace. Some people can get their bird to "stepup from the cage, some cannot". I suggest all new parrents read everything you can about the " stepup process!" It is vital. Many here also have different opinions regarding the " stepup" process. I for one.... have NEVER put my hand in their cage. It is their territory. I always worked with my birds off the door.

When I adopted Sophie at age two, I had no clue what to do for her. I opened the cage,kids and Iplayed games in front of her.... she came out... walked over to us, wanted to be part of our game. Okay! She stepped up to whom ever turn it was. Now.... a decade later... she knows when someone is losing and switches teams! TRAITOR! She will go to the winning team. Gotta love that girl Nancy

Open the cage door and allow Miranda to come out on her own and then see if she will step up for you, put your hand, palm down with the side up against her chest and say step up, you can gently nudge her to see if she will start to step up and if she does praise her lavishly. You can also try to get her to step up from inside the cage but I think you will have more success with her out and she needs some time out of her cage every day. She may take flight but just don't panic if she does, if she is used to flying she will do fine as long as everyone keeps calm for they sense our emotions and if she senses stress then it will only make her more nervous. Typically teaching them to step up is one of the first things a pet bird should learn for at times they need to be removed from a dangerous spot or some other situation where they need to be caged or moved to safety.

Miranda is doing very well. This is only day 4 and i have her copying my whistles (it's a start)...When I had my Cockatiels they took a couple of Months to get to this stage!

When she whistles I show her attention.....It is amazing how she sits and cocks her head listening to every work I am saying, she is certainly getting used to her new home. New noises every day....I'm enjoying every minute of it!!

It's GreYt that Miranda is settling in so well. They do listen with recorder accuracy and are capable of producing any sound or word with perfect accuracy. Have you let her out of the cage yet? As others have said, step up begins when they are just weeks old. :)

She has not been out yet, but will be over the weekend.

She is already 8 Months old so may already have some bad habbits, but certainly not shown them. I will be starting on the step-up as soon as she gets out.

Cheers & Happy Easter to ALL!

OK, I'm an early member of the Bite club! I let Miranda out for the first time tonight. I opened the cage dor and it took her around 5 Mins to come out and move to the top of the cage. When she was out I gave her a treat (a grape...her favourite) and she quite happily ate this on top of her cage. She sat there around 5 Mins then I thought I would coax her on to my hand with another grape. She slowly bent down and bit the skin on the back of my hand, so I take it she isn't ready for that...probably me trying to push things to quickly.

Any way she had a fly round then went back in her cage....so all in all, turned out well.

So a question is raised....? How long do I leave things before I try again? I don't want to leave it too long as I feel the longer I leave it the more difficult it may be. Do I let her make the choice? do I just wait until she comes to me, rather than me continue to appraoch her?

Thanks again all for you feedback.

all have excellent advice. I would also suggest getting a step stool, so that when your bird is on top of perch, you should be taller.A bird should NEVER be taller than you when learning to trust each other. Many don't believe in that. Kiki has a ton of toys in a basket on top of refrig, as she loves to be there.When I get tired of her throwing the toys, making too much mess, I usually put her back on her cage after awhile.The one time I tried to pick her up, without being taller, she BIT me! OUCH! Not only did it hurt, so were my feelings. I wasn't taller than her at that time. I tried to squeeze my wound for blood to point out to her the damage! None came... but I still was hurt. I'm back to "none of my birds, will EVER be taller than me. " Nancy

Had Miranda out of the cage again today... we went out and bout her a parrot stand. Anyway, after a 5 mins or so on the top of her cage she went for a fly. She flew round the house then landed on the sofa. I was on the seat opposite, she kept her eye on me then flew over and landed on my arm....success (I thought), as soon as she came on my arm she proceeded to peck at my arm....I do say peck, as she never sunk the tip of her beak in to me (as she did last night), after another 5 mins she flew around again and landed on my back, but again she pecked my shirt and made a few holes, glad it wasn't my skin ....so I would say thing are progressing!

She came out for an hour or so, then we were going out and didn't want to leave her out when we were not there.

So, my next question? Once they are out of the cage....how do you get them back in??

Because you can't yet handle her I suggest bribery. I say that with a large BUT because you should only do what your willing to do for the rest of your life. If she is interested when you change out her water/food bowls and runs right over to see what she has then do that. If she likes treats then find a healthy one to offer her and place it in her cage. With any luck she'll go in to see and not put up a fuss.

Good comments by Wingy.

The pecking and testing is Greyt! Holes bitten through shirts are normal, they love to chew things. You willend up with "Parrot shirts" you'll wear when your going to have your grey on you. Getting them back in the cage is hopefully a matter of placing a favorite treat you show them and then place it in the cage. If your grey is on your arm, just walk slowly to the cage and place them in it. This is learned through trial and error to see what works.

I never had a hard time getting them back to their cage when younger. They did fine with stepup, and stepdown. This past year, Sophie at age 12, told me she didn't want to stepdown. I told her "no", she had to go to bed. She refused! What to do? I told her that she had to put herself to bed, and put her on the floor in front of her cage. She did put herself to bed.She missed the last minute kisses and snuggles and eventually decided her stubborn attitude was her loss.We are back to bedtime w3ith kisses and snuggles. Nancy

God, Miranda is a smart parrot! 2 weeks in to it and I think we are in line for a new cage already. She has worked out how to lift all the food hatches on the cage. Getting out is not an issue when we are there, but don't like the idea of her getting out when we're not.

We even tried to tie them down with a shoe lace, but it only took her a couple of minutes to get the knots out.

She goes out and in her cage no problem now...it's amazing what a few juicy grapes can do.

One further question...that I know I may get mixed answers to! She was out yesterday and went from a fly around the house, unfortunately she flew in to a window! She seemed fine after it, but we got a fright...and am sure she did also! So the question...... should I be thinking of a wing clip? I wasn't going to, but I also need to consider the safety of Miranda. I certainly want to keep letting her out her cage, but don't want the worry of her flying in to another window. Or will it be the case that now she has done this she won't do it again?

Thanks Again! Garry

I believe in wing trimming( but sparingly), during training, and after they can fly like crazy. Apparently, it doesn't sound like many owners can find trimmers to trim exactly as you need them to be trimmed.That would be DEVASTATING for a bird that has been able to fly. I don't believe in clipping! The bird can no longer fly.Sophie came here at age two fully clipped. We let her wings grow in and practiced flying with two of us at all times. Sure... windows gave us all a fright. She enjoyed her flight exercises. I kept her trimmed to be able to fly within three rooms, which basically was " cutting the air"! It unfortunately took her 10 more years to fly like crazy and that was because Kiki our amazon took pity on her. Kiki taught Sophie how to fly just several months ago. It was all a matter of Sophie's flapping. Kiki taught her " how to get the best flight."Now I don't know who is " incoming!" Wing flapping is now the same. It use to be double the flapping from Sophie. Nancy

Someone may have already mentioned this, if so I missed it. I've seen several members say that they put stickers etc. on windows and mirrors so the bird can see that there is something there and avoid having them fly into them.

Thanks, Stick-it, post-um work great, removable with little residue............................

What a wonderful weekend! Miranda is now out every day..and has not had any more accidents. She also had her first full shower yesterday and kept coming back for more.

She also said her first word.... I think?? She was making some strange noises so I turned the TV down. Myself and my daughter were convinced she said Hello, along with other things we couldn't make out....al in all great progress.

She is still not comfortable with coming on to my arm, or stepping up to a perch when out, but no doubt that will come.