NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Picking feather under both wings

Hello,

Need your advice...

My african grey, after earthquake started picking feather under both wings and her behaviour became very strange: 1. she is very stressed 2. stopped talking 3. she is seating in cage and very rarely comes out

But she eats a lot

Actions taken:

Tried to cure with Feather-In (2 weeks) but no result . She continued picking...

Have no idea what to do (please do not advice to take her to vet, because here we do not have professional vets, who can fix such a case) :confused::confused::confused:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Leonilli.

When the earthquake happened. Did your grey flap around a lot (I suspect so) and possibly damage multiple feathers on each wing? They will pick at damaged feathers until they are removed. Also, I would suspect there have been aftershocks that you may not feel but she can. The picking could of course be anxiety induced and hopefully with no further earthquakes for a while she will stop. Just try and not let your emotions be any other than relaxed and happy around her. I know we all fret over all our greys, but they do pick emotions whether you believe you are displaying or not.

Thanks for reply danmcq,

Earthquake happened in december 2012... She flapped around a lot and she damaged feather on each wing. Unfortunately I did not noticed it at the same time :(

She is picking damaged feather and then bleeding starts... but how I can make to stop her no to do this I don't know :( Now I started to put on damaged areas cream for injuries (for softening), hope it will help...

Edited by leonilli

No creams or oinments please, you can mist her with either plain water or Aloe Vera juice-not gel. The Aloe and the water will both provide some soothing relief for her injured feathers. She may have some bruising that would be hard to see under the feathers. Be patient with her and treat her as normal as she can read your stress and it will add to her upset feelings making her feel less secure. Chamomile tea in her water would be safe to use to help her relax a bit.

Greywings gave great advice on using the aloe juice and misting. One other thing you will want to do as well if there are raw and bleeding spots is to get some 100 percent aloe gel and apply it to those raw area's directly. They will sooth them and also have antibiotic affects that will help keep any infections away.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to disagree about aloe vera juice soothing injured feathers. The juice has no effect on injured or uninjured feathers. Aloe juice is strictly for conditions of the skin. Just like water, the juice will simply roll off a grey's feathers without any penetration. And you should check and see where that blood is coming from. Bloody areas need closing agents such as aloe gel in order to slow down bleeding areas. The gel works the samr way as first aid cream works on people. As a matter of fact, many people use aloe gel for cuts and bloody areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

Thanks for replies...

I still have no good results with my grey :( Tried Aloe Vera juice, but nothing changed. Tried Aloe vera gel, but no changes as well... she still plucks the feather :( and very often falls down. I gave her chamomile tea to help relax, but she is still anxious, maybe there is a better solution? Ordered avian collar, going to attach it, but before I get it I'll make it myself hope it will help. Please if you have any better ideas help me to treat my grey.

Her daily diet is:

1. ZuPreem FruitBlend with Natural Fruit Flavors for Large Birds

2. Sunflower seeds

3. Kaytee Exact Natural Parrot/Conure Diet

4. ZuPreem NutBlend with Natural Nut Flavor Premium Daily Bird Food

5. ZuPreem VeggieBlend with Natural Carrot Flavor Premium Daily Parrot Food

6. Peanuts

7. Walnuts

Dear All,

Thanks for replies...

I still have no good results with my grey :( Tried Aloe Vera juice, but nothing changed. Tried Aloe vera gel, but no changes as well... she still plucks the feather :( and very often falls down. I gave her chamomile tea to help relax, but she is still anxious, maybe there is a better solution? Ordered avian collar, going to attach it, but before I get it I'll make it myself hope it will help. Please if you have any better ideas help me to treat my grey.

