NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dear Oscar

MoonRock

Dear Oscar,

I know life hasn't been easy on you. Humans have failed you repeatedly. So I wanted to write you and thank you for your willingness to let me into your world and forge a connection with you. You have no reason at all to trust me, yet somehow you are striving to do just that. You know how I sit and talk to you, and we laugh and whistle back and forth? This is your life now, buddy. And it will be, forever. From now on in your life, you will always have gentle handling. No more forced step ups (though we will still work on this skill, within your own timeframe). And certainly, no more bare cage, infrequent meals, yelling humans, and scary little kids throwing apple chunks at you...

I love your silly sounds, your spunkiness and sense of humor. I appreciate that you tell me "yeah" when you want something, and now you even give me a cute "hello"! Unfortunately I will never learn to speak your bird language, but I promise to try to understand what you are telling me. It is up to me to accommodate you, and not the other way around. As you have experienced, many humans do not know this fact.

Whether wild-caught or bred, your early experiences were harsh. I doubt you will ever forget them. But if you continue to give me a chance to show you that humans can be attentive and kind, I would be very grateful.

Lastly, I want you to know that the other Greys you saw, like Kya and Emeka, can be your friends too. I know it was strange for you to see other birds for the first time after your dear Amazon friend passed away so many years ago. But as you saw, there are other birds out there, and the humans who love them. I know you noticed how gentle Blueberrytunes and her buddy were with their Grey friends. This is how humans are supposed to be with the beings in their care. This is your life now. As best I can, I will make sure no one hurts you ever again.

With warmth, sincerity, and a growing love,

MoonRock