NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

:( my Nilahhas done it again...

Talon

Once again Nilah has gotten into a no-no. She is worse than any of my 4 kids were. She is into everything, eats glue, make up. soap, toothpaste, dish soap, ANYTHING she can get her beak onto. I am quite certain one day she will die because of it....:(

The rule I have is if it's quiet, I need to find her and see what she is up too.

Well, today as the birds & I were eating breakfast at the table, I dont usually worry about Nilah as she prefers to wait on top of the kitchen cabinets until we are done, then she will go to the table and eat. It had been a while, so I called for her and looked around the kitchen only to find her on top of my expresso machine eating expresso beans (which she LOVES btw) She ate ALOT before I discovered her....She seems to be acting fine, I was home with her for about an hour afterwards. I put her in her cager and no am at work. She knocked over my camera and I forgot about it, so I cant log in and check on her...:( I really think she is going to die...sooner rather than later with all the different things she has eaten in her short life....:(

Just needed a place to vent some dispair...Thanks for listening, not much I can do now I suppose....just wait and watch MUCH MORE CAREFULLY!

She is going thru as terrible stage needing constant supervision...shame on me, I should have known better....my only excuse is a severe migrtain I woke up with that had me all dis-orientated as I was trying to get thru my morning routine and off to work.

• Haha 1

Hi everyone thanks for all your concern and cute comments.

Ray, as a matter of fact, one of Nilah's favorite things to say every day and to anyone who meets her, is " I wnt to go to Starbucks!" and " want a cup of coffee?" in a new York accent.....,

Anyways, I came home at 3 to check on her , when I walked in the door, I called for her..she always yells back, "hi bird!" well not today, so I expected to find her poor little body laying on the bottom of her cage........slowly I crept into the bird room.......and peeked around the corner with my eyes squinted shut......afraid to look........getting ready for the devastation I was expecting ...........I looked up slowly......and saw GREEN MOVEMENT near her snack bowl!!!!!!!

Yay! Iwas very happy, and I just now got home from my second job, and let her out of her cage and she is causing a ruckas, but seems fine.

Penny, I was reminded by Val that you should have called your avian vet or poison control right after you found what Nilah had eaten, let that be a reminder to anyone else whose bird ingests possibly toxic materials to call first, I am glad that she is ok, sorry to scold if you had already done that but you didn't mention it in your opening post.

Yes, of course, been there done that. I spoke with the vets and researched the effects of too much caffeine in parrots. They both gave me the same info. Usually problems of rapid heartbeat, anxiety, nervousness, all the symptoms us humans get from too much caffeine only the effects are a thousand times more. Eventually leading the rapid acceleration of the nervous system, and death. The vet said the effects would most likely occur in the first 30 minutes.

It didn't stop me from worrying and being scared for her.....but I was able to be somewhat calm at work as I was with her for about an hour after her morning Snack....:(

I didn't want to reply to you post because I couldn't find anything non-worrying to say, but since your aware, if I may?: Roasted beans have less caffeine than raw, Espresso beans have less caffeine than most beans. With that said you really have to be concerned with "Accumulation" what the limit is, is determined by each individual parrot. As a side note, I believe parrots consume a small amount of caffeine in their natural habitat, other species are know to consume coffee beans on bean plantations.

So glad to hear from you on this Jay. So are you saying expresso beans have less caffeine? And will this have long term effects on her?

Thank you, Yes, a espresso bean has about 7mg of caffeine compared to 11-14mg in other beans. Caffeine is stored in the liver the same as salt, now there are many berry's, fruits and foods that contain caffeine, this is where we have to watch out for accumulation, there's other names for Caffeine I'll research these and what contains caffeine and do another post in the next few days.

After reserching I don't feel you have to much to worry about, Stay away from, coffee, tea, chocolate, anything that looks like caffeine.......

What other names is Caffeine known by?

1,3,7-trimethylxanthine, 1,3,7-triméthylxanthine, Anhydrous Caffeine, Cafeina, Caféine, Caféine Anhydre, Caféine Benzodate de Sodium, Caffeine Sodium Benzoate, Caffeine Anhydrous, Caffeine Citrate, Caffeinum, Citrate de Caféine, Citrated Caffeine, Methylxanthine, Méthylxanthine, Trimethylxanthine, Triméthylxanthine.

Edited by Jayd