NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi everybody :)

My name is peter and Im form Czech republic. A 2 day ago I bought with my girl our firs gray parrot Richard. He is 3 month old and he is very playful and friendly. He is starting flying now. He loves plastic bottle and stick. I make some post everytime when he make something new. See you soon

Hello Peter and welcome to our family.

I saw the video of Richard in another thread, he is adorable as all grey babies are and now that he is flying I hope you will leave his wings unclipped so he can continue to do what a bird was meant to do, you just have to make some adjustments but you will have a more confident grey if you leave him flighted.

He is afraid of the plastic bottle the way you are playing is threatening to him. I am sure you are not meaning to scare him, try just putting some almonds or marbles inside the bottle. Then shake it a little and lay it down for him to investigate. Let him play by himself. To interact with him maybe tug-of -war with a sock or scarf would be less frightening. Want to keep your relationship with Richard a good one based on trust.

• 3 weeks later...

Like Greywings, I have to admit I was a little concerned when I saw the bottle video. I'm definately not an expert, but at times he looked like he was having fun, and at other times he looked frightened. I guess it was when the bottle came at him from above that it seemed to cross a line. You know your bird, but I think Greywings play suggestions would be just as fun but won't run any risk of scaring your sweet grey.

I also have to agree with the video being boardline disturbing ... even tho, you are meaning to play I think something coming over your babies head def looks like its freightning him. not to mention the bottle is huge like a 2liter. try and watch your birds reactions and read the signs they are giving you ... this will take time but I wouldnt suggest you continue play in that manner ... just my opinion :) enjoy your babybird just try not to break a bond/trust issue they are attempting to gain with you.

I put cherrios in Bongos bottle. Its a small one and he loves when i shake it. Never over his head though, he does seem to think i would hit him, shake it below or in front of him and watch him bobb his head. Try rice in the bottle! Keep it fun and build that trust! He is a cutie!