Her daily diet is:

1. ZuPreem FruitBlend with Natural Fruit Flavors for Large Birds

2. Sunflower seeds

3. Kaytee Exact Natural Parrot/Conure Diet

4. ZuPreem NutBlend with Natural Nut Flavor Premium Daily Bird Food

5. ZuPreem VeggieBlend with Natural Carrot Flavor Premium Daily Parrot Food

6. Peanuts

7. Walnuts

Hi...what might help is to work on the baby's diet...ZuPreem Fruit Blend/VeggieBlend - there is scientific evidence that might support the theory that the additive food coloring might cause potential problems. The Nut Blend is great...you might also want to try ZuPreem Natural or Harrison's. Sunflower seeds - These should be limited to approximately three tablespoons a day, given as a treat, not as a meal. Kaytee Exact - A lot of people prefer Volkman's or Royal Safflower Seed Mix (No sunflower seeds). This should be kept in the cage 24/7. Peanuts should only be given as No Salt/Roasted human grade and be limited to just a couple a day as a treat. Walnuts - One Walnut, almond, (no salt) pistachios can be given daily. No avian collar is needed at this time...Here is where the problem lies...your baby needs an assortment of these items daily:

1. Dark, leafy green vegetables such as Dandelion greens, Carrot tops, Kale, Bok Choy, Collard Greens, Sugar Snap Peas in the pod, Zucchini, etc.

2. Beta-carotene vegetables such as fresh carrots (raw or lightly steamed), sweet potatoes, squash, butternut squash, peppers, etc. Sweet potatoes can be steamed or boiled and served warm or cold.

3. Cooked legumes: Pinto beans, black beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzo beans (only once or twice a week) (No sodium or added sugar)

4. Walnuts, almonds: These supply EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids)

5. Pastas and Brown Rice: pasta is raw or cooked...brown rice must always be cooked.

6. Proteins: Extra hard-boiled eggs (pre-scrubbed with white vinegar before cooking) served shell and all once or twice a week. A chicken wing bone or drumstick bone (cooked) with most of the meat gone served once or twice a week. Salmon or canned no-sodium albacore tuna once or twice a week. Scrambled eggs cooked in virgin olive oil once a week.

7. Miscellaneous: Red Palm Oil

8. Fruit: very little served since Greys do not need too much fruit. A chunk of apple, a grape, a chunk of orange, etc. every other day...

Everything should be served fresh..if it is canned or frozen, it must be rinsed and have low to no sodium. No added salt or sugar...

I am sure that we forgot something ...LOL...Dave007 is a true expert on plucking...maybe he will chime in. Thank you, Jayd and Maggie

Has your baby been checked by a vet? When you said "Always falling down", do you mean the feathers or your Grey?

Edited by Spock

Spock gave a great response with sound advice.

One other comment specifically in regards your grey falling all the time. This could indicate a serious health issue and so could the feather plucking. I know you said you don't have a local avian vet, but I would strongly suggest trying to find one ASAP to have you grey checked out and blood work done.

One question on diet. What was your grey eating before you brought her home? The reason I ask, is because they can have allergic reactions to food food items such as peanuts, wheat and gluten which many pellets contain etc. If it is an allergic reaction to something like that. It can easily be proven by stopping all pellets, nuts and just feeding a good seed mix and see if her condition improves after a few weeks.

But, I cannot stress enough that you really should see an avian vet and have blood work done along with a thorough examination.

Edited by danmcq

That is NOT what would be considered as the normal plucking issues seen. As Jay said, you need to get your grey to the vet ASAP!!! It could be an underlying tumor/underlying fracture from the earthquake flapping in cage or other such serious ailment. Also, it is an open wound, the skin has been chewed away and it is probably seriously infected which will kill your grey very quickly if not addressed.

Edited by danmcq

Dear All,

Thanks for helping and for advice - to take my grey to the avian vet. It was really helpful... After all what I have posted I believe that my English is so bad that I was not able to explain that, here, we DO NOT HAVE AVIAN VETS. If you really want to HELP ME and MY GREY please let me know what to do in this case.

