NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need help, please!

itsjustnikki

Tango has decided that he would like to scream anytime people leave the room. Even if it doesn't leave him alone in the room he will scream. He is fully flighted and has the ability to fly anywhere he wants (but doesn't) but I can't take him with me everywhere I go. Sometimes I am trying to do things without him. He has plenty of things to do when I need to do things without him, but he is not interested. I try to rule out that he has all that he needs (his snacks, food, sprays, almonds- the other things that usually make him scream excessively) So I think he is definitely just being a brat.

Unfortunately, we have both fed into this behavior by picking him up to get him to stop, and now he is out of control and a little monster bird lol. :)

I need suggestions on how to train him to stop this it is driving not only me crazy, but my boyfriend who is not so much a bird lover is at his boiling point.

I am willing to try pretty much anything (within reason of course)

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Reinforced behaviours are tough to break. It will take patience and time for Tango to learn the screaming won't yield what he wants. You will have to ignore his calls, even when you come back into the room. Once he quiets down, then praise and reward.

What concerns me is your statement:

I try to rule out that he has all that he needs (his snacks, food, sprays, almonds- the other things that usually make him scream excessively)

If he is screaming for other things, and gets them, then you are reinforcing the screaming in more then one context. It is being reinforced in almost a global context. I recommend paying attention the next few days to see what you do when he does scream, and figure out a consistent, unrewarding response to slowly de-emphasize the behaviour.

Edited by Spinner

Thanks, I kinda thought that's what I was going to have to do. But I wasn't sure if birds would exactly respond to ignoring a behavior/rewarding quiet like a dog does.

I am not sure if I was clear in that statement, "I try to rule out that he has all that he needs (his snacks, food, sprays, almonds- the other things that usually make him scream excessively) if I deviate from routine with Tango and don't give him snacks or food and sprays when he expects them he can get a little cranky and become vocal and scream excessively like he wants more that what I am giving him. Even if I am holding him he will scream.

This is as soon as someone leaves his line of sight the screaming starts. I can't explain it but it is a different sounding scream.

Yep, another case of parront training needed. Tango is only doing what works. He screams, he gets attention. Remember, even negative attention is a reward for them. They're flock animals, so what they want most is attention from the other members of their flock. The only thing you can to do is to ignore the screaming 100% of the time. If you're in the room and can't leave when he screams, make a sad face, say 'no', and keep your back to him. Keep your body language sad. Do not reward him with any attention until he quiets or makes a more acceptable noise. If he does make a better noise try to immediately give him positive feedback. You and everyone else in the household has to be 100% consistent during this training time. Remember, if you respond after he's screamed for 1/2 an hour, you've just taught him that he NEEDS to scream for 1/2 an hour. Buy some of those foam earplugs that let in noise but take the edge off the loudest ones, and hunker down for a few very crappy days. He's almost guaranteed to ramp up the negative behaviour before he finally gets the message. This is the only effective way of dealing with this behaviour and estinguishing annoying or excessively loud noises. You have to invest the time and patience now in order to have a positive and pleasant relationship with Tango going further. You can come on here to vent if you need to during the process. Lots of us have walked this path more that once. I promise it works. You can do it. (hugs)

Edited by Acappella

Turning your back can be a wonderful thing and is something I have used with quakers. It clearly sends a message without emotion. Just be aware that things might get worse before they get better. Tangos screams might worsen as he continues trying to elicit your attention but be strong. When he stops screaming turn around and talk with him. When he starts again turn back around. Consider it a birdie form of tough love. Its tough on everyone but your doing it because you love him.

In the middle of the night last night, Oscar started whistling and calling out for attention. My roommate wasn't too pleased with this, so I felt compelled to rush in and shush Oscar, even offering him a nut. Don't worry, I didn't! I grit my teeth for a good ten minutes and eventually he quieted down on his own. Ten minutes may not sound like a lot, but remember, this was the middle of the night and I live in an apartment with nearby neighbors. If I had gone to Oscar, he would have learned that it takes at least ten minutes of noise to get my attention (and a nut reward). The next night he might have held out for that attention and nut, making noise for twenty minutes... Things could quickly get out of hand. I agree that this is really all about "parront" training, and that you are in for a few tricky/ noisy/ crappy days. But hang in there! It will get better as long as you are consistent. You are making a great choice coming onto the forum to vent about it, we are here to help. :)

Thanks everyone! I am embarrassed to admit that I have experience with dog training so I know better than to let him get away with all of these things, I am not sure what happened. I think my need to make sure that my previous roommates didn't kill Tango took over and I would just grab him or do what ever it took to quiet him down. I am now paying the price (and so is my boyfriend). Yesterday was the first full day of everyone ignoring the screaming 100% of the time and I think even the dogs are going to have a breakdown, but we will get through it. Hopefully.

On to day 2. He is already testing my patience. I did have a question, how long after he is quiet should I wait to give him praise. Sometimes he will scream and scream and be quiet for like 30 seconds, then scream again. I want to praise him when he quiets down, but sometimes its such a short time, I don't have time.

Edited by itsjustnikki

I'd make it very short. If he's quiet for 10 seconds re-appear and head towards his cage, or turn around, and quietly praise the heck out of him. Smiling, laughing, clapping, whatever your voice and body can do to show approval. I say quietly praise, as opposed to being loud and happy, because I don't think right now you want to raise the decibel level. It might confuse him. As you head towards the cage, smile, tell him what a good boy he is. If he starts screaming again make a dramatic change in body language, shake your head NO, sad face again and walk away/turn your back. The day you make it to the cage be sure to have a treat in your pocket to further re-inforce the quiet. I'll try to send a little strength and patience your way today. Don't back down or yesterday's suffering will have been for nothing. they can be stubborn little monsters, so you have to be more stubborn!