NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm so excited!!!

Gemma

Hi Everyone! My name is Gemma and I'm from Australia, I've wanted an African Grey for a very long time now and I've just bought one! I get to pck my little boy up tomorrow and would love any advice anyone has to give me. I have hand raised an Indian Ringneck (Benny) and an Alexandrine(Claude) and I'm really looking forward to picking up my new FID. I haven't quite picked a name for him yet but I like Scooby. Anyways thanks for reading!!:D

Hi Everyone! My name is Gemma and I'm from Australia, I've wanted an African Grey for a very long time now and I've just bought one! I get to pck my little boy up tomorrow and would love any advice anyone has to give me. I have hand raised an Indian Ringneck (Benny) and an Alexandrine(Claude) and I'm really looking forward to picking up my new FID. I haven't quite picked a name for him yet but I like Scooby. Anyways thanks for reading!!:D

It is vitally important to be patient, gentle, and considerate of your new Grey. He doesn't know you. He is in a strange place with strangers. He will undergo a brief grieving period. He has lost all that was familiar and loved - the other babies he played with and his beloved and trusted caregiver. The adjustment, as far as food, cage, and toys are concerned, should be a brief one. It will take a little longer for him to know and trust you. The bird-human relationship is based on love and trust and this takes time to develop. Without love and trust, there can be no relationship.

If you have other companion animals, keep them quiet or away from him for the first few weeks - because of safety considerations and because the bird needs time and space to adjust to the presence of predator animals. Don't overload him with too much confusion or noise. If you have children or grandchildren, caution them about running up to the cage, gesturing wildly, speaking loudly, or screaming. Birds often are frightened of children because of their abrupt activity, sudden noise, and impulsiveness. Adult family members should be cautioned to avoid sudden movements or speaking in a loud voice.

It is vitally important to be patient, gentle, and considerate of your new Grey. He doesn't know you. He is in a strange place with strangers. He will undergo a brief grieving period. He has lost all that was familiar and loved - the other babies he played with and his beloved and trusted caregiver. Don't invite the family or neighbors over to see him just yet. Let him come to know you. Be careful to avoid accidents - take your time. Try not to let any "bad" things happen. Once he knows and trusts you, he will be able to accept an accident as just that. Hold him securely. Don't let him fall or be off balance when on your hand or knee. Don't push him into accepting intimate petting until he is ready.

Remember he is just a baby and will need more sleep and more food than an adult bird. If you have a sleep cage, use it so he will have undisturbed sleep. Give him all the food he will eat. He will not get fat. He has weight to put back on after weaning. He should have food available at all times. Weigh him daily for at least the first 6 months. Record the weight. Learn what is normal for your Grey - there will be small weight changes over time. Small losses - a downward trend for several days will call for a trip to the avian vet. The vet should see him immediately if there is a large loss on any one day.

thankyou everyone, I have settled on the name scooby but it took me a few days to decide. We've just been to the vets tobe micro chipped and wormed and he is getting along great with my 2 other birds. He can say "hello", "love you" and i swear he said "thank you" the other day!!

It is vitally important to be patient, gentle, and considerate of your new Grey. He doesn't know you. He is in a strange place with strangers. He will undergo a brief grieving period. He has lost all that was familiar and loved - the other babies he played with and his beloved and trusted caregiver. The adjustment, as far as food, cage, and toys are concerned, should be a brief one. It will take a little longer for him to know and trust you. The bird-human relationship is based on love and trust and this takes time to develop. Without love and trust, there can be no relationship.

If you have other companion animals, keep them quiet or away from him for the first few weeks - because of safety considerations and because the bird needs time and space to adjust to the presence of predator animals. Don't overload him with too much confusion or noise. If you have children or grandchildren, caution them about running up to the cage, gesturing wildly, speaking loudly, or screaming. Birds often are frightened of children because of their abrupt activity, sudden noise, and impulsiveness. Adult family members should be cautioned to avoid sudden movements or speaking in a loud voice.

It is vitally important to be patient, gentle, and considerate of your new Grey. He doesn't know you. He is in a strange place with strangers. He will undergo a brief grieving period. He has lost all that was familiar and loved - the other babies he played with and his beloved and trusted caregiver. Don't invite the family or neighbors over to see him just yet. Let him come to know you. Be careful to avoid accidents - take your time. Try not to let any "bad" things happen. Once he knows and trusts you, he will be able to accept an accident as just that. Hold him securely. Don't let him fall or be off balance when on your hand or knee. Don't push him into accepting intimate petting until he is ready.

Remember he is just a baby and will need more sleep and more food than an adult bird. If you have a sleep cage, use it so he will have undisturbed sleep. Give him all the food he will eat. He will not get fat. He has weight to put back on after weaning. He should have food available at all times. Weigh him daily for at least the first 6 months. Record the weight. Learn what is normal for your Grey - there will be small weight changes over time. Small losses - a downward trend for several days will call for a trip to the avian vet. The vet should see him immediately if there is a large loss on any one day.

Thank you Dave, we need more threads like this from you...FYI's on how things are, need to knows......They need to be "STICKY'S", and maybe there own room. [FYI] Not questions or answers, but tid-bits of correct and accurate info......This is my opinion.