NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do i let it out now or not yet?

Baz

Hi guys, so I just got my Grey about 20 hours ago, and I was wondering to I let it out of it's cage or not yet? It is in my room at the moment and the windows and doors are sealed, but I really want to start seeing it outside the cage and flying and spreading it's wings a bit, chilling on my shoulders and so on. A little advice will help. Thanks!

What have you named your grey? If this were my new grey, I would just make sure he is comfortable with food and water and lots of unhampered space. I would talk to him, tell him what I am doing and let he get use to seeing me and getting to know that I am his friend and will not harm him. Once he starts coming over to the side of the cage that you are on and watching you will curiosity and interest, I would then open the cage and let him come out on his own. But this will not happen while he is still afraid, growling and screaming. Do not force him to interact with you, he must want to do so on his own. He must first trust you and this can only happen in grey time. Which is on his time table not yours. I know it is hard to wait but so worth it in the terms of a long and trusting relationship. Patience.

Edited by luvparrots

Patience patience patience. Your main job right now is to establish trust. If he is fearful and screaming he is no where near ready to leave his cage. You have to let him have his cage as his safe zone while he looks around and evaluates his new home. If you let him out and have to manhandle him to get him back in it will destroy any sense of safety he has. He could become cage defensive. I know it's hard, but you have to take the advice of the people here who know greys, especially those of us who have re-homed birds that came with lots of negative baggage. Watch his body language. Sit by his cage and let him approach you from inside the cage. Ideally, you would have a long perch that runs from one side of the cage to the other. Sit at one end and let him decide how close to you he wants to come. If he does get close to you watch his body language for signs of aggression or fear (Theres a thread in the Training forum room all about body language).

There's a saying, you only get one chance at a first impression. Right now your bird is forming his first impression of you and his new home. You want him to feel safe, protected, respected, even a little curious. You want him to feel like he has a little bit of control in how his day goes. Just chill and don't get jealous of others here who are able to get close to their birds. For many, like me and Dorian, it took literally years to get there. You're doing a good thing giving this guy a new home, but he doesn't know it yet. Oh, and I would NEVER allow a bird that you barely know and who is showing signs of fear and aggression any where near your shoulder. Even well loved companion parrots who have been with their owners since babyhood have to earn that priviledge. I love my guy but he is far too skittish to ever be on my shoulder, ever ever ever. ever :)