NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to get a bird to try new foods?

EllieMae

Hi everyone

I'm having a hard time getting Leo to eat fruits and veggies. When I got him his diet was whatever wildbird food was on sale at Tractor Supply. When I brought him home I switched his food to a blend of ZuPreem nutblend, Lafeber's pellets and a seed,nut,biscuit blend. He made the switch well and at first would eat all of it. I also try to give him fruits and fresh veggies daily but he wants nothing to do with them. The only exception to this is he loves the niblet corn cobbs and has even been coaxed out of his cage with one. I've seen him eat a couple of grapes but they too hit the cage floor now. I brought home Sassy almost a week ago and she eats very well. If I give it to her she eats it. The good news is Leo is watching her and seems curious. I've noticed that at least now the chunks of food in the bottom of the cage have bites out of them. Yesterday I gave them each a plate of warm veggies in their cages and Sassy started devouring hers...I saw Leo going from perch to perch watching her in her cage and then looking down at his plate. He finally went to the perch above the plate and was giving it some serious eyeballing. I was tickled..I just knew he was going to go down and take a taste. WRONG... He looked at me squawked positioned himself over the plate, wiggled his tail and dropped a bomb right in the middle of it. Then he climbed back up his cage to his favorite perch. How can I get this stubborn boy to eat veggies other than corn?

Timber will usually only eat fresh veggies if they are on his skewer (metal rod that hangs). I'm not sure why, but if I hang it where he can reach it from a perch, I can tell he has picked at it some. Just an idea for you. Also, I'm sure you have read about adding veggies to "chop." There is a thread on that. Good luck! :)

:)A little trick and it's good for your parrot, a Salad spritzer.

To make:

1/4 cup Apple cider vinegAr

1 1/4 cup of Olive oil [light, virgin, regular]

Shake for 30 sec's, and spray lightly on desired food.

You can add some: Cranberry, blackberry, orange, pomegranate, raspberry, blueberry, carrot etc

Just squeeze some fresh, a little goes a long way. If you wish to add flavors, use light olive oil, it has less taste. Olive oil is great for our parrots, it is second to Red Palm oil in Vit E

Edited by Jayd
E

Good suggestion Jay. :)

Olive Oil is certainly a good choice for us humans and birds. I know Dayo dives in to my salads with vinegar and oil dressing. Just be cautious on the iron content in regards our birds. Nothing wrong at all for our birds to have a little from time to time though. Now you have gone and made my crave a good salad for lunch. How dare you make me want to eat healthy! :P

Olive oil (Olea europaea),

Nutritional value per 100 g.

(Source: USDA National Nutrient data base) Principle Nutrient Value Percentage of RDA Energy 884 Kcal 44% Carbohydrates 0 g 0% Protein 0 g 0% Total Fat 100 g 500% Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Dietary Fiber 0 g 0% Vitamins

Folates 0 µg 0% Niacin 0 mg 0% Pantothenic acid 0 mg 0% Pyridoxine 0 mg 0% Riboflavin 0 mg 0% Thiamin 0 mg 0% Vitamin A 0 IU 0% Vitamin C 0 0% Vitamin E 14.39 mg 96% Vitamin K 60.2 µg 50% Electrolytes

Sodium 2 mg 0% Potassium 1 mg 0% Minerals

Calcium 1 mg 0% Copper 0 mg 0% Iron 0.56 mg 7 % Magnesium 0 mg 0% Manganese 0 mg 0% Phosphorus 0 mg 0% Selenium 0 µg 0% Zinc 0.01 mg <1% Phyto-nutrients

Carotene-ß 0 µg -- Crypto-xanthin-ß 0 µg -- Lutein-zeaxanthin 0 µg -- Phytosterols 221 mg --

Health benefits of olive oil

• Olive oil has distinct flavor and taste. Unlike many other oils, which are extracted from nuts and seeds, the oil is obtained from the olive fruits and hence, contains large amounts of plant-derived anti-oxidants, phyto-sterols, and vitamins.
  • Olive oil is recognized as one of the healthiest edible oils since it contains less saturated fats, and composes linoleic (omega-6) and linolenic acid (omega-3) essential fatty acids at recommended 8:1 ratio.
  • The oil is high in calories. Its high-calorie content is because of its fats. However, it is especially rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) like oleic acid (18:1) and palmitoleic acid (16:1) that help to lower LDL or "bad cholesterol" and increase HDL or "good cholesterol" in the blood. Research studies suggest that Mediterranean diet, which is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids help to prevent coronary artery disease and strokes by favoring healthy blood lipid profile.
  • Olive oil, especially extra virgin, contains tyrosol phenolic compounds such as oleuropein and oleocanthal. These compounds are responsible for its bitter, and pungent taste. Oleocanthal, oleurpein, and its derivative hydroxytyrosol are nature’s most powerful anti-oxidants. Together with vitamin E and carotenoids, they play a vital role fighting against cancer, inflammation, coronary artery disease, degenerative nerve diseases, diabetes…etc.
  • Studies suggest that oleocanthal has ibuprofen (NSAID) like ant-inflammatory activities. Mediterranean diet that uses olive oil may be responsible in part for the low incidence of coronary artery disease.
  • Being a vegetable source, it has very high levels of plant sterols, especially β-sitosterol. The FDA has approved the following claim for phytosterols: "Foods containing at least 0.4 gram per serving of plant sterols, eaten twice a day with meals for a daily total intake of at least 0.8 gram, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease." Phyto-sterols competitively inhibit cholesterol absorption in the gut and thereby can reduce total cholesterol levels by 10% to 15%.
  • Olive oil is rich in vitamin E. 100 g fresh extra-virgin oil contains 14.39 mcg (about 96% of RDA) of alpha-tocopherol. Vitamin E is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant, required for maintaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucus membranes and skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
  • In addition, extra-virgin oil is also a very good source of vitamin K; 100 g provides about 50% of DRI. Vitamin K has a potential role in the increase of bone mass by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bone. It also has established role in Alzheimer's disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.

Oh Jay, you didn't need to do that. :) Your post was just fine and helpful in letting members here know about vinegar and olive oil as an enticement to get them to eat some foods they have previously refused. It's good stuff and healthy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I put veg into blender then add small amount of seed mix, while Alfie trys to pick out seed he has no choice but to eat veg as it sticks to seed and beak! there are some good 'chop' idears on here, I always end up with empty dish, some gets onto cage bottom but he eats most of it also sweet corn on the cob hung in cage but only now and then........be warned its messy.

I also boil a little bit of sweet potato and mash that in he loves it and again has no choice but to eat veg as its all mashed up together, a little of what they love mixed in with the stuff thats good for them seems to work for me.

I'm lucky to have three birds of different origins take turns with the fresh fruit and veggies that get delivered. Kiki tries it.... then they all dive in. Kiki has a GREAT job of being the tester! Believe me,if Sophie doesn't like it, she will fling it at the walls. I can see her now..." what were you thinking Kiki? "This stuff sucks! LOL! Nancy