NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Meet Irwin, we're new!

I'm Shelbie and I recently adopted Irwin from a bird collector who said he had no time for him. Before being bought by the bird collector 6 months ago he was kept as a breeder at an aviary, so he is not very tame. We have had him for about three weeks now and he is already taking treats from our hands. He also greets us with "woo" conversations. I realize that compared to some birds he is pretty tame, and already making great progress. He is afraid of hands that have no food and will leave his perch if you get to close to the cage. The collector told us that he was difficult and that it would be months before he would make any progress so I think we are doing great. I do have two questions though:

Now that he is eating from our hand what should we do next? I'm trying to just follow his lead mostly, but should we try more?

My other question is about how he spends his day, he sits on his one perch almost the entire day except really quick to go down to his foodbowl and eat or if someone scares him to the other side of the cage. Is that normal?

DSC_0414.jpg

Hello Shelbie and welcome to our family.

So glad you could give Erwin a new forever home, do you know his approximate age? That would help some in integrating him into your home but since he has been a breeder bird it might take a long time to gain his trust and he may never fully develop into a pet grey but you can enrich his life even if you are never able to handle him.

I wouldn't try getting him to step up for you, just stay with giving him treats from your hand right now since he has a fear of hands, you will just have to spend some time each day sitting by his cage and talking softly to him, maybe reading him a book or newspaper as it doesn't matter what you say as long as you are talking to him. Let him be the one to want to interact with you and it will take lots of time and much patience on your part but will be well worth it. Don't push him for more than he is willing to give at this time as you don't want to do anything to give him reason to distrust you.

If he was kept in a cage all day then that is what he knows and sitting on a perch all day was probably what he is used to but do provide some toys especially things he can chew on and if that perch is one of those round wooden kind it should be replaced with some that are of differing widths so as to exercise their feet.

Irwin is a handsome Tag and yes it is normal for him to move to the other side of the cage if you get too close, it takes time to build trust especially with a mature bird so take it slow and easy, you have made some progress so think in terms of short steps and I bet in the coming weeks and months he progresses more steps, keep us informed.

Hello and welcome Shelbie and Erwin :) Good advice from Judygram. The next step will probably be him NOT moving away from you when you are near his cage. The more time you can spend near his cage talking to him or reading or just being quiet, the more quickly that will happen I would say. Since he is greeting you and "making conversation" he is showing a desire to communicate with you. It sounds like you are coming right along in your relationship. Good luck and God bless :)

Hi Shelbie and Irwin. Welcome to the Grey family! Judy gave great advice, so I will only say, you have the right attitude. Patience, gentleness and love are what Irwin needs now to build trust. Irwin should set the pace. Thank you for giving Irwin a new life.

This sounds like a fine start, especially given Irwin's history. Even more encouraging because you said, "We have had him for about three weeks now and he is already taking treats from our hands." Many new parronts want everything to happen immediately. But you've obviously got the patience to go slowly. Most everything about Grey Time translates into slow motion. But waiting builds trust & that's the biggest thing in building a relationship w/these fids, especially when they're rehomed & coming from less than ideal situations. So, very good on you!

Everyone's pretty much given you great advise about the basics. Suggest you read everything you can about body language. Then pay close attention to eye pinning, posture, feather fluffing & the heart beat tremor of Irwin's chest.

All that really remains is to wait for him to tell you what he's comfortable trying next. You want to try hard to stay w/in his comfort zone as much as possible. Basically it's all about letting him come to you &/or explore new things once he's built up enough confident.

Assuming that you know he's healthy, you don't really need to worry too much about his lack of activity right now. It's a natural reaction to being in a new environment. His activity level will help you know how he's progressing.

You can try giving him little bits of things like short ribbons & string, buttons, Popsicle sticks, pony beads, clean plastic bottle caps, ect. This will give him more reason to get comfortable w/hands & being near you. It will also help teach him to play because he may not know how coming from an aviary. Once you find out the types of things that hold his interest, you can fill a feed cup & see what he'll do.

Once he'll play w/familiar foot toys, try stringing some together into a homemade hanging toy. Start small & hang midway down the cage vs overhead until he knows it isn't threatening. Feel free to skewer some nice pieces of veggies to hang, too. Just plan on cleaning up before anything spoils.

All that should to take you thru the next few weeks at least & hopefully, several stages of trust. Hope you'll keep posting questions & sharing Irwin's progress & welcome to the forum, Shelbie. :)

Edited by birdhouse

Hi, and welcome, Judy's right on, with Janet and Timbersmom with affirmation. I'd advise looking up Dave007 posts on breeders, there's a lot to learn there. I'd like to point a couple of things, String, "No" string, it can tangle and cause blockage in the intestinal tract. All Greys are not active, especially breeders, older Greys and abused ones, active levels vary. You can use any toy that he's comfortable with, wood blocks [thin] tied with sisal are great..

