NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey wont eat any fruit i give it.

OceanCrazy

• 1 month later...

OceanCrazy...open the door! Teach bird to stepup and down off the door. Once this is established, put bird on a gym that you have in front of the cage. Cleaning cages should be done without them in them.This is a job! My birds know it is cage cleaning day. I'm doing this for them, NOT for fun! I can't even imagine my birds protesting! Nancy

• 1 month later...

Thank you. I have let Elliott know that I have been giving him too much fruit (but not too badly). All he said was OH. Then he made the sound of a pop top, like perhaps in place of that I should give him a coke. Silly bird.

He seems to love apples, bananas, mashed potatoes (shhh, just a touch of those, almonds, and broccoli. Not quite as fond of carrots, but he eats a little of them. I think he has been veggie poor in his diet for quite some time. It seems like he eats constantly. Could be that I am watching him all the time hoping to pet him. lol

Timber is like that too. If I am eating a banana he will take a small piece, but drops most of it. I was really surprised that he doesn't even care for grapes, which seem to be a favorite with many. I was relieved when I started reading here and other places and found that fruit isn't a necessity in their diets, and should only be given in small amounts. He was interested in the pomegranate, but I suspect that was only for "destructive play." I'm sure he got a few tastes, but most of it ended up on the floor (and bars) of the cage.

Think of it this way, in the wild available food would change from the wet season to the dry season. Fruits, fresh shoots, leaves, flowers, leaf buds and insects are all more available in the wet season. Seed, Grains, tubers, bark and grubs in the dry season. Considering these seasonal diet variations might encourage us to think along those lines and provide a similar waxing and waning in what we feed. A thought to consider at least.

I will be honest... I provide my birds with a " platter of fresh fruits and veggies" daily. Three choices of veggies, one of fruits. They do their thing. Its all gone when I get home. Switch it up the next day.Of course, I went thru the stage of throwing anything healthy, at the walls! Just continued to do it. Carrots and green beans are a favorite. Protein is important. I just never had to go crazy, since Kiki was a veggie nut. She taught the rest. Nancy