NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Too much attention from one person??

CAGonite

Hey all,

I have a very good bond with my beloved Ivan. Thanks to this site, I know now that Ivan has chosen me for his mate due to the heavy breathing and funny little dance these guys do when they do so. I thought he was too young to choose a mate as he is only 6 months old, but that noise that he was making was exactly the same as others have shown it to be. Either way, we are like two peas in a pod. Well, I have a wife and two young daughters (4 and 6) who don't have much of a relationship with Ivan. He bites them and sometime charges for them. Everytime that happens, he goes into his cage for a time out. The kids are, well, kids! They move too fast for him I think and are very unpredictable. They are my angels and they do give Ivan his space, but that isn't enough when they see daddy cuddling with him every night. My wife doesn't really care for him either as she is timid around that beak of his. She has tried to open up to him, yet she recently came away with a bloody finger. So my question is - if I give Ivan less attention, will he seek out the other flock members in the house for love and attention? Maybe less is more in this scenario? Also, are there any daily activities that one can do to 'win over' the bird and make him more accepting, aka less bitey?

Once a grey has selected a favorite in the household like yourself, thats pretty much it for a while. The children, well they need to be supervised and taught what not to do around or to the grey, which I assume you already know. However, Ivan has already decided they are not trustworthy at all and considers them a nuisance. Which requires even more vigilance on your part to ensure one of your children do not receive a nasty bite, which will occur should they get within striking distance.

Your wife is second fiddle. She will need to learn Ivans body language and leave him be if she see's he is not receptive of a hand or arm coming in for a step up. That is the only way she will be able to avoid a bite. You can have her offer him favorite treats to try and build a little relationship and trust and also help in cleaning the cage, feeding and watering etc. Just ensure she is cautious though and on the watch for body language indicating he is pissed and going to bite. My wife for example can do anything in the cage. I on the other hand am not welcome in the cage at all except if he wants out and I ask him to step up and he does so willingly by lifting a leg high in the air. If he only lifts a leg an inch or so, he is just faking me out to get a bite in which I have learned to just stop and leave his cage door open for him to come out on his own.

The relationships will only build over a long time and everyone including Ivan will know each others boundaries, body language and when scratches, step up's etc. are allowed or not. That's flock dynamics. :)

" If he only lifts a leg an inch or so, he is just faking me out to get a bite "

haha- These birds are so dang tricky - my oldest daughter has learned she can neck scratch for about '3 mississippi' and then quickly move her hand or else....

So if I interact less with Ivan...you don't think that will speed the process. Anyone with experience in this? It would be hard for me to do, but I'm willing since my wife and kids are home a heck of a lot more than I am...

I have tons of experience in this.....

You trying to lessen interaction will do nothing in regards trying to force Ivan in speeding upto a closer relationship with anyone. He will choose over time how much he will accept from someone else. I am positive others will come up with suggestions and comments when they see this thread. :)