NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can A Grey Love Again?

Nikkinono

I am looking to buy an proven african grey female who is nine years old. Apparently this female, who's name is Marybell, first mate died a year ago. I have an healthy male ( DNA sexed) African Grey for the last seven years. I want him to have a mate ( if he is willing). My question is, is it unheard of for a African Grey Female to take another mate after losing their first mate?

There are chances that he may take another one....but there are many instances of greys not accepting any other bird...in that case..u'll have to take care of him...but i think you should give it a try...get the female..dont keep them in one cage but keep her cage next to his...if they start interacting then you can move them both into a bigger cage

I am sorry. The female that I am looking to Buy is the one that has lost her mate. I want to purchase this proven female for my male bird to see if they will hit it off. Yes I was going to just put theire cages side by side to let them get used to each other. I was asking because I don't want to buy this female if it is a known fact tht she will never want to mate with another male.

I am looking to buy an proven african grey female who is nine years old. Apparently this female, who's name is Marybell, first mate died a year ago. I have an healthy male ( DNA sexed) African Grey for the last seven years. I want him to have a mate ( if he is willing). My question is, is it unheard of for a African Grey Female to take another mate after losing their first mate?

I personally think that you're being cruel to your bird because for the last 7 yrs, you've been your bird's mate. As it stands , your bird is a pet bird and it should remain that way. Your bird isn't lonely. Only owners think that way. There's nothing wrong with getting a second bird if you intend on just having another pet. Like any orther grey they would need their own separate living quarters. Breeders don't make good pets. There's a possible chance that the breeder will try to maim the pet bird. Pet birds aim their allegience to the owner. Breeders aim their allegience towards another bird, not people. Breeder birds know the difference between pet birds and other breeder birds. Be extremely careful. If you've never bred medium to large parrots before, expect lots difficulties. It's not just a matter of putting 2 birds together. There's lots of knowledge that a person needs in order to breed greys. Just because someone says that it's okay to try it out doesn't make it right. People saying something like that should have lots of experience when it comes to breeding big parrots.

Oh! My Male ( Echo) has never let anybody handle him. He will let me set him on top of the cage and once in a great while he will let me scratch the top of his head. I wanted to get him a wife so that he would at least have a companion, but I don't want to get a female that will not want anything to do with him because she already had a mate. Does that make since?

Oh! My Male ( Echo) has never let anybody handle him. He will let me set him on top of the cage and once in a great while he will let me scratch the top of his head. I wanted to get him a wife so that he would at least have a companion, but I don't want to get a female that will not want anything to do with him because she already had a mate. Does that make since?

No, it doesn't make sense. Loads of people here have birds that have the same personality that your birds have. The last thing they would do is get another bird to *make the bird happy*. They simply accept that personality and work with the bird or decide that the bird needs another home that has more experience with aggressive birds. Breeders are aggressive birds. If you think that he'll calm down a bit after getting him a breeder bird, think twice about that. I have the parents of one of my male pet greys. About 5 yrs ago, the female breeder tried to attack and seriously hurt her own offspring. She bit him and his leg was bleeding all over the place. Luckily, I was there and was able to quickly separate them. I take complete blame for that. I wasn't being careful. I accidently got distracted and brought the pet bird down to where the breeding pair were. My pet grey was on my shoulder being very quiet and I forgot that he was there.

Edited by Dave007