WHOLE FOODS DIET RECIPE FOR TWO GREYS:

1. SOAKED/SPROUTED SEEDS:

- one part organic sesame seeds with hulls

- one part organic wheatberries

- one part black organic sunflowers with hulls

- one part organic quinoa- one part organic safflower with hulls

- one part organic whole oats

- one part spray millet scraped off the stalk

TO PREPARE: EVERY MORNING PLACE SEEDS IN MASON JAR WITH ENOUGH WATER TO COVER DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF SEEDS. ADD 6 DROPS GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT PER CUP WATER TO THE SOAK WATER. LEAVE ON COUNTER FOR 24 HOURS. THE NEXT MORNING, RINSE THE SEEDS THOROUGHLY THROUGH A PLASTIC SPROUT TOP ON THE MASON JAR AND SERVE HALF THE PORTION. LEAVE THE OTHER HALF OF THE SEED PORTION IN THE MASON JAR, RINSED. AT NIGHT, RINSE THE SECOND HALF PORTION THOROUGHLY AND SERVE AS DINNER.

2. VEGETABLES/FRUIT GROUND IN A FOOD PROCESSOR INTO RICE-SIZED PIECES :

A. Choose one: organic broccoli, organic zucchini, organic green beans

B. Choose one: organic collard greens, organic kale, organic bok choy (not the white part, just the green leafy part)

C. Choose one: organic red peppers, organic carrots, organic LIGHTLY COOKED IN WATER orange squash (do not food prep squash, serve chopped by hand)

D. Choose two: organic banana (chop by hand not food prep), organic apple, organic orange (peel and chop by hand not food prep), organic mango (CHOP BY HAND), organic pineapple (CHOP BY HAND)

E. Choose one: three organic hulled almonds, three organic hulled walnuts, or twelve organic roasted, shelled peanut halves

NOTE: all of the above must be fresh not frozen

E. Choose one: organic raspberries, organic blueberries, organic strawberries (fresh is best, frozen is OK)

NOTE: use each one of the above foods listed in any given month so establish a rotation for shopping such that all the foods are used within a month period

F. FROZEN ORGANIC CORN AND FROZEN ORGANIC PEAS (use both each day)

NOTE: ALL THESE VEGETABLES AND FRUITS (other than the nuts) SHOULD BE USED IN ROUGHLY EQUAL PORTIONS (JUST EYEBALL IT)

3. CHOP ALL THE VEGETABLES/FRUIT PLUS NUTS IN THE FOOD PREP (OTHER THAN THE ONES THAT SHOULD BE CUT BY HAND). USE ONE HALF CUP SPROUTED SEED MIX TO ONE HALF CUP VEGETABLE/FRUIT/NUT MIX.

4. TO EVERY MEAL ADD:

- 1/3 teaspoon of GREEN POWDER (to the one cup of food)

- 1/16 teaspoon of PRIMAL DEFENSE PROBIOTICS (to the one cup of food)

5. TWICE PER WEEK ADD:

A. 1/2 teaspoon of ORGANIC FLAX OIL to morning meal (IE PICK TUESDAYS AND FRIDAYS AND FOR BREAKFAST ONLY THEY GET FLAX OIL)

NOTE: STORE FLAX OIL IN THE REFRIGERATOR AT ALL TIMES IT IS HIGHLY PERISHABLE

B. 1/4 TEASPOON ZOO MED AVIAN PLUS VITAMIN/MINERAL POWDER

6. ONCE PER WEEK GIVE ONE TEASPOON PER GREY OF COOKED, FRESH or FROZEN, PLAIN WILD ALASKAN SALMON

7.. BEFORE BED GIVE ONE TABLESPOON OF SPRAY MILLET PER GREY SCRAPED OFF STALK

NOTE: MEALS SHOULD BE PREPARED FRESH TWICE DAILY, AM AND PM. THE VEGETABLE PORTION CAN BE MADE FRESH EACH AM AND HALF CAN BE STORED IN A SEALED CONTAINER IN THE REFRIGERATOR UNTIL THE PM MEAL.

