NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dolphins using names to call each other

danmcq

Gracie certainly calls me by name, as well as about 4 other people and the dog. Dolphins are pretty darn cool though. Their communication goes way beyond names. I watched a documentary once where trained dolphins were told to surprise their trainers with a series of "tricks" (behaviors) that they could choose and sort of "improv" without a human trainer dirrecting them. Four dolphins went underwater and seemed to "converse" for a few seconds, and then perfectly executed a series of flips and dives and dorsal and tail-fin poses in unison with Radio City Music Hall Rockette precision. Every time they were asked to do this, they kind of huddled together first, nose to nose, and then did something different each time. There was no human intervention. Amazing if you ask me.

Edited by JeffNOK

Your right Jeff. I watched that documentary as well when they first came out with it. I was awe struck by it. Dolphins are one of the most intelligent creatures on this planet.Their creativity, communication and organizational skills shown in that documentary were amazing. I believe scientists have just scratched the surface in decoding their language and intellectual abilities. They seem to have been in a relationship with man through out recorded history. Growing up in California, I have always been exposed to Dolphins since a wee lad. In fact, about 20 years ago I was getting burned out in the hardware/software engineering field and started pursuing a second degree in Marine biology to change occupations. But, the never ending deadlines and long hours at jobs made it impossible to complete.... sigh.

Anyway, I was just dumbstruck by the comment of Dolphins being the only other creature besides man to use names. :)

• 1 month later...