NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Showering

aw64

Hi guys well the experience from this site is paying off, just been watching african greys showering on u tube and I got mad! as most birds are clipped and have no choice but to be blasted even saw a couple padding around in the bottom of bath no towel to stand on to stop slipping, makes me so happy I have found you guys to point me in the right direction.

And for any of you that have posts on u tube I'm sure i have not seen them as the ones of seen would not be you guys I'm sure.

At present we are taking it very slow in the shower not there yet but getting closer, and put a shallow dish in the bottom of cage again not there yet, was able to hand spray but Alfie has decided thats for attack only now, typical, I am still spraying but only every other day and not as much as I understand he should be getting but we will get there, and after what I have just watched slowly doing it so he is happy to shower, I hope!

wow I should totally video marco in the shower :) we made her a little perch she sits on with some flexible wrap stuff round it so she had something to grip onto and she just loves the water ... I bring marco in the shower with me and let her sit ontop of the shower on the bar while I finish my shower then I get her and bring her in with me too sometimes :D

Sorry wingy not here to judge so it works for some then, maybe it looked worse watching it then it really is then.

Aerial, yes alot had bathroom perches which is the way I plan to go once we have worked out the water is ok.

I take Storm in the shower with me usually once a week, he doesn't love it but he he really doesn't seem to mind it either, he now lets me take him under the running shower with me, when he starts looking for his shower perch I put him back on it, Sometimes I will spray him with the sprayer while in there... HE gets pretty wet, not as wet as I think he should but for not it works, he is also only 7 months old so we have lots of time to learn about showering.

We have progressed again today got Alfie on perch which i put across the bath and he stayed there a good 10 mins + I sat just talking to him, shower was running but no water touched him yet but another small step made, he is flighted so as soon as he says enough off he goes!

Alfie is doing great. You are doing a wonderful job in working with him on showering. Every grey is so different and we all just have had to figure out how we can get them to bathe. Dayo will no longer go near the shower other than perching on top of the shower door and watching. I must mist him until drenched with a spray bottle while he is caged or put out a pan and he will do it himself.

I figured I'd jump into this one - Ivan hates - I mean HATES - to be misted - so I took him into the shower with me. At first he was apprehensive, but then after I turned down the spray velocity, he now will walk right under the water. He doesn't get entirely wet, which is why I am a little concerned. He does this pose where he kind of tightens up and makes his body concave so as to let the water just run down his outer feathers and off. You can see actual beads of water just sitting on his neck and head. I try to lift his wing - not too happy on that one. So I'm wondering if the water on his outer feathers plus the steam from the shower - is that enough?

Hi Cagonite I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will be better able to answer this for you but as far as I understand the wetter the better, but as he will walk under water it can only get better and maybe he will start flapping wings ect in time to let the water in, is Ivan a young bird?

Sorry wingy not here to judge so it works for some then, maybe it looked worse watching it then it really is then.

Aerial, yes alot had bathroom perches which is the way I plan to go once we have worked out the water is ok.

No offense taken. I am sure I would be appalled if I were watching a video of tub time here but its what works for us right now. I aim the shower head in the middle where he runs and slides back and forth with his wings open. He stands off to the side away from the water when he is finished or if he isn't interested. What he doesn't like is being wet afterward. When I put him back on his cage top he will hold his wings out and look at me in disgust.

LMAO at look of disgust!!! I think at first Marco got misted even at the petstore thats where she got her first "bath" then a couple more times from home then I was just like ... I'll bring her in the shower with me course NOW I wouldnt say she LOVES the water but she doesnt mind it! Keep up the great work!