NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gibberish? Is my CAG talking or just making noise?

Chenliu85

Hi my bird Socrates just turned 1 years old about a month ago. She is beginning to make a lot of noise that sounds awfully like human sounds. She constantly speaks to herself but it sounds like gibberish. When a guest comes over, I try to ask her to talk but she gets very shy and does not speak a word. Her squeaks and squeals kind of sound like the noise around her but nothing distinct. For example, her dog barks sound more like dog whines. Perhaps it is me but I keep on hearing her making a sound that vaguely sound like "hello". This is my first CAG baby, so if anyone have experience with raising a CAG, please let me know if Socrates' behavior is the beginning of mimicking human speech?

Socrates is "Calibrating" that human hello. They do this under their breath and it sounds garbled until they get it perfected. Once it is perfected, you will hear it loud and clear. She is not mimicking, she knows Hello is appropriate to greet someone.

[QUOTE=Chenliu85;279907] When a guest comes over, I try to ask her to talk but she gets very shy and does not speak a word. ?/QUOTE]

This is a very common thing that greys do. The large majority of greys won't speak when guests are around. At times, they''l even become quiet when the owners are around. Expect her to do that frequently.

LOL Marco was doing that (and still is about a month ago) and all of a sudden ... its hello hello hello hello hello hello leave the room come back hello walk outside come back hello go to the bathroom come back hello wake up in the morning hello come home from work ... LOL thats all she does LMAO she dont care whos in the room either :D and now shes onto What doing? What doing? What doing? lol

fasten your seatbelt the ride is just beginning!!!

Absolutely! Gibberish always progresses to words! What you think you heard? You probably did! Even though Sophie is 12 now and talks up a storm.... when she wants to continue to talk but doesn't have the words, she falls back on baby talk. Of course some people talk alot, and some don't. Our family talks WAY too much and she tries to keep up. If she isn't sure about what words to use, she breaks into gibberish! Nancy

Our family talks WAY too much and she tries to keep up. If she isn't sure about what words to use, she breaks into gibberish! Nancy

Thats not gibberish. It is Sophies way of becoming bored with all the talk and doing the the grey version of " Oh Jesus people, Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla, Paleeeeze!". :P

• 4 months later...

I think my Cag is doing the same thing. She is 9 months old and for the last few weeks, she has been making deep croaky muttering sounds, she does this when she is sat on top of her cage on her own, she does it all the time, it's sounds that she's trying to talk, I do hope so! She is very intelligent, she can whistle the first verse of always look on the bright side of life, good the bad and the ugly, off to a tee, and of course a full wolf whistle. It would make my day if she did say something.

From about 8 to 11 months Gracie was a babbler. From 11-12 months about 10 words came. Than at 13 months the words just poured out and it hasn't stopped. Sounds like your fid is following the same path. I look forward to hearing more as it evolves.