GREEN POWDER RECIPE:

• 1/3 cup Mt Rose Herbs kelp powder

• 1/3 cup organic Mt Rose Herbs alfalfa powder

• 5 Tablespoons Hatched brand eggshell powder

1 Tablespoon Frontier organic garlic powder

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS AND STORE IN A SEALED MASON JAR IN THE DARK FOR UP TO ONE YEAR (LABEL WITH EXPIRATION DATE).

Excellent! Sprouts are an amazing addition to our bird's diets.

Only caution is to watch the amount of sunflower - perhaps cut the amount to 1/2 part to help limit fat intake.

The green powder additive is a really good idea. I was also wondering if you are seeing positive results with the probiotics, especially considering the large amount of natural products you are already providing.

Thanks for sharing!

Really nice, If I may I'd like to Critique this, my comments in red, Thanks Jayd

WHOLE FOODS DIET RECIPE FOR TWO GREYS:

1. SOAKED/SPROUTED SEEDS:

- one part organic sesame seeds with hulls

- one part organic wheatberries

- one part black organic sunflowers with hulls

- one part organic quinoa- one part organic safflower with hulls

- one part organic whole oats Use Blade cut

- one part spray millet scraped off the stalk You can purchases fresh Millet off the stem, both large and small.

TO PREPARE: EVERY MORNING PLACE SEEDS IN MASON JAR WITH ENOUGH WATER TO COVER DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF SEEDS. ADD 6 DROPS GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT Use Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, there's a health issue with GSE. CUP WATER TO THE SOAK WATER. LEAVE ON COUNTER FOR 24 12 HOURS. THE NEXT MORNING, RINSE THE SEEDS THOROUGHLY THROUGH A PLASTIC SPROUT TOP ON THE MASON JAR AND SERVE HALF THE PORTION. LEAVE THE OTHER HALF OF THE SEED PORTION IN THE MASON JAR, RINSED. AT NIGHT, RINSE THE SECOND HALF PORTION THOROUGHLY AND SERVE AS DINNER. If you refrigerate you stop the sprouting process, a 1/8 inch tail has the most nutrients.

2. VEGETABLES/FRUIT GROUND IN A FOOD PROCESSOR INTO RICE-SIZED PIECES :

A. Choose one: organic broccoli, organic zucchini, organic green beans Or all

B. Choose one: organic collard greens, organic kale, organic bok choy (not the white part, just the green leafy part)Carrot leaves Dandelion greens etc, no spinach.

C. Choose one: organic red peppers, organic carrots, organic LIGHTLY COOKED IN WATER orange squash (do not food prep squash, serve chopped by hand)Use all, especially Carrot.

D. Choose two: organic banana (chop by hand not food prep), organic apple, organic orange (peel and chop by hand not food prep), organic mango (CHOP BY HAND), organic pineapple (CHOP BY HAND) A grey needs very little fruit, maybe a small piece every other day, sorry, way to much fruit

E. Choose one: three organic hulled almonds, three organic hulled walnuts, or twelve organic roasted, shelled peanut halves, peanuts reduce to 3, also, you can leave out and give as a treat/reward

NOTE: all of the above must be fresh not frozen

E. Choose one: organic raspberries, organic blueberries, organic strawberries (fresh is best, frozen is OK) strawberrys have the hightest concentration of pestiside of all fruit, 2 small pieces every couple of days, to much fruit.

NOTE: use each one of the above foods listed in any given month so establish a rotation for shopping such that all the foods are used within a month period

F. FROZEN ORGANIC CORN AND FROZEN ORGANIC PEAS (use both each day) Fresh is best

NOTE: ALL THESE VEGETABLES AND FRUITS (other than the nuts) SHOULD BE USED IN ROUGHLY EQUAL PORTIONS (JUST EYEBALL IT)

3. CHOP ALL THE VEGETABLES/FRUIT PLUS NUTS IN THE FOOD PREP (OTHER THAN THE ONES THAT SHOULD BE CUT BY HAND). USE ONE HALF CUP SPROUTED SEED MIX TO ONE HALF CUP VEGETABLE/FRUIT/NUT MIX.

