NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Im not sure if my baby boy was ready to be weaned...

Gemma

Hi everyone, Ive just picked up my new baby yesterday ( still haven't decided on a name yet) and he has been trying to feed off of my fingers like unweaned babies do when they are getting fed.. should I just continue to feed him the food the breeder gave me or should I go out and buy some baby formula and feed him that until he is ready? He is about 5 months old, or so I have been told. Love your opinons! Thanks:D

Hi everyone, Ive just picked up my new baby yesterday ( still haven't decided on a name yet) and he has been trying to feed off of my fingers like unweaned babies do when they are getting fed.. should I just continue to feed him the food the breeder gave me or should I go out and buy some baby formula and feed him that until he is ready? He is about 5 months old, or so I have been told. Love your opinons! Thanks:D

You should continue with the food he gave you. I would be careful about store bought baby formula. You should call up the breeder and ask him/her what the formula was and get instructions on how to make up something that's at least close to what he was feeding.

What your bird is doing with your fingers will happen frequently in the future even though the bird is weaned. Make sure you also have solid food around now. It's time for more solid foods plus formula.

Edited by Dave007

I agree with Dave also.Time for solids, as well as continuing formula,if needed. Kiki took FOREVER to get off her formula forever. A total of nine months. My vet taught me how to do the feedings.It IS difficult and dangerous to do feedings. Not knowing what you are doing, can cause aspiration. Kiki eventually became the best bird to try new things.All fruits and veggies. Everyone waits for Kiki to try it.If she likes it.... everyone tries it. LOL! Nancy

When I brought my 5 month old CAG home the breeder sent along some formula for the "change over period". Sterling Gris was a great real food eater but liked that evening formula for about two days...then he would fly away at the sight of the syringe. Abundance weaning is a good thing.

What I encourage most...is offering a feeding off a spoon. It DOES eventually replace a syringe. Kiki was oatmeal crazy, as well as yogurt. I moved away from syringe rather quickly...went to tablespoon. If she wanted or needed it,I gave it to her. Birdswill let you know when they are done with the "oral stage". They adapt quickly, in how it is delivered!