NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello! A Couple of brief questions from a Newbie

Cyard

I have to tell you that I am sooooo happy that I found this site. I have been considering an African Grey and am trying to prepare myself to be the best parent possible. I have several bird books (though focased on several types of birds) and I have a wonderful vet that is a great resource but he has Amazons and I have read that African Greys are more sensitive. So I think any advice that can be given from those who have direct experience is much appreciated. Can anyone suggest any books that really helped them?

I did have an African Red Belly that passed away a year ago (old age per the vet)and I have finally decided that it is time to invite another wonderful bird into our home. My biggest concern is my children's cat, any tips for acclimating them is very much appreciated.

Well, I have 3 cats and two dogs in my house and all it took was a few nips to the tails to let them all know that the grey is the boss. I've yet to ever have a problem with cat on bird...I've only have Bird on cat problems. As for books, I read every one I could get my hands on and they are really all the same. I think that the books on Parrots in general are better. For info on Greys this site had answered more questions I have had more than any book. Feel free to ask any questions you have and I guarantee you will get the best answers out there.

I can't say it enough, the book "For the Love of Greys" is the best book IMO for general Grey care from birth to adult. It is super informative and an easy read I enjoy it very much!!!

I couldn't tell you much about the cats as I only have birds, but I'm sure someone else on here could give you some pointers!

Why don't you go to the welcome room and introduce yourself, we'd love to get to know you better! Welcome!!!!

My cats pretty much ignored my CAG. I think they were pretty intimidated by his size. The dogs were interested but soon figured out that birds were bad juju when I was around.

Both cats and dogs lost interest really quickly. I never fully trusted them, but I had Pepper fly onto one of the dogs, and he just lay there and waited for me to come and get the small feathered nusiance and rescue him. The cats just stayed away from him.

Yes you do and I believe the cat and bird can get along but I would never leave the bird out without supervision when the cat is around. Just use common sense and they can co-exist.

I second the suggestion of the book that Lovie recommended, that is an excellent source of information on greys.

I live with four cats, a cockatoo and two greys, I had no problem with the cats, they don't harm the birds at all they just get curious at times but then they know some how the birdie are not safe for them, the birds on the other hands been chasing away all the cats in the house and outside the house, so I don't think you need to worry! Just worry for your children cat!

I live with four cats, a cockatoo and two greys, I had no problem with the cats, they don't harm the birds at all they just get curious at times but then they know some how the birdie are not safe for them, the birds on the other hands been chasing away all the cats in the house and outside the house, so I don't think you need to worry! Just worry for your children cat!