NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My boy is vomiting..

EllieMae

Hi everybody,

I have had a male 3yr old CAG for about 4 months. He's been perfectly healthy and fine and progressing very well from when I brought him home. He had been in a very bad situation and will not let anyone near him but was responding to the vocalizations of other greys in videos so my husband and I decided to look for another CAG as a companion. Well last night we brought home a beautiful 5 yr old female. She has not been here even 24 hours but the difference in Leo is remarkable. He is all over his cage and sounding off trying to get her attention. He still looks and sounds perfectly normal but he's regurgitated like 4 times today. Should I be worried and take him to the vet or do you think he's just gotten himself all worked up?

Guest XxExoticPsychExX

What else happens before and after he regurgitates?

So far it seems as though he's just all excited over his prospective new lady "friend." ;)

I would have to caution you and say that if you don't want them to become breeders, I wouldn't allow them to physically interact. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but she may just become his new favorite and this may cause him to possibly become aggressive towards you and others. I could be completely wrong as well and they may be able to interact with no problems. Just be cautious.

nothing alarming at all before or after just vocalizing trying to get her attention. Then he will bob his head a couple of times and whistle again. I've never been able to handle him. He came from a really bad situation and used to scream and growl if anyone got within 3 feet of him. That has changed and he shows signs of accepting our presence and allows me to clean his cage and put food and water in his cage without much fuss. He has also been having mocking sessions with me now daily for about two months (before he wouldn't make noise or move around his cage if he thought you could see him.) He still hasn't wanted to let you see him moving around the cage but as soon as the little lady showed up he has been all over that cage and doesn't care who sees. There's been alot of good progress since I got him but just the last 15 hours since our girl arrived have been amazing to me.

EllieMae, the title of your post raised my blood pressure, as it is really unusual for a grey to actually vomit. Regurgitating, however, is absolutely normal.

It sounds like Leo is enamored with his new friend. A 3 year-old doing this for another bird is a bit odd, however. Not saying it's a problem, just unusual at his young age.

One thing I must say, however, is a new bird being brought in should be quarantined for at least a few days. Too late now for Leo and your new female, but for others considering a second bird should plan a quarantine period. This is one precaution to protect both birds from exposure to new disease.

A 3 year-old doing this for another bird is a bit odd, however. Not saying it's a problem, just unusual at his young age.

I honestly can't swear to the ages as both birds are adoptions and have only what I was told to go on.

Ya know..I did know about the quarantine thing but in all honesty.. With the way getting her came about and with all the excitement..my good sense flew out the window.

I would dare guess that your 3yr old is older and has been in this situation a time before. As far as courting, our Spock at 1yr old courted our 18yr old 'TOO, regurgitating and all. Over the years we've had many parrots that was interested in mating far before maturity, and would start masturbating at a very young age.....

Elliemae, just to put the present behavior in context, I have copied from your first post about Leo:

"This poor guy was bought a little under a year ago with a mate that he had been with for two years. The people that bought them clipped theirs wings and pretty much gave them run of the house. The female was the most active and friendly and the male (mine) was kind of reserverd and preferred to stay close to his cage. Well they took them outside with them when they went out and barbqued and things and let them free outside. On one of these occasions approx. two months ago they left the birds unattended for a period of 1-2 hours. They went back out and the male was back in his cage and the female was gone. All they found was a pile of feathers. They explained to me that a while before they had lost a cockateil to the neighbors cat in the back yard. (Idiots) So due to the trauma that this poor guy has endured with the loss of his mate and possibly being attacked as well he screams and growls at anyone that gets too close to him. This was too much for them to handle and they put him in a 12 in x 18in x 18in travel carrier and stuck him in the garage and that is how I got him."

Based on Leo's background and as Jay speculated. Leo is much older than 3 years old. He was also basically a "Breeder" and suffered immensely in the previous home. He is attracted to and desires a close relationship with his own species, not humans for the most part. By bringing home this female, you have given him what he has been praying for, another mate. His actions you have described are what one would expect from a breeder. :)

One thing you should know is a breeder will never be the grey that was hand fed and raised in a human socialized environment most the time.

Elliemae, just to put the present behavior in context, I have copied from your first post about Leo:

"This poor guy was bought a little under a year ago with a mate that he had been with for two years. The people that bought them clipped theirs wings and pretty much gave them run of the house. The female was the most active and friendly and the male (mine) was kind of reserverd and preferred to stay close to his cage. Well they took them outside with them when they went out and barbqued and things and let them free outside. On one of these occasions approx. two months ago they left the birds unattended for a period of 1-2 hours. They went back out and the male was back in his cage and the female was gone. All they found was a pile of feathers. They explained to me that a while before they had lost a cockateil to the neighbors cat in the back yard. (Idiots) So due to the trauma that this poor guy has endured with the loss of his mate and possibly being attacked as well he screams and growls at anyone that gets too close to him. This was too much for them to handle and they put him in a 12 in x 18in x 18in travel carrier and stuck him in the garage and that is how I got him."

Based on Leo's background and as Jay speculated. Leo is much older than 3 years old. He was also basically a "Breeder" and suffered immensely in the previous home. He is attracted to and desires a close relationship with his own species, not humans for the most part. By bringing home this female, you have given him what he has been praying for, another mate. His actions you have described are what one would expect from a breeder. :)

One thing you should know is a breeder will never be the grey that was hand fed and raised in a human socialized environment most the time.

Thank you Dan.

Thanks Dan

I had figured that Leo would never be an affectionate bird had only hoped to give him a happier home where he is loved and cared for. The change in him just in the time I've had him has made me very happy and I love seeing the personality come through. As I said I still cannot touch him but he does interact with us, and the other animals in the house. He likes when we mock his noises and he loves the fact that his vocalizing makes my little dog whine and howl. LOL. He will start with his beeps and whistles slowly until my little dog starts whimpering and then he kicks it in high gear.. the louder the dog whines or howls the louder and faster Leo gets. When the dog has had enough and leaves the room Leo stops and begins to preen. He also has a certain sound he'll make that makes my teils fly around the room and he seems to take much delight in that as well. But what amazes me is that since we brought in the female he is acting like a normal bird and playing in the cage instead of just sitting on the same perch when anyone is in the room. Now he doesn't care that we are in here.. he plays and seems happy anyway. I don't care if he never lets me hold him..It does my heart wonders just seeing him lively :)

I do have another question though.. I used to keep his cage door open to give him the option of coming out should he choose to do so. He's only come out of the cage one time and gettting him back was not fun and he's made no other attempts to leave his cage and I've not left it open since getting the female.. My question is, with the female here should I allow them out at the same time or what?

I only have one grey so don't feel qualified to answer this question but in my opinion I would not do that right now, he may be liking her from the safety of his own cage but allowed out to interact with her could prove to not be good, maybe one of the more knowledgeable members who have dealt with multiple greys will have an answer for you.

I also want to commend you for accepting him as he is, he may never allow you to handle him and you are fine with that, his life is enriched just by being in your presence, most people would eventually want to have him sit on their hand or have him step up but giving him his basic needs and letting him be just Leo seems to be making him happy and thats great.

Today she climbed onto his cage and went near as if she was curious. He let out that shrill noise he uses to send the other birds in flight when they get too close and he moved to a perch on the other side of the cage. She spent about 3 minutes trying to open his feeder door and then just went back to her cage. They both vocalize together but other than the one cage climb so far she hasn't shown any interest in him at all. Yesterday was the first full day of her being here and I'm watching everyone closely..maybe too much so as my house work is not getting done ... I'm pretty sure that in two weeks she will be different than she is now as she is learning us just as we are learning her. I'm just not sure if I should let them interact outside the cages even later but I don't want either of them confined to the cage if they want out.. I guess it'll just take time of observation to decide :)

Hi everyone,

After a few weeks with Chico, I introduced him to Fig my Amazon. Chico did the same thing, they are buddies now, both pruning each other all the time. I was also afraid they would rather have their own relationship together rather than me so I truly give both of them my attention as much as possible in their own ways as both of them are different and want different things. In my opinion it is a good thing as they are getting along and not having to worry about them fightiing. Now don't get me wrong - Fig was jealous I introduced Chico and was very protective of him the first few weeks but we got thru it. Chico never seems to get jealous of Fig. As I am typing they are on the play stand kissing and pruning each other. I did have a video , if I can find it and figure out how to load the video of them kissing I will let all you see them.

Good luck with both your greys you will love them!

Yesterday was the first full day of her being here and I'm watching everyone closely..maybe too much so as my house work is not getting done ... I'm pretty sure that in two weeks she will be different than she is now as she is learning us just as we are learning her. I'm just not sure if I should let them interact outside the cages even later but I don't want either of them confined to the cage if they want out.. I guess it'll just take time of observation to decide :)

They sure can stop us from doing things we need to get done. :) Yes, time is their best friend in getting used to the new home and flock. Things will will progress and work out slowly as you all become acquainted with each other. I look forward to hearing updates as this progresses.