NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Overcoming mistakes

SRSeedBurners

I learned today I made a mistake in trying to harness Greycie without going through the steps provided with the harness (aviator). When I was at the breeders she harnessed her with lots of growling and carrying on which I figured was normal. Turns out it's not. We asked that she be harness trained in the couple weeks before we picked her up but apparently that didn't happen. So when I got the harness on, I knew I was in for it trying to get it off.

I'm assuming a trust issue has been broken here and she will be harder now to harness train. I still have yet to watch the video but we have resorted to hanging the harness near her when we get the chance. For example, it was hanging off the cupboard over her head while she ate breakfast - no issues. Hanging off my ear when she was sitting on my shoulder before I head out to work. I'm thinking of getting her to poke her head through it or under it or something to get food/treats until she readily accepts it. We're working on the holding the wing up too.

Wondering just how forgiving Grey's are.

Please, please watch the video that came with the harness. There is a thread in the training section about following directions for harnessing a bird, and what can happen when gone about the wrong way...

In my experience with Oscar I have found him to have a long memory but also to be forgiving. I made mistakes with regards to pushing him too hard for a step up. The avian veterinarian told me to take it easy on my little guy, and that the "step up" command is actually pretty advanced. I need to start very gently and slowly.

I really wanted to share something with you here. The veterinarian asked me how Oscar did at his grooming appointment. I said, "Well, not GREAT but not too bad..." The veterinarian said, "You know what? When people tell me that their bird didn't enjoy something, I know that the bird REALLY didn't enjoy that something. The external physiological signs of a bird finally calming down can be very misleading. Do you see how Oscar looks calmer in this moment? I have the stethoscope on him and I can actually tell that there have been NO changes in his anxiety level, based on his rapid heart rate. But to you, he looks calmer...."

What Dr. Olsen said really struck me, because yeah- I tend to "push" Oscar harder based on how he SEEMS- calm, OK, "better". Well birds are good about hiding discomfort and anxiety, so if you can tell that Greycie was pretty freaked out about the harness, she was likely REALLY freaked out. So take it super easy on your sweet little girl. You will have many, many years together so there is no need to rush anything. :)