4. TO EVERY MEAL ADD:

- 1/3 teaspoon of GREEN POWDER (to the one cup of food) This is a supplement and should not be given unless ordered by a vet

- 1/16 teaspoon of PRIMAL DEFENSE PROBIOTICS (to the one cup of food) number 4 is not necessary unless recommended by a vet. 1/2 low-fat yogurt [greek] is far better than probiotics

5. TWICE PER WEEK ADD:

A. 1/2 teaspoon of ORGANIC FLAX OIL to morning meal (IE PICK TUESDAYS AND FRIDAYS AND FOR BREAKFAST ONLY THEY GET FLAX OIL) Seed, not oil use 1/4 tsp olive oil if you don't use carrots

NOTE: STORE FLAX OIL IN THE REFRIGERATOR AT ALL TIMES IT IS HIGHLY PERISHABLE

B. 1/4 TEASPOON ZOO MED AVIAN PLUS VITAMIN/MINERAL POWDER Never unless ordered by a avian vet, no supplements of any kind.

6. ONCE PER WEEK GIVE ONE TEASPOON PER GREY OF COOKED, FRESH or FROZEN, PLAIN WILD ALASKAN SALMON or chicken or low sodium albacore tuna a couple times a week, also a boiled chicken wing, most all meat removed, also 1/2 hard extra hard boiled egg, rinsed in vinegar, shell and all

7.. BEFORE BED GIVE ONE TABLESPOON OF SPRAY MILLET PER GREY SCRAPED OFF STALK not necessary, no nutrition provided

NOTE: MEALS SHOULD BE PREPARED FRESH TWICE DAILY, AM AND PM. THE VEGETABLE PORTION CAN BE MADE FRESH EACH AM AND HALF CAN BE STORED IN A SEALED CONTAINER IN THE REFRIGERATOR UNTIL THE PM MEAL.

GREEN POWDER RECIPE: This is a supplement and should not be given unless ordered by a vet

• 1/3 cup Mt Rose Herbs kelp powder

• 1/3 cup organic Mt Rose Herbs alfalfa powder

• 5 Tablespoons Hatched brand eggshell powder

1 Tablespoon Frontier organic garlic powder ?????

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS AND STORE IN A SEALED MASON JAR IN THE DARK FOR UP TO ONE YEAR (LABEL WITH EXPIRATION DATE).

The reason for a lot of these changes is some fresh foods work together and others don't, you also need fresh veggies nut's legumes whole, not processed on a daily basis, plus a seed mix and pellet mix if so desired... Your sunflower seeds nuts etc provide EFA, [Esential Fatty Acid] which is highly important to our Greys.Great post, Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd

I have been feeding this to dayo since I got her at 6 months old about a year ago. She was still on a baby formula then so I transitioned her over to this whole foods diet. It went smoothly. She loves her greens and carrots etc... I usually add mung beans to the sprouting mix, she loves those sprouted. I'd say I havn't noticed a difference because this is what she has always eaten. She also has organic pellets available to her throughout the day which she picks on from time to time and some other dried fruit & nut mixes that she picks at during the day as well. Oh and Bird bread and sweet potatoes, she snacks on lots of stuff during the day - Wouldn't want her to be hungry :)

Thanks for the input Jayd - it's very helpful. Interesting to use the flax seed and not the oil... wonder if I can just add that to the sprouting mix.

Thank you, yes or just sprinkle on when serving. The biggest problems with adding supplements is there not time tested, some ingredients we have learned from experience, others we don't know, with your wonderful diet, I personally see no reason to add any supplements, with your choices [and maybe what I've suggested] you supplying every thing they need. My comments are based on scientific facts, personal experiences, yet they could be wrong, only time will tell, I just prefer not to temp nature,lol. The biggest thing I've noticed in my years is the "It sounds good to me" and "If it's good for a human, it's good for my bird!", sometimes this can be the farthest thing from the truth...Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd
any, time