The main point here is: Was he used as a breeder because he had a problem socializing with humans? Was he a pet and then turned into a breeder? Did some one claim he's a breeder because they had a problem with him? With age and how long was he a breeder? Birdhouse's reply will become more relevant as more is found out about you rescue. Please keep us informed...Thanks Jayd

Phenix 3 favs are demolishing wood (especially molding :P), tearing paper (rolls of adding machine tape, coffee filters, napkins) & what I call straw bursts. Phenix doesn't really do photos. So here's Kura w/one. Luckily, they're a unanimous favorite around here.

kura.jpg

But even the most secure greys can be freaky about new toys. So, maybe single straws for the moment in Irwin's case.

There are lots of ideas on the Homemade Toys & Playstands forum. This is also another source for diy toy ideas. Might give you some super ideas for once Irwin's really acclimated. Meanwhile, you could use some of the materials alone to start building his confidence.

http://www.parrotenrichment.com/books.html

Edited by birdhouse

Thank you Val, [birdhouse]I don't use straw on a new bird because they are a preening toy, which as you know is to help ruffle feathers, the have a tendency to poke, which can bother a toy novice bird. Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd
correct rufffle

wow totally greattttt info given here for you :D i LOVE your picture you posted birdhouse what a lovely baby and I love the strawburst! Marco also loves straws and popsicle sticks. I have toyboxes full of lids and spools and things like that foer Marco's foot pleasure.

Maybe breeder birds dont have the luxury or knowledge of toys n stuff? It could be all new to your baby, but hopefully now for you it will help in socializing him with you. Glad you are progressing!

For the record, straw bursts are fairly large & not normally foot toys. Kura just didn't feel like waiting for me to hang that one. Since she's big enough to, she carried it off while my back was turned. lol

No exceptions, straws are a universal fav here & have always been a go to for me. They're colorful & light weight, but big enough to be a little challenge for a medium or small fid to handle. I can do bunches of things w/them. Did I mention that they're cheap?

I've actually never had a problem introducing them to any of the fids. But if there was any reason for concern, here's yet another idea for how they might be offered.

spiralStraws.jpg

http://parrotoutreachsociety.org/donationsstore/market-place-2

:) And this is how it's done :)

http://hiphiphooraymagazine.com/crafts/drinking%20straw%20project.pdf

Edited by birdhouse

For the record, straw bursts are fairly large & not normally foot toys. Kura just didn't feel like waiting for me to hang that one. Since she's big enough to, she carried it off while my back was turned. lol

No exceptions, straws are a universal fav here & have always been a go to for me. They're colorful & light weight, but big enough to be a little challenge for a medium or small fid to handle. I can do bunches of things w/them. Did I mention that they're cheap?

I've actually never had a problem introducing them to any of the fids. But if there was any reason for concern, here's yet another idea for how they might be offered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23684[/ATTACH]

http://parrotoutreachsociety.org/donationsstore/market-place-2

:) And this is how it's done :)

http://hiphiphooraymagazine.com/crafts/drinking%20straw%20project.pdf

Sorry Val that I suggested a first toy under these circumstances that didn't agree with yours. My concerns were as I stated about a "pointed toy", nothing more....There's nothing wrong with straw toys...Or someone having a different opinion then yours...

Ive never had problems what Marco ingesting anything shes torn up. Another huge favorite toy and super cheap like straws are those chinese finger torture things I pick them up at a party supply store but in a pinch you can pick them up at a Dollar General.. and you can make toys with them as well. One of the first toys I made for Marco when bringing her home was made from straw and a plastic hanging chain link thing and she loves it!

• 1 month later...

Welcome Shelbie and Irwin. I was so excited to see another rehome TAG. We have Gilbert and he was considered a bird "with issues" and had been in probably four homes before ours and they thought he was somewhere from seven to ten years old when we got him a little over two years ago. Irwin is doing well with you in such a short time and your patience and gentleness will pay big dividends when he finally decides to trust you. Your instincts are already great so follow your heart where Irwin is concerned. One of the things that seemed to help Gilbert is predictability. As it got toward bed time, I would turn off three lamps in the same sequence about ten minutes apart. He knew when the second lamp was off, he got an almond in the shell for his night time treat and then the lights were turned off for bed time. After a while, I could let him out of his cage and when the second light went out, he would go in on his own waiting on his favorite sleep perch for his almond. Another thing I learned was he didn't like me to come through a doorway without announcing myself. I learned to whistle a little as I came up from the basement and he knew I was going to be coming through the door. He is a beauitful little TAG, thanks so much for joining us.