NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Building communication

Earthchild

I introduced Irwin in the welcome room already, but now I have more questions. We have been working with Irwin for a few weeks now and he has added some new sounds to our conversations. He also repeat sounds that he already knows in exchange for a treat. We have been trying to teach him some words: nut, seed, hi, irwin; but so far the only new word he learned is weeee. Weee is now his favorite word, but he doesn't say it, he scream/whistles it very loudly. Any suggestions on easy words to teach? Can all Greys even talk?

Also on another topic does anyone have any advice on hand taming him? So far he only allows hands in his cage to hand him a treat very carefully. Any other time he freaks out and flies. He also freaks if you try to offer him a treat differently than usual like open palm or balanced on 2 fingers.

Progress slowly don't rush just let him move forward at his own pace. Like us some start late or never, some start early and never look back. Let go of any expectations and just enjoy they journey. What ever seems to work for you and Irwin is good advice.

The others have given good comments and as stated, time and patience will overcome the trust issue that presently exists.

In regards them picking up words, they chose which are most useful to them at first. Things like hello, favorite food like a "Nut or Almond, Apple etc." are commonly the first words as you consistently use them each time for a given response or item. Not all greys will talk. You will only learn if your grey will talk or not over time. Presently he has learned that developed sounds equal a treat for example as you have mentioned. It's wonderful that you are that in-tune with your grey to understand "Parrotese". :)

Edited by danmcq

Thanks, I study animal cognition so that helps alot. I also have all of pepperburgs books and articles. I think it's really neat how I started out thinking oh grey's can talk how cool, but Irwin doesn't talk and we still can communicate. Their intelligence goes so far beyond what words they can speak.

Indeed it does!!! I wish we could mind meld with them. But, It would probably then frighten and shock us. :)

LOL...Spock once told me, rather matter-of-factually, "When I tried to mind-meld with Jay, I got a headache. I will try again in a few generations when man's mind has evolved."