NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need to rehome 13 year old African Grey

Harley13

I live in central Tennessee and have had Harley since he was old enough to come home with me. I changed jobs several years ago and the new job requires me to travel most of the time. I have considered for several years to try to find him a better home but for selfish reasons have never acted on it. He is very loving with me, healthy, and very talkative. I have a friend who keeps telling me she would love to have Harley but she has never owned a bird and she has two big dogs so I am can't go through with that. I need to make sure his new owner is an experienced parrot owner and has time to give him the love and attention he so well deserves. Because I am gone more than I am home I feel like he would be happier with a new home, no matter how much it hurts me!

How sad. I have no doubt the thought of finding Harley a new home is a hard one that hurts. Since you say you have done this job for several years. If Harley is ok with it, why find him a new home? I am just thinking of Harley. :) I know you probably feel guilty, but are you home most evenings and spend time with him? If so, many people work full time and only see there greys in the evenings and weekends.

I don't live in your area, but others here may and hopefully will chime in.

I have to leave town for days (usually every week), sometimes weeks at a time. I think the longest I have been gone on one trip is 6 weeks. My mother kindly takes care of him but isn't too fond of handling him so he has to stay in his cage the whole time I am gone. I hate putting that burden on her, and Harley.

That is a lot of time to be away especially weeks at a time and even though he is comfortable with your mother he has to stay in his cage all that time so it might be the best thing to find him a new home where he will get the out of cage time he needs. I know this is a tough decision for you as you seem to care for him deeply.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an avian club in your area? That would be a good place to start. You also might contact local avian vets and post ads in their offices or ask them to keep an ear open to prospective adoptive parents. I'm sure Nashville or Memphis have resources of this kind. Take your time and vet each possibility carefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...