NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chewing?!

Guest Jocelyn

Guest Jocelyn

Okay what am I doing wrong, he has plenty of toys is always outside of his cage, seems to be quite chatty, allows pets, whistles eats and drinks well, then two weeks ago I noticed him cleaning extra around his neck now its all scraggly and I think he is chewing at it! I have tried different toys and attention nothing seems to help! He seems happy I don't get it!?

I read a post somewhere on here from Dave I think it was and he was saying it can be caused by sexual frustration we just started to be able to pet him on his back could that be it? Am I missing something?

chewy.jpg

He is over preening and may be starting a little plucking in that neck area. It could also be molting in that area. If it is molting, until those feathers have fallen out and new pin feathers are coming in. They are very itchy and irritating to a bird. They can look raggedy until the new feathers are fully in. Either way, the first thing I would suggest is to start misting him with 100 percent Aloe juice from a spray bottle especially in that neck area. It sooths away that itchiness if you do it at least 3 or 4 times a week.

If you have not already familiarized yourself on using Aloe juice, here is the link to Dave's article on it: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189967-100-natural-aloe-vera-juice

Edited by danmcq

Okay what am I doing wrong, he has plenty of toys is always outside of his cage, seems to be quite chatty, allows pets, whistles eats and drinks well, then two weeks ago I noticed him cleaning extra around his neck now its all scraggly and I think he is chewing at it! I have tried different toys and attention nothing seems to help! He seems happy I don't get it!?

I read a post somewhere on here from Dave I think it was and he was saying it can be caused by sexual frustration we just started to be able to pet him on his back could that be it? Am I missing something?

You must be thinking of someone else. I never said that picking/scratching/pulling neck feathers had to do with sexual frustration. The skin may be dry. He may be trying to pull out old feathers or feathers that're irritating him. The area should be moistened frequently. Dan said aloe vera juice which is a good and inexpensive product.

Edited by judygram