NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can an indoor grey live outdoors?

KimKim

I have been fighting with my husband for years about Babalu and his dander/feathers. We now have a 14 month old daughter and sometimes I think she might have his allergies. I live in North San Diego County in CA, and already have an outdoor aviary that he goes in during nice days. If I do switch him to outdoors, I would buy or remake a safer aviary for him, along with better shelter and maybe a heat element if I have to. What do you think?

Thanks

I agree with Penny. If your going to move him out to an aviary because you are concerned with a possible dander allergy. It would be a more humane act to find a good loving home that he can enjoy being with his only flock which is human indoors. He would be alone most the time and suffer outdoors in my opinion.

How sad for all of you! I agree with Dan and Talon. I don't have that much experience, but I know Timber strives to be in the middle of things at our house, calling when he is alone in a room and trying to interact with us, even the cats. They are have a flock mentality and can't thrive without one in my opinion. You and your family are Babalu's flock now, and he needs contact and interaction.

Thanks for your replies. I would still go out and talk to him and go in the aviary with him. He also goes out there everyday all day when the weather is nice, so he is use to being outside. He has never been an affectionate grey anyway, he does not like to be held and cuddled. But you still think rehoming him would be better? I already know a lady who took interest in him when I told her our situation, but she would house in in an outdoor aviary also and find him a mate. She is very knowledgeable and has Rose Breasted Cockatoos and a pair of Greys already. Would that be better?

Well, some Greys are not cuddle muffins etc., but that does not mean they do not enjoy being with the family in the home and hanging out on a play stand or maybe just chilling on your knee for example.

This is just my personal opinion, but if I were in that situation, I would not re-home my grey to a person that is going to try and turn it in to a breeder. A grey that has been socialized and welcomes the opportunity to hang out and chill with humans will not normally become a breeder and may end up harmed themselves or killing the other for example if they are placed together in a cage or enclosure.

I would find a home that would accept him "As-Is" and just appreciate the opportunity of having and hanging out with a grey in their home for many happy years. You never know, in the right home he may warm up and become even more interactive than he presently is.

I am certain others will have some good thoughts on this as well for you to take in to consideration. :)

In my opinion, in your situation, I would re-home Babalu with another family. Sometimes it is best to re-home in the best interest of a parrot.

Example, I brought home my Ana Grey when she was 4 months old. Then I re-homed an older male eclectus parrot. Ana Grey would dive bomb poor Sully whenever he was out of his cage and he would run and hide wherever he could. Ana Grey was relentless with her dislike for Sully. I gave Sully to the neighbor teenager next door with the good wishes of his family. Sully is very loved and very happy. Sully goes to bird fairs and shopping with the family all the time. He is a great shoulder bird for them. The last time I saw Sully was when the family with Sully came over to play cards. Ana Grey was tucked in her cage and Sully on his owner's shoulder at the card table. Sully walked down his owner's shoulder up my arm to my shoulder and gave me a kiss on the cheek then he walked back to his owner and up to his perch on Jordan's shoulder. It bought tears to my eyes as to me this was a thank you for giving him a new and loving home. Parrots have such heart and such memories they remember things and understand much more than we give them credit for. Giving Sully away was the best thing I could have done for him and for my remaining flock.

Re-homing a parrot is sometimes a good thing.

KimKim... such a hard decision! I was lucky knowing I had two asthmatic kids, to get them tested before commiting to a rescue.I'm glad we can have birds.Noone allergic.If they had been... we would not have birds.Not fair for your bird, as they desire to be part of the flock. My guys want out of the cage the moment anyone walks in the door. They are out until bedtime. Sure we all have things to do. Hense.... we trade off the birds all the time! Sophie is so use to being bounced around with all family members, she even asks Ollie our dog, to stepup! LOL ( He puts his foot down at that! He already does all her bidding!) Remember.... one of the best sacrifices a mom can make, is for the good of their children. I believe that as well for birds. Nancy

It is sad that you committed to a grey at one time and can't keep that commitment. I think you should get your daughter tested to be sure it is an allergy to your grey. Obviously, your husband doesn't seem to want your bird around. That being said, I am sure it's not an easy decision for you to give your bird up, but to mot allow him to be with your family as he is used to and being put outside would be cruel.

As for giving him to another lady who wants to condem himto an outside aviary isnt any better of a choice, it seems worse because now your sending him off to a stranger and a strange home. He has no say in his life, and you should be the voice for what is best for him. As for this woman thinking that she can find a mate for him, is slim. There are no guarantees that a grey will like another bird, they might tolerate it, but it is rare that become attached to a mate after so much human interaction.

Please do what is in the best interest of giving him a LOVING, CARING and FOREVER home. You owe that to him. He is a lifelong commitment to whoever takes him and should not be given to home after home because of life's changes. It takes a committed person for life to adopt a grey.

I am or trying to scold you, so please don't be offended, just want you to give some serious thought into who adopts him. Just my opinion is all.

I have 3 different air purifiers, even the expensive rabbit air. I am thinking I can move his indoor cage in the office. The office had those accordion doors to separate it from the living room, but we removed those doors so it is wide open so he will still be able to see everything that goes on. Then I can get the extra long baby gate and put that up. It can be a semi bird room/office, if my husband goes for it, I haven't told him yet.

An outdoor aviary can be a good thing for your bird as long as he has indoor access for interaction with you all. They are a flock bird so require social interaction, just like us they were not meant to be hermits alone and disengaged. The Sunlight and fresh air are both very good for him so perhaps you could build and enclosure that also serves the family as a patio area to spend some outdoor time with him as well as indoor time in hubby's office. Sharing a healthy fresh veggie plate with him on the patio would be good for all.

KimKim... being a medical person,I KNOW you will try to make it work. If family members are allergic... it is not fair to them. No matter how many air filters you place... they are allergic. Any allergy to an animal, WILL NOT change! It is unhealthy for the human. For those that ignore this, they tend to avoid the animal they are allergic too. Many get allergy shots, etc. I've been there since I was age nine.Nancy

IF KimKim, needs to rehome, I believe she will do so with finding the "best" family. I do not agree with bird going to outside. If humans are allergic, they are allergic.I feel so strongly about this, because when I was younger, we had a calico cat that would cause me to wheeze. I was the only one that loved this darn cat, so I would suffer. I remember those scary nights of not being able to breathe. NEVER again! If my kids tested positive to allergies to birds... they weren't coming home. I have two non-shedding dogs as kids are allergic to dogs. Luckily, both tested negative to bird dander. Nancy