NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

we are still working hard

aw64

Hi Guys, Well I dont know if I'm going in right direction but over the week end Alfie still been his normal self, bite bite bite , but I have been returning him to his cage which is not always easy as he just flys off! but have found allowing short bursts of time out of cage seems to work better example out for an hour then return for a while then out again, but he is so sly he has learnt to ask for tickle tickle and does it after I have give him sad face and told him NO BITE and will then sit there head down and allow me to give him head tickles even turns his head for me to do under his beak.

Would like to start trying him in smaller cage for bedtime so he can go to bed earlyer in another room as his main cage is in our lounge but what worrys me about this is getting him in it and back in his other cage next morning mainly on work days when there is'nt the time to pace backwards and forwards after a flighted bird.

Iv tried very hard over the wk end to read his body language and sit back and leave him alone but then he just gets into mischief so I have to move to prevent damage or he just comes to me he really is trying it on I'm sure and pushing me all the time, in the last 6 months this baby has had a total personality change but nothing has changed with what I do, I am shattered !

Would like to start trying him in smaller cage for bedtime so he can go to bed earlyer in another room as his main cage is in our lounge but what worrys me about this is getting him in it and back in his other cage next morning mainly on work days when there is'nt the time to pace backwards and forwards after a flighted bird. Iv tried very hard over the wk end to read his body language and sit back and leave him alone but then he just gets into mischief so I have to move to prevent damage or he just comes to me he really is trying it on I'm sure and pushing me all the time, in the last 6 months this baby has had a total personality change but nothing has changed with what I do, I am shattered !

Your doing great, thinking all the right thoughts and and asking GreYt questions. I think you and Alfie are coming to a nice understanding and love the "Tickle.Tickle". IN regards getting from sleep cage to daytime cage in the morning. I don't know how you may feel about this, but I would get a step-up inside the sleep cage, slowly bring him out and cup your other hand gently over and around his wings, keep him close to your chest and walk quickly to the daytime cage and place him in it. He may give some hard pinches along the way as dayo does, but as long as they are not blood letting you'll be ok. Those pinches will lessen as he becomes used to the new routine.

Just a thought, it may or may not sound like a good idea to you, but it beats trying to get a fully flighted bird caged when your in a hurry. :)

does sound a good idear will take some practice on my part i have a week off end of the month so will start then when clock wont rule our life, in the mean time I put him in smaller cage to go outside in the sun so he will be used to the cage by then, I am sure the sun makes him happy we have just come in from garden and he has been lovely.