Thanks a lot

Edited by leonilli

Dear All,

Thanks for helping and for advice - to take my grey to the avian vet. It was really helpful... After all what I have posted I believe that my English is so bad that I was not able to explain that, here, we DO NOT HAVE AVIAN VETS. If you really want to HELP ME and MY GREY please let me know what to do in this case.

Thanks a lot

Your Grey needs to be taken to some kind of animal doctor or even a human doctor even if you have to drive more than 500 kilometers...if this poor creature is not dying now, he will die. We are not vets...you have not mentioned where you are from or even what type of medical facilities are available. Your Grey is a living creature who is suffering...we really DO WANT TO HELP YOU...and we want you to help your Grey. Please get him some type of medical attention as soon as possible. You have no choice...Keep him warm and in a dust-free environment as possible. This is something that you would do for anyone who is injured. Take him to a college or school and have someone look at him...this is a matter of life and death for your Grey.

Jay is spot on with his advice.

I do not know where you live, but please exhaust all resources that may be in your country like regular veterinarian, wild life rehabs, zoo's colleges of animal medicine etc.and web search in your country for any resource that even though they may not be able to help could guide you to a place or someone that could. I wish we were avian vet's, but we are not. This needs to be looked at, diagnosed and treated properly.

I live in an area where there aren't any "certified" avian vets also. I have the option of driving 2-3 hours to get to one and would do so if necessary. However, there are several vets within closer driving distance who will treat birds. As Jay said, you need to take your bird somewhere. Call around to the vets you can get to and see if any of them are willing to treat birds. It's possible that some do, as they do here, because of the lack of avian vets. Make some calls and see what you can find out. The other suggestions are good too if that isn't the case. Get him somewhere!

The question is, what country? and how many kilos between areas of population. As we've learned from some of our members, there's country's with no vets, that's why I suggested any medical person or ouylet, fingers crossed....

Apply some neosporin after cleaning with 50%peroxide and saline. You need to open birds room.Figure it out! Open the cage door, with a stepup play gym in front of the door.If we choose as humans, to adopt birds, we need to create an enviroment that makes them thrive. If they are chewing...something is wrong with our enviromental choices. Nancy

The question is, what country? and how many kilos between areas of population. As we've learned from some of our members, there's country's with no vets, that's why I suggested any medical person or ouylet, fingers crossed....

Hi...Maggie typing for Jay...Nancy, please forgive me but I have to make some corrections. Please, I mean nothing against you...to start with, these are serious open wounds and more than likely, this Grey will need antibiotic injections. Neosporin: use the cream, not ointment as petroleum based products will hurt parrots. If flushing with peroxide (Aloe Vera juice is better on avian care), use ONLY a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) solution. It must be diluted with 70 percent distilled water and then flushed clean after using the peroxide/distilled water with fresh distilled water. Some countries don't package hydrogen peroxide like we do in America. They package it at 100 percent H2O2 and it is not always carried in drug stores as we know them. Can you imagine using 100% H2O2 on an open wound??? No saline, please...Again Nancy, please, I am not meaning to cause any trouble...I hope we hear from this person again. Thanks, Jayd

Hi All,

I think I have found answer on my question, here is it (http://www.avianweb.com/PBFD.html):

Feather Plucker or PBFD? Young chicks are not likely to pluck; so this would not apply to chicks. However, if an adult bird develops bald spots, you might consider either possibility. You can distinguish between PBFD and normal feather plucking by looking at where the feathers are being lost. If they are missing from the head and crest - an area they cannot get to with their beak to pluck - then it is likely to be Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease.

A Bird Suffering from PBFD ...

is likely to show the characteristic abnormal feather and beak growth

might have feathers that look like stubbles and are obviously deformed

is likely to have short ‘clubbed’ feathers

may develop curly feathers

may have feather shafts that often break, or you might see narrowing or pinching of the shafts (this condition worsens with each molt and your bird will usually become progressively balder due to inactivity of its feather follicles).

may have a beak that is deformed, especially the upper beak, and often overgrown; the beak usually splits or breaks