NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Please help, male or female

Baz

Hello everybody,

I found these forums and therefore I signed up because I wanted to know if my African grey is a male or female so therefore I decided to ask experienced owners.

Here are a few pictures of my African grey because I believe that you could know if it is a male or a female from the tail.

IaMsNRU.jpg

cRt8PsO.jpg

9CdfTPq.jpg

Thank you :-)

Edited by Baz

Looking at feather patterns is a very unrealible old fashioned method for sexing birds. Feathers change with age. Today, most people get a DNA test done by their vet or by companies that specialize in DNA testing. The price is about $20 from those companies. Vets cost more. All that's required is a drop of blood or a feather. Check Avian Biotec. They will send you the kit and instructions for free. Their results are sent back to you with a 99% guarantee certificate.

Thank you for your replies, I have edited the pictures and re-sized them. Well anyways, I contacted my vet in Kuwait (Working here for 6 months), but they are really expensive, I will pay around 173 dollars (Converted) in order to DNA test them and the results will be released in 2 weeks. I checked out the website you recommended, and will look deeper into it, in the meantime I requested my driver to go back to the owner and check with him if it is a male or a female, I was stupid enough that excitement stole my brain at that moment and IO forgot to ask my pets sex. /facepalm

Hopefully the owner will know, but they may have not had DNA sexing done either. As Aerial pointed out, some breeders/owners think they know, but until the DNA comes back you really don't know. Timber is 5, and has never been tested. I forgot to ask at the vet last time about the cost. Good luck :)