NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Playtime... err lack thereof...

paleale

Of course it has only been 4 days since Pearl came home. Lots of big changes for her and I certainly don't think we're even close to seeing her let loose yet. She hasn't been doing a lot of playing though. When we put her on a table with her toys, she might take a quick nibble our inspection, but she usually comes right back to me.

Today I tried about 10 times... taking her from my chest, placing her back on the table and saying in a fun, quiet voice, "It's playtime, Pearl!" I also tried to make dinner prep fun. I let her hang out on the countertop while I cut her veggies. She didn't try to sneak a bite, or toy around with an empty yogurt container I showed her. She was only concerned with getting back in my hands or cuddling on my chest. I am happy to cuddle her, but I have other things to do and am trying to be as fair as I can with my time. Pearl is getting a little more attention than everyone else in the house because she's still adjusting, but she has to know she can't be on me 24/7.

I'm sure Monday and today have been especially hard on her with it being the start of the work week. I get up an hour earlier every day to get time with her in the morning. Not much cuddling in the morning, but she gets on her playtop and eats and eats while I get myself and the rest of my family ready. I don't have anything against morning cuddles, but being that I'm gone during the day M-F, I guess I feel like I don't want to spoil her with something she can't have for 8 hours.

I need your suggestions, guys! Thank you!

You are wise to set normal expectations for Pearl. She needs to get used to your work schedule and absence. I would continue to give her extra attention in small doses, and then return her to deal with a degree of independence. What strikes me most about your post is how different all of our birds are, and how we face unique challenges with them. When I first got Gracie I would have given anything for your problem. My grey was never a cuddler. I have yet to touch her head or neck. After a year with me she finally perched on my shoulder for a few minutes this past Christmas. I was so excited I had a picture taken and posted it here. I would pay serious money to have one cuddle with Gracie. It may never happen. On the other hand, she loves her toys, is very self confident, never bites, talks up a storm and shows her love in many non-tactile ways. She isn't fearful and accepts new people and situations. Just like humans, we have to accept our greys as they are and be thankful for what they bring to our lives. As a young bird Pearl is at her most cuddly. She may remain that way, but odds are she will gradually become more "her own person" as she matures. Enjoy that (With her best interest in mind) while you can.

Edited by JeffNOK

As a point in reference, Your time frame has been one year, with Joe, my time frame has been four years, in that time, maybe a kiss on the nose, maybe alight on the shoulder, no physical contact for almost four years. Than one day, the shoulder is found, a crawl down the arm [OMG] a head dip and a coo, then a full body pet for over five minutes, like your petting a dog, full body contact!!!!!!! It happens, it can happen, it will happen, no matter how long the wait.......................................................Time stands still.

Edited by Jayd

Give it a few weeks. She will start playing and being more independent as she grows older. You can help by encouraging her to climb, explore and forage. For now she'll want you to do it for her but try and teach her to do it herself. We used trails of favorite seeds as encouragement to encourage him to explore. Now he is all over the place.

You are presently her flock and security. It is normal that she relies on being with you as she learns from you what is ok and normal. As others said, she will become bolder in baby steps over time. Enjoy these baby days/weeks, you will cherish them the rest of